ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Class in CUSA 4 years in a Row

It's just that Solich seems to have Doc's number. He knows how to take The Herd out of their offensive scheme and we never have a Plan B to go to. And, don't forget the game a couple years back when they completed about 50 slants on us and we never came up with a solution.

We just don't seem to adjust on the fly once we're stopped in our initial game plan.

Then, the Bobcats lose to half the bums in The MAC !

Hope you're right, Ohio. WKU getting QB's transferring in, they play with a ton of emotion against us...we don't seem to match their zeal to win. MTSU seems to make it personal against us with 2 wins out of our 3 10-win seasons. And, thank God we don't have to go to Athens for a few years... Going there never seems to end well.

These are the teams we need to start handling every year. Our success can't only be measured because we whip up on the conference cupcakes. Biggest challenge in conference this year will probably be @ USM.
New coach and new system should play to our favor though.

It's just that Solich seems to have Doc's number. He knows how to take The Herd out of their offensive scheme and we never have a Plan B to go to. And, don't forget the game a couple years back when they completed about 50 slants on us and we never came up with a solution.

We just don't seem to adjust on the fly once we're stopped in our initial game plan.

Then, the Bobcats lose to half the bums in The MAC !
why did you have to bring up the slants? Now I can't get that horrible picture out of my mind! LOL

Classic coaching job of "keep going back to it until they stop it"...we simply never stopped it, until the game clock hit 00:00

Thank God we do have both WKU & MTSU at home this year. Stopping Nick Mullins at USM is going to be our barometer of success this year...very possible that we might also meet them again in the Conference Championship Game.

If we win the regular season at their place, we'll probably host them in the Championship Game.
However, if they win the regular season meeting, we'll probably have to face them a second time in Hattiesburg.

I don't have a good feeling about that.

Let me say up front I like Solich. I live in Athens and have talked to him on several occasions. Great coach and even better guy.So in 11 years he has a record of 80-61 in Athens. He has no conference titles and no Top 25 finishes.Frank is 2-5 in bowls. Doc has been in Huntington now for 6 seasons. Doc is now 50-28.He has 1 Top 25 finish and 1 conference title. Doc is 4-0 in bowls. My point is this, I refuse to say that Doc is a second rate coach when compared to coaches like Solich because he is 2-4 in head to head match ups. He is preforming better than Frank and fast forward 5 years and his accomplishments on the field will surely surpass those of Frank.

Solich may not always outcoach his opponents, but he always seems to have Doc's number for some reason.

Reactions: 31Herd55
Yeah that situation with Birsong injury performance all on Doc none on Legg Birdsong etc. Same deal with Butler fumbling in the endzone, All on Doc. I get it.

Yeah that situation with Birsong injury performance all on Doc none on Legg Birdsong etc. Same deal with Butler fumbling in the endzone, All on Doc. I get it.
not sure he has his number. First of all, we always have a hard time in Athens. Maybe Pedan Stadium has our number. Here are the results under BP.

1998 30-23 w
2000 28-38 l
2002 24-21 w
2004 16-13 w
Please don't forget that was when we had conference championship caliber teams and they were one of the worst in the MAC except the 2000 version. The current Ohio teams are light years ahead of those teams. I say it is a trend. I may be wrong but you can't dismiss the rivalry aspect of this game. We will fix this next time we plat them IMO.It seems to me that on this thread if you dont go 13-0 every year you are out coached. My goodness he turned us around. We are the ONLY G5 to win 10 or more games the past 3 years. Let's talk about wins over P5 schools- Maryland, Louisville and Purdue. Let's talk about letting a victory slip away in Blacksburg or a heart breaking OT loss to WVU. I think we have a good one, another Donnan/Pruett on our hands. Yes, even the great ones lose games.

Reactions: 31Herd55
A coach who lasts 11 seasons who is batting .567 in a place like OU where the band might be the big thing is quite an accomplishment.

The zenith of his career was @ Nebraska...left town under a dark cloud.

Brohm calls the plays for WKU. Not the OC. They have a USF transfer that will start for them. They won't be a pushover. Still have to stop their scheme.

WKU also has a QB transfer from Louisville that sat out last season, I think.

Also, Dawson Brent's, a graduate transfer from Louisville ( QB ) that will be eligible this Fall.

I have no idea if these guys are any good or not

Last edited:
Why is the Johnson kid not showing upon our commit list, and rivals still has him as undecided when all other sites have him as committed and signed...........

Brohm calls the plays for WKU. Not the OC. They have a USF transfer that will start for them. They won't be a pushover. Still have to stop their scheme.

I like their scheme but the players are what made it go. Not just Doughty either. They had a lot of talented receivers. But at the end of the day it's about personnel. I mean...people here trash our scheme and play calling even when we came off two top 5 offensive output years. So if there is a semblance of truth to it then it's about the players. Cato was the key in our situation. I don't expect WKU to repeat the type of year they had last year. I don't care where their transfer is from. If he was all that he'd still be there and starting.

Several schools are able to stockpile good QB's...most are super bright kids. Once they see the handwriting on the wall that someone else is going to be The Man behind center, they bail out for greener pastures. I DO hope you're right in WKU not being able to duplicate their success of last year...we definitely need to match and exceed their intensity throughout the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT