ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Stadium Site

TwolfHerdfan

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2007
Does anyone know if Hamrick has looked into the area behind the softball complex? Its large enough for a stadium and the RR tracks would make a good boundary for the left and center field fences. Clean up the site and remove the old building on it. Possibly much easier and cheaper than the ACF lot and BASF building and their supposed EPA issues.

There looks to be enough room to place a decent sized parking lot between the softball and baseball stadiums as well. The stands could be built to look north over the river. jmo.

Does anyone know if Hamrick has looked into the area behind the softball complex? Its large enough for a stadium and the RR tracks would make a good boundary for the left and center field fences. Clean up the site and remove the old building on it. Possibly much easier and cheaper than the ACF lot and BASF building and their supposed EPA issues.

There looks to be enough room to place a decent sized parking lot between the softball and baseball stadiums as well. The stands could be built to look north over the river. jmo.
I'm sure that he and the mayor have looked at or are looking at all options.

Back to the stadium...

So you think we'd incorporate the train tracks as part of it?

You know, there could be a unique element here...we should get a little creative and model the stadium after an MLB one. Doesn't have to be as grand or as big, but something smaller and less expensive but something unique to Marshall because we'd be one of a few who would do something like it.
Considering the railroad...it'd be cool if we somehow built like a dorm or a warehouse or something, like at Camden Yards...or even use the river backdrop like San Francisco does...just something...I'm throwing ideas out here.

Someone once mentioned, which I thought would be awesome if somehow pulled off...that a club of Marshall fans would start at Pullman, and ride train cars, taking them along the river, eventually rising up a little bit, and becoming box suites around the stadium. That would be one helluva selling point for players and an attraction for casual people to just do something.

If we build this stadium, let's do something creative.

Reactions: Mike Gwinn
Amen. I will say however, most of the $ that will eventually be used to build a new Marshall University baseball stadium (and other amenities) would have to come from private sources. Regrettably, I simply don't see the state, Cabell County, or the City of Huntington having the $$$$ to build a state of the art baseball stadium anytime soon. :(

That being said, Marshall would have to start small in Huntington with at least a playable field that players don't have to worry all the time about stepping into chuckholes, 1000 to 1500 seating (with another 1000 for standing room) capacity, and easy access to the downtown campus. Then when the program can at least draw a paid attendance of 1000 to 2000 per game .... it would be easier to draw financing from private sources to expand.

The RR tracks could butt up against the left and center field fences due to their curvature. I would think CUSA would have guidelines on the number of seats, say 2500 minimum, not sure. Someone may know this.

Possibly Mayor Williams could look into TIF funds to help build it, thats how Pullman was built and the new WVU field as well.

Maybe we can have a coal train roll through like they did in the middle of a game in brewsters millions

Pollution hot... We the proper brownfield remediation plan and cap a stadium could be built on that site... UofL did it so can we... But it will take a coordinated effort from the CIty to the State to Feds and alot of people in between to make it happen...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT