ADVERTISEMENT

MU PRESS RELEASE Broadcast Agreements Prompt Changes to Marshall’s 2019 Football Schedule

Gonna be tough to compete with Huntington High and Spring Valley.....Lol....I kid.....

Reactions: herd66
The two away Friday night games are fine. I could care less about HS football, but I know there are people that do, but it not like it is costing us at the live gate. If I have it figured right the LTU game on Nov. 15 would be the first week of the HS playoffs, so there really is no way to plan ahead. The way it is supposed to work is the away team gets to pick Fri. night, Sat. afternoon or Sat. night, so if you are a HS coach and you have to play at any school in this area, pick Sat. or you are an a**hole.

The 6:30 start for FAU seems odd. What TV network starts games at 6:30 on a Friday? The 5:00 start for Cincinnati is also odd in terms of that is not a popular TV start time. Thought that one would end up on TV.

BTW, the CUSA TV deal for next year is:

CBSSN - Nine games on real TV, plus the championship, CBS produces 3 more for Facebook.
Stadium - Eight games on real TV, Stadium produces 7 more for Facebook.
ESPN - All remaining games produced at school expense and shown on either ESPN3 internet (which is free) or ESPN+ internet (which is not).
The contract with BeIn Sports has expired. Doubt they will be back.

BTW, the CUSA TV deal for next year is:

CBSSN - Nine games on real TV, plus the championship, CBS produces 3 more for Facebook.
Stadium - Eight games on real TV, Stadium produces 7 more for Facebook.
ESPN - All remaining games produced at school expense and shown on either ESPN3 internet (which is free) or ESPN+ internet (which is not).
The contract with BeIn Sports has expired. Doubt they will be back.

So every year the TV deal gets worse? That's good to know... Pretty soon we are going to be watching via tape delay on the Knitting Channel at 4 a.m.

Reactions: Elkview
Judy will try to clever and sneak us onto EWTN and try to fool us.

“Shhhhhhhh. Hey guys, they’ll never catch this!” - Judy MacLeod

Here are the other four "G5" TV deals:

MAC:

100% ESPN deal. Minimum 11 games on real TV. ESPN can "sublicense" (sell) up to 8 more games to CBSSN (real TV). Remaining games produced at school expense for ESPN3/ESPN+. ESPN has 100% power to dictate games on weeknights.

MWC:

CBSSN: Up to 24 games, no requirement they pick more than 8.
ESPN: Up to 24 games with 3 Boise State games on real TV, remainder can be on real TV or ESPN3/ESPN+ (produced as school expense if on internet). Boise State gets extra money over and above the rest of the members.
AT&T Rocky Mountain (regional sports channel available only, umm, in the Rocky Mountain states): 10 games.
Stadium: Produces the remaining games for Facebook.

(Last year of this contract)

SBC:

ESPN: 2 games on ESPN or ESPN2; 5 weeknight games on ESPNU; up to five games can be produced by ESPN and syndicated to local stations. Some, not all, some, games will be produced at school expense for ESPN3/ESPN+, at ESPN's choice. Remaining games not shown.

(Last year of the contract.)

AAC:

ESPN: 28 games total; 3 on ABC; 3 on ESPN mothership, 2 or U; remainder on ESPNEWS or ESPN3 (internet). ESPN can sublicense (sell) 15 of the above to CBSSN. Remainder produced, as school expense, for ESPN3/ESPN+. Starting in 20, ESPN gets Navy's "home" (they never actually play at home) game every other year with Notre Dame as a part of the above.

BTW, the Big 12 just sold the "third tier" (one football game, three basketball games, all of the "olympic" sports) rights for the Little 8 to, umm, ESPN+. Texas (Longhorn Network) and Oklahoma (Fox Sports Net) will continue to own their own and receive far more $$ than the Little 8.

Sorry, but tell me how our TV deal is all that different from the other G5, and if you want to gripe about it, tell me, EXACTLY, how you would do better than the commissioner has done. Last year EVERY MU football and basketball game was on some from of media, and 19-20 looks to be exactly the same.

If you have the sports package on DirecTV, you get all of the AT&T Regional Sports channels. So those game are technically available to anyone outside of the Rocky Mountain states too.

With most games available on ESPN3 and ESPN+ now, it's hard to argue that a game isn't getting exposure. Especially since more and more people are watching games via streaming.

Be nice if we had an alternative like the Mountain West's AT&T Rocky Mountain set up. Fact that CUSA is such a disjointed, far flung league precludes that, I guess.

I still say if we had someone with the media savvy background, like the late D-Shoe, still around, the Herd should try and approach the Pittsburgh AT&T
outlet, formerly Root Sports, to try and get some Herd games on that site. They are on cable systems throughout West Virginia, as well as in PA, and probably NE Ohio. They carry a lot of Mountain East D-II sports, for goodness sakes and Huntington is what, 4 and half hours or so from P-Burg. They would certainly be a better alternative than the hit or miss arrangement with Sinclair and the spotty WCHS, WVAH, 8-2, 11-2 digital sites where the Herd has been shown in the past, IMO!

Sorry, but tell me how our TV deal is all that different from the other G5,

How can you have typed all of that info and then asked such a foolish question? The MAC, AAC, and MWC all have substantially better television coverage than C-USA.

ABC > ESPN > ESPN2> ESPNU > ESPNews / CBSSN > Stadium

Assuming all of your info is accurate, which is almost assuredly an incorrect assumption . . .

The AAC has three games on ABC which is far, far better than any televised C-USA coverage. Then, the AAC has three more on ESPN/2/U which are all better than CBSSN. They also get a Notre Dame game every other year against one of their own schools on ESPN. Already, the AAC has nearly as many games on "real" (your word) television on far superior outlets than C-USA does . . . and then they also have another 15 on CBSSN which is the best outlet C-USA has.

How can you compare those two and think they are even close to being comparable?

The MWC has one less game on CBSSN than C-USA, but then they get a minimum of three games on real ESPN stations. Already, that puts them ahead of C-USA, and that doesn't include the other 21 games that ESPN has the rights to (on their television platforms).

The MAC has 11 games on real ESPN stations which already makes it better than what C-USA has with their far inferior top option (CBSSN). They also have up to eight on CBSSN which basically matches what C-USA has. So their second tier is about as strong as C-USA's first tier.

It's not even close.

If you have every channel and steaming service on the planet, you may be able to watch the Herd 3/4 times each year.

Of course that’s incorrect but this stuff makes me laugh every time the broadcast schedules are announced.
Simply atrocious.

Reactions: beefcake0520
I could care less about HS football,

Couldn't. The meaning you are trying to imply would make correct use by using "couldn't."

so if you are a HS coach and you have to play at any school in this area, pick Sat. or you are an a**hole.

No. That coach's job is to give his team the best opportunity to win. If that means playing on a Friday instead of a Saturday, he isn't an asshole for doing that.

If his team had a bye week right before the playoffs and the opponent had a Saturday game the week before the playoffs, it would do his team a huge disservice to play on Saturday.

Not everybody's world revolves around Marshall football. If you can't handle that, perhaps you need to to cheer for Alabama or some other school.

I would always prefer tv over streaming ,but streaming is better than nothing.Even though I live in Nj Marshall football is a big part of my life.I would hope it is also by a lot of people on this board.

Reactions: Badger369
...the only difficult ones to see were the 2 on BeIN. They are no longer a CUSA partner.

I'm glad to see BeIn gone. On DirecTV it was only in the very highest package or the "foreign sports" package, which was $10 more a month. There literally is nothing else on the channel besides minor Euro soccer and other Euro sports. Eventually DirecTV just dropped it because there just was no content there even the soccer people wanted, as there are at least 5 other foreign sports channels. Not many people, and in fact, not many sports bars, are going to pay $10/month extra for a handful of CUSA games and nothing else anybody wants.

Reactions: Herdmeister
I'm glad to see BeIn gone. On DirecTV it was only in the very highest package or the "foreign sports" package, which was $10 more a month. There literally is nothing else on the channel besides minor Euro soccer and other Euro sports. Eventually DirecTV just dropped it because there just was no content there even the soccer people wanted, as there are at least 5 other foreign sports channels. Not many people, and in fact, not many sports bars, are going to pay $10/month extra for a handful of CUSA games and nothing else anybody wants.
Actually, BeIn Sports carries the 2nd best soccer league on the planet, La Liga (Spain), and also has the TV rights to the Copa Libertadores. The Copa Libertadores is the top soccer competition in South America, and only plays second fiddle to the European Champions League in terms of importance in club soccer world wide. Where I live the channel is a part of the standard sports package with Cox Cable. If you like soccer, the channel certainly provides some great games, but if you don't, then you might as well not have it.

I don't know if I would be happy to see BeIN gone as a carrier of CUSA games. What TV channel did we replace them with after the deal expired? No we didn't, so the TV coverage is actually less than prior years.

Reactions: ATOesMU and herd66
Two decades from now every game will be streamed, for a set price, in HD, easy to access for fans of that particular team. Streaming is the future, without question.

But for now TV still rules and as was pointed out above by YAGS the CUSA tv deal is garbage. Fortunately, most of us on here are tech savvy enough to find a game online and run a HDMI line from a laptop to a flatscreen TV, but that's not the case for older fans or those without the means for such in-home production.

Running a HDMI from a laptop is old tech in the era of smart TVs and add on (Amazon Firestick, for example) to make older TV smart. And, it is probably more like 10 years away, not 20 until 75+% of game are streamed)

Anyway, what appears to be the CBSSN schedule:

Friday, 9/6 - Wake Forest @ Rice
Saturday 9/7 - UCF @FAU
Saturday 9/14 - Texas vs. Rice (played at Texans stadium, Rice home game)
Friday 9/20 - FIU @ Louisiana Tech
Friday 10/18 - Marshall @FIU
Friday 11/15 - Louisiana Tech @Marshall
Saturday 11/23 - Miami (the real one) - FIU (played at Marlins stadium, FIU home game)
Saturday 11/30 - FIU @ Marshall
Saturday 12/7 - CUSA Championship
(one more game to be picked, this is unofficial speculation based on moving games to Fridays and start time changes)

CBS Facebook appears to get Cincinnati @ Marshall and Marshall @ MTSU, along with one more game. Again unofficial speculation.

Running a HDMI from a laptop is old tech in the era of smart TVs and add on (Amazon Firestick, for example) to make older TV smart. And, it is probably more like 10 years away, not 20 until 75+% of game are streamed)

Anyway, what appears to be the CBSSN schedule:

Friday, 9/6 - Wake Forest @ Rice
Saturday 9/7 - UCF @FAU
Saturday 9/14 - Texas vs. Rice (played at Texans stadium, Rice home game)
Friday 9/20 - FIU @ Louisiana Tech
Friday 10/18 - Marshall @FIU
Friday 11/15 - Louisiana Tech @Marshall
Saturday 11/23 - Miami (the real one) - FIU (played at Marlins stadium, FIU home game)
Saturday 11/30 - FIU @ Marshall
Saturday 12/7 - CUSA Championship
(one more game to be picked, this is unofficial speculation based on moving games to Fridays and start time changes)

CBS Facebook appears to get Cincinnati @ Marshall and Marshall @ MTSU, along with one more game. Again unofficial speculation.

Assuming both teams don't crap the bed in the early going, cincy @ Marshall on Facebook would be a travesty.

Bottom line is.....MAC has a better deal than we do by far, and we are in no better shape than the SB with TV. No major ESPN representation has destroyed CUSA.

I hope things can be better in the future but I'm just not sure about that with this group. Marshall USM names were not big enough to carry all 14 schools.

Will there be a way to watch the Green & White game this Saturday?
I wish it were a GAME. as we know, Doc will not have a game but a scrimmage just like any other practice. As far as I know I have not heard of any video. If there is I would assume it will be on Herdzone.com

UC, FAU, La Tech on CBS.

Boise ESPN2.

Everything else kind of up in the air between ESPN+ and Stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT