ADVERTISEMENT

Additional Forums ideas/feedback

Mike Gwinn

I'd rather be fishing.
Feb 26, 2002
Beckley, WV
With the new change of boards I am contemplating making a few changes to our forums lineup. I would do away with the Archives board since now there are no limits to archiving pages.

I'm thinking about adding a forum for all of our third party articles(think ESPN, Herald Dispatch, etc) and social media posts. If we post every interesting Herd related tweet, vine or article, the main boards could get junked up in a hurry. This would free up HN and OF for HerdZone and HerdNation content and Herd sports discussion.

Of course if there is something big or breaking, that's a different story. Of course those posts/articles would go on the main board. Run of the mill stuff that is of interest to Herd fans would go on this board. Its something users could check once or twice a day to read and get info. It may not be a discussion heavy board.

I am also thinking of a Conference USA Board. It would be nothing but C-USA related discussion. Hopefully we could draw users from other member schools to participate at times.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you use these boards?

I'm not sure adding a separate forum for '3rd party' articles makes a lot of sense, simply due to not enough traffic. However, a C-USA forum might be pretty good, assuming you have a clever way of letting other schools know it's out there. Perhaps a 'How do we get out of C-USA' forum would be a better one. That would draw some users.

Reactions: Mike Gwinn
Any thought about having separate forums for separate sports instead of combining everything into one?

Personally, I don't think a 3rd party forum is needed. I have never thought the main forum was too cluttered even with articles and such. The only time when the forum has become hard to keep up with is during some football games and in particular losses where you have a bunch of different posts with people venting. Even then, I think the forum is OK.

As for archives, I like being able to go back as far as possible. It's fun to look at old topics and what people are saying and contrast that with current topics.

As for archives, I like being able to go back as far as possible. It's fun to look at old topics and what people are saying and contrast that with current topics.

Board archives all posts now. So you can go back as far as you want without the need for an archives board.

I think a better colour scheme would help distinguishing the flow of the messages.

I'll be blunt - there's a poll started about 12 days ago (4/16) still on the front page of this board. On the premium board, there are threads from a week ago still on the front page. The problem is not that the boards are cluttered, the problem is there's not enough posting currently on these boards. I think you'd be looking for ways to generate more activity and discussion on the main boards, not split them up into other boards.

I actually think this board would likely dry up if you split the "Third Party" articles, especially since they tend to drive conversation in the summer months.

I'll be blunt - there's a poll started about 12 days ago (4/16) still on the front page of this board. On the premium board, there are threads from a week ago still on the front page. The problem is not that the boards are cluttered, the problem is there's not enough posting currently on these boards. I think you'd be looking for ways to generate more activity and discussion on the main boards, not split them up into other boards.

I actually think this board would likely dry up if you split the "Third Party" articles, especially since they tend to drive conversation in the summer months.

(1) It's the off-season; and (2) when the football team does well, there's not as much complaining or negativity.

Like it or not, those are two things that often drive the board's activity level up. Just saying. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT