ADVERTISEMENT

Big Green Discussion

Mike Gwinn

I'd rather be fishing.
Feb 26, 2002
Beckley, WV
This is an informational thread for people to ask questions about the Big Green and for feedback. This thread is not about attacking individuals on the staff. If you don't like someone on the staff personally that's fine but that's not what we're looking for here. Keep it on topic, please.

1.) The Big Green Scholarship Foundation is the fundraising arm for Marshall Athletics. The Big Green's Annual Fund transfers money to the university in order to help fund athletic scholarships, and soon to be full cost of attendance, for more than 350 Marshall student athletes. Currently the Big Green transfers about half of the cost of scholarships, a little over $2M. The deficit is covered by the athletic budget. If the Big Green were able to transfer 100% of the scholarship cost it would free up another $2-3M to be used by the department's athletic programs. The Big Green has about 3,000 members currently.

2.) The full cost of attendance for all of Marshall's student athletes could increase the total cost by as much as $800,000 per year. The full cost of attendance are expenses above the cost of tuition and could include things such as tuition fees, miscellaneous personal expenses, transportation, loan origination fees and administrative fees.

3.) You do not have to be Marshall alumnus/alumnae to join the Big Green and enjoy all the benefits of being a member. You do not have to be wealthy to be a member.

4.) With reconfiguration of donor levels and pay options, you can join now for as little as $10 per month. You can pay a lump sum or have your donation deducted from a checking/savings account or credit card. There are several payment options available for recurring drafts. To set up a monthly draft you must call the Big Green at 304-696-4661.

5.) Priority Points determine the rank and order you can purchase season tickets, priority parking, tickets to off-campus athletic events such as the Capital Classic, away game and bowl game tickets before they go on sale to the public. Joining the Big Green AND being a season ticket holder are the fastest ways to accumulate priority points and move up the ranking list.

6.) Other benefits of being a Big Green member include discounts at 27 Huntington area restaurants, 4 local sporting goods stores, 4 automotive dealers/repair shops, 2 local golf courses, 10 retail stores and 5 companies that offer different services in the Huntington area. Donations are tax deductible.

7.) The Big Green is currently running a promotion called the "110% Club." It is for new and existing Big Green members. Members simply pledge to donate 10% more than in 2014 and you are eligible for weekly drawings- prizes include apparel, game tickets, memorabilia and tickets to special events. You also earn extra priority points depending on the donation level.

Take the next step in your support of Marshall Athletics. Call 304-696-4661 or find out more info here!

Mike, good information. you can actually join at $5 a month or $60 per year. Per page 8 of the packet it will be listed. It is the "Marco" level. I would encourage people to go ahead and try $10 per month as they gets you the subscription to the Herd Insider as well as some other benefits. Looking at the per month amounts can help it make it affordable to join. In my opinion from a benefit perspective, the discounts you get at Huntington area businesses more than pays for the donation.

Good information posted here. I encourage all Herd fans to donate even if at the $60 or $120 level. Every little bit helps and adds up.

Reactions: Mike Gwinn
Mike, good information. you can actually join at $5 a month or $60 per year. Per page 8 of the packet it will be listed. It is the "Marco" level. I would encourage people to go ahead and try $10 per month as they gets you the subscription to the Herd Insider as well as some other benefits. Looking at the per month amounts can help it make it affordable to join. In my opinion from a benefit perspective, the discounts you get at Huntington area businesses more than pays for the donation.

Good information posted here. I encourage all Herd fans to donate even if at the $60 or $120 level. Every little bit helps and adds up.

$60 is the minimum annual donation you can make but the minimum amount they'll deduct from a credit card or checking/savings account each month is $10. My post wasn't very clear on that, sorry for the confusion! But agreed, every little bit helps and adds up.

I don't think I have ever seen an ad in the HD or Gagette about joining the BG and being able to do it for as little as $5 a month. I bet the ROI would be solid.

I use my card for discounts at participating business's. It saves me a bunch over the course of the year.

Don't really care about points. I don't give for the points.

I never knew I could contribute to the Big Green in this way until last year. I appreciate being able to do $25 a month. I just sent in a separate check for the extra 10%. I can't do a lot, but I can give this way.

It's not complicated. A lot more people would contribute monthly if they were aware of it I would think.

If only the Alumni would respond. I've sent them a donation for the past two years and I'm still carrying the card that expired 2013. It's no wonder people don't stay active.

Good info. Everyone can give something.

On thing I wish they would do about the discounts. Some are good only in Huntington. Some are statewide, some are statewide plus Ashland & Ironton. Some are Huntington - Teays Valley. Some are Huntington - Teays Valley - Charleston. It would be nice if a universal policy could be developed.

ADVERTISEMENT