2016 Corner Commits To The Herd

Josh Stowers
HerdNation.com Staff

Related Links:
Herd Lands 2nd 2016 Commitment
Talk about it in Old Fairfield - Premium Forum

JAYLON-SAPP-150317-2.JPG
spacer1.gif

With Defensive Coordinator Chuck Heater's aggressive style of play and man-to-man coverage preference, it's important to have plenty of talent in the defensive backfield.

Head Coach Doc Holliday and his staff took another step forward in securing one of Conference USA's top defensive secondaries on Tuesday when Jaylon Sapp pledged his commitment to the Thundering Herd.

Sapp, an unrated cornerback from First Coast High School in Jacksonville, Florida, announced his commitment via Twitter just one week after being offered by Coach Heater. "I'm proud to say I'm committed to Marshall University," Sapp tweeted out...

2016 Corner Commits To The Herd

So Many unrated recruits anymore it seems. I wonder if seeing us only lose 1 game and not get the big bowl has anything to do with the level of recruits we will get now? If I were a recruit it would definitely affect my decision on where to go. If I were a 3 star and up I would not want to go to a team that has to go undefeated to get even a decent shot of getting a big bowl and then end up playing some MAC loser.

So Many unrated recruits anymore it seems. I wonder if seeing us only lose 1 game and not get the big bowl has anything to do with the level of recruits we will get now? If I were a recruit it would definitely affect my decision on where to go. If I were a 3 star and up I would not want to go to a team that has to go undefeated to get even a decent shot of getting a big bowl and then end up playing some MAC loser.

That's makes no sense since we signed 11 last year and still had one of the top G5 classes. Rankings aren't set in stone but who cares about rankings, watch his 12 min hudl tape and watch him make play after play all over the field. If you recruit just based off rankings, you end up like WVU or even worse Texas

I'm pretty sure Yurachek was unranked when he committed to Marshall in June of 2013. He ended up ranked 2 stars and only had offers from Marshall, App St, Charleston Southern, Citadel, Ga Southern, Holy Cross and Liberty.

Same thing about Gator, Shuler, Cato, and a ton of other players. We have a coaching staff that can turn no star players out of HS into 4* players

The star rating system is so hit and miss. We had a kid that came out of our HS who had a Rivals 2 star rating... He only had 2 offers North Carolina and Maryland... He not only went on to start all 4 years at Carolina at QB, where he set school records for total career passing yards, single-season passing yards and single-season total offense. He was drafted in the 5th round by the Houston Texans and is now entering his 5th season as the backup QB for the Atlanta Falcons.

ADVERTISEMENT