C-USA Announces 2015 Preseason Media Football Poll

Mike Gwinn

I'd rather be fishing.
Feb 26, 2002
Beckley, WV
C-USA Announces 2015 Preseason Media Football Poll
League Media Members Select WKU and Louisiana Tech to Win Divisional Titles

July 15, 2015

IRVING, Texas -- WKU has been picked to win the 2015 East Division title, while Louisiana Tech was selected to repeat as West Division champions. The poll was conducted by a panel of media members that cover Conference USA schools.

WKU closed out last season with five consecutive victories, including a win in the Popeyes Bahamas Bowl. In 2014, the Hilltoppers became the first FBS team to have a 4,500 yard passer and 1,500 yard rusher as senior QB Brandon Doughty threw for 4,830 and senior RB Leon Allen rushed for 1,542. Both players are back and Doughty, the 2014 C-USA MVP and Sammy Baugh Award winner, will also have four of his top six targets back in the fold. Nine starters, led by senior LB Nick Holt (111 tackles) are back to lead an experienced WKU defense.

Louisiana Tech reached the C-USA title game in its second year under head coach Skip Holtz and brings back six starters on offense and defense as it seeks a return trip. Senior RB Kenneth Dixon, the nation's leading active rusher (3,410 yards) who scored 28 total touchdowns last year (22 rushing), leads an offense that welcomes a new signal-caller in Florida senior transfer Jeff Driskel as well as three returning starters at wide receiver. The defense boasts a talented secondary that has seen junior S Xavier Woods and senior CB Adarius Barnes each named to preseason award watch lists, while S Kentrell Brice led the team in tackles with 86.

Defending C-USA Champion Marshall, led by senior RB Devon Johnson (sixth in FBS with 1,767 yards and 17 rushing TDs) was picked second in the East, followed by Middle Tennessee and senior S Kevin Byard, the nation's active leader in interceptions with 15. Rounding out the media picks in the East are Florida Atlantic, FIU, Old Dominion and newcomer Charlotte.

Rice, coming off three consecutive bowl games and led by senior QB Driphus Jackson (24 TDs in 2014), was selected second, followed by senior RB Aaron Jones (1,321 rushing yards and 14 TDs) and his UTEP Miners. Closing out the media picks in the West Division are Southern Miss, North Texas and UTSA, respectively.

The 11th annual Conference USA Football Championship Game, pitting the champions of the East and West Divisions, will be held Saturday, Dec. 5. The 2015 C-USA Football season kicks off Thursday, Sept. 3.

C-USA MEDIA MEMBERS PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH

EAST DIVISION
1. WKU
2. Marshall
3. Middle Tennessee
4. Florida Atlantic
5. FIU
6. Old Dominion
7. Charlotte

WEST DIVISION
1. Louisiana Tech
2. Rice
3. UTEP
4. Southern Miss
5. North Texas
6. UTSA

http://www.conferenceusa.com/collegesportslive/?media=499220

No love...
Marshall was about the lone bright spot for the conference this year and yet, with so many good players coming back, they still picked us to finish 2nd?

This means nothing. Proof is in the final results earned on the field. Gonna be a long year...waiting for the revenge game @ WKU. Hope we take care of business one week at a time starting with Purdue a big challenge.

This means nothing. Proof is in the final results earned on the field. Gonna be a long year...waiting for the revenge game @ WKU. Hope we take care of business one week at a time starting with Purdue a big challenge.

Exactly! The games are not played on paper. We got this.

No love...
Marshall was about the lone bright spot for the conference this year and yet, with so many good players coming back, they still picked us to finish 2nd?
They had to make that pick. WKU has a large number of returning players as well and they beat us last year. I have no problem with the pick. We just have to prove them wrong.

It reminds me of 2000. With the loss of Pennington, Starkey, Mercer, Grace, O'Neal, Chapman, Williams, everyone in the MAC thought well, that's the end of the Herd. But they didn't know about Leftwich (he played one down in '98), and while Birdsong may or may not be that good or as good as Cato, he has 20 games under his belt before starting a single game here, under a very good head coach in Mickey Matthews. For every one else gone, there is quality replacing them Shuler-Foster; Frohnapfel-Yurachek; Jasperse-Selby; Rouse-Samuel; and so forth. I think we are like a giant waiting on our turn to talk, and that talking will be done on the field. I absolutely have talked to players all summer at Pullman on Thursdays, and to a man they have the kind of quiet confidence I saw in 1988; 1992; 1996; 1999; 2002; 2013; 2014.

I must be in the minority but I am a little bit surprised by this.

WKU has a good number of returning starters from a decent team that went 4-4 in a very weak C-USA last season. Their signature win was a 1 point OT nail-biter at Marshall, our only loss. For perspective, MT was 5-3 and ODU was also 4-4 in conference.

Last season, Marshall was rightly the favorite coming off a 7-1 conference record, east division championship and a C-USA Championship game appearance in 2013.

Marshall improved on that record in 2014 by going 7-1 in conference and winning the east division championship and a C-USA championship. And we're not the favorite in 2015?

I know we are replacing a record-setting QB and WR tandem but you would think a 15-3 C-USA record, two East Division Championships and a Conference Championship over the last two seasons might be worth a little benefit of the doubt?

It reminds me of 2000. With the loss of Pennington, Starkey, Mercer, Grace, O'Neal, Chapman, Williams, everyone in the MAC thought well, that's the end of the Herd. But they didn't know about Leftwich (he played one down in '98), and while Birdsong may or may not be that good or as good as Cato, he has 20 games under his belt before starting a single game here, under a very good head coach in Mickey Matthews. For every one else gone, there is quality replacing them Shuler-Foster; Frohnapfel-Yurachek; Jasperse-Selby; Rouse-Samuel; and so forth. I think we are like a giant waiting on our turn to talk, and that talking will be done on the field. I absolutely have talked to players all summer at Pullman on Thursdays, and to a man they have the kind of quiet confidence I saw in 1988; 1992; 1996; 1999; 2002; 2013; 2014.
That is what Woody said and I'm stickin' to it.

WKU has a good number of returning starters from a decent team that went 4-4 in a very weak C-USA last season. Their signature win was a 1 point OT nail-biter at Marshall, our only loss. For perspective, MT was 5-3 and ODU was also 4-4 in conference.

Last season, Marshall was rightly the favorite coming off a 7-1 conference record, east division championship and a C-USA Championship game appearance in 2013.

Marshall improved on that record in 2014 by going 7-1 in conference and winning the east division championship and a C-USA championship. And we're not the favorite in 2015?

I know we are replacing a record-setting QB and WR tandem but you would think a 15-3 C-USA record, two East Division Championships and a Conference Championship over the last two seasons might be worth a little benefit of the doubt?

I think Birdsong is going to have much, if not all, of his kinks straightened up before the WKU game. If this were like the 2nd game of the season, that'd be something, but it is the last game...against a school who has no fan support, with a defense who can't stop the run...who ended up scoring 10 pts after Heater got to adjust the defense in the 2nd half.
I think Marshall could steamroll this schedule...Purdue is the toughest game on the slate, it's Big Ten and the 1st game of the season.

Reactions: angelo54
I think Birdsong is going to have much, if not all, of his kinks straightened up before the WKU game. If this were like the 2nd game of the season, that'd be something, but it is the last game...against a school who has no fan support, with a defense who can't stop the run...who ended up scoring 10 pts after Heater got to adjust the defense in the 2nd half.
I think Marshall could steamroll this schedule...Purdue is the toughest game on the slate, it's Big Ten and the 1st game of the season.

We'd have to actually be interested I'm having a running play in the gameplan this year for their weak run D to matter.

Reactions: blevins

Why does it surprise you? Really?

We're replacing ~19 seniors, a record breaking QB and WR, all conference center, NFL defensive back, #2 running back, all conference DL, conference CUSA defensive player of the year, etc.

WKU returns 16 starters, including preseason conference offensive POY, second team all CUSA RB, their #2 RB (those two combined for over 2,000 yards last year), all but one of their top 5 receivers, etc.

And yeah, they went 4-4 in conference, but they:

- lost by a field goal in 3 OT at MTSU
- lost by a field goal vs UAB
- lost by a touchdown, scored with 1:23 left in the game (Doughty fumbled at the WKU 27, setting up the GW touchdown) at FAU

They were knocking on the door of 7-1 in conference, hell had those 3 games gone the other way, their trip to Huntington would've been for the east division. They were close last year, very, very close, and they return the vast majority of their starters from last year, including their stars, meanwhile, we lose most of our stars and go to WKU this year. Don't get me wrong, I think we beat them, but everybody and their brother that is non-biased, on paper, would likely pick WKU over us in the East this year.

WKU Schedule and my Predictions / They got a tough schedule gonna lose 4 for sure!

Sep. 3 at Vanderbilt 7:00pm ..............Loss 1
Sep. 10 Louisiana Tech 7:00pm........Toss Up
Sep. 19 at Indiana 3:00pm...............Loss 2
Sep. 26 Miami-OH 2:30pm...............Win
Oct. 3 at Rice 1:30pm.......................Loss
Oct. 10 Middle Tenn. TBA...............Toss Up
Oct. 15 at North Texas 6:30pm........Win
Oct. 24 at LSU TBA...........................Loss 3
Oct. 31 at Old Dominion TBA...........Win
Nov. 7 Florida Atlantic TBA..............Win could lose this one
Nov. 21 at Florida Int'l TBA ..............Win
Nov. 27 Marshall 11:00am.................Loss 4

We're replacing ~19 seniors, a record breaking QB and WR, all conference center, NFL defensive back, #2 running back, all conference DL, conference CUSA defensive player of the year, etc.

WKU returns 16 starters, including preseason conference offensive POY, second team all CUSA RB, their #2 RB (those two combined for over 2,000 yards last year), all but one of their top 5 receivers, etc.

- lost by a touchdown, scored with 1:23 left in the game (Doughty fumbled at the WKU 27, setting up the GW touchdown) at FAU

They were knocking on the door of 7-1 in conference, hell had those 3 games gone the other way, their trip to Huntington would've been for the east division. They were close last year, very, very close, and they return the vast majority of their starters from last year, including their stars, meanwhile, we lose most of our stars and go to WKU this year. Don't get me wrong, I think we beat them, but everybody and their brother that is non-biased, on paper, would likely pick WKU over us in the East this year.

We aren't replacing 19 starters, we are replacing 4 starters on offense but have replacements that are very good who can carry the torch. And one defense we are replacing 6 starters but replacing them with some solid replacements and also adding transfers and Chris Williams-Hall who I think could be the Defensive freshman of the year. Plus there is still a ton of leaders in that locker room and a coaching staff who pretty much stayed intact so the continuity remains. All the media sees is "Oh they lost Cato, Shular, Jasperse, Froh, Hewitt, Holmes, Rouse, Blackmon, and Roberts no way they can repeat." Well they will be shocked this year. I honestly think we will be a much more dangerous team this year on Offense and Defense. Now that is scary

We aren't replacing 19 starters, we are replacing 4 starters on offense but have replacements that are very good who can carry the torch. And one defense we are replacing 6 starters but replacing them with some solid replacements and also adding transfers and Chris Williams-Hall who I think could be the Defensive freshman of the year. Plus there is still a ton of leaders in that locker room and a coaching staff who pretty much stayed intact so the continuity remains. All the media sees is "Oh they lost Cato, Shular, Jasperse, Froh, Hewitt, Holmes, Rouse, Blackmon, and Roberts no way they can repeat." Well they will be shocked this year. I honestly think we will be a much more dangerous team this year on Offense and Defense. Now that is scary

read my post again, i didn't say we lost 19 starters, i said we lost 19 starters, of which many were starters and stars for us.

on paper, non-biased people would say wku is the favorite on paper. we're loaded with talent, but we still have plenty of question marks, including qb, and whenever a team has a question mark at qb that'll lead to people questioning the team as a whole. with our losses, it's normal for people expect us to take a step back, even if a slight step, and with what they have returning and how close they were last year and how they finished the year, it's normal for people expect them to take a step forward.

A question at QB would be a school who doesn't have a starter named already like Purdue. Or they are starting a True Freshman or a JUCO transfer fresh out of the gate. Birdsong isn't a question mark for me. And I listed our senior starters that was stars and moved on and honestly outside of a proven back up at RB, defensive line and boundary corner, I have no questions or see any. Doc and the staff has done a great job of not only recruiting coachable talent. But they have not only developed them physically, mental, and playing ability but also have bred a culture of leaders, winning, and accountability. Trust me on this we will be better then last year.

Plus we get a whole 2 weeks to break down WKU and their offense

A question at QB would be a school who doesn't have a starter named already like Purdue. Or they are starting a True Freshman or a JUCO transfer fresh out of the gate. Birdsong isn't a question mark for me. And I listed our senior starters that was stars and moved on and honestly outside of a proven back up at RB, defensive line and boundary corner, I have no questions or see any. Doc and the staff has done a great job of not only recruiting coachable talent. But they have not only developed them physically, mental, and playing ability but also have bred a culture of leaders, winning, and accountability. Trust me on this we will be better then last year.

Plus we get a whole 2 weeks to break down WKU and their offense

cool story bro, in your biased opinion we don't have any holes/questions. but if you would read what i wrote, i'm talking about people that aren't biased towards marshall, non-marshall fans, you know the guys making these preseason predictions.

they're going to look at us and see we have a fcs transfer at qb that was decent, but far from great at his old school and has sat out the last year. they'll see a REALLY good rb in DJ, but see he had injury concerns last year and while there's a lot of potential behind him, there's no real superstar (remi is solid, not great, and probably wont even be #2 honestly). they're going to see we have a new center, so someone starting for the first time calling out protections. they're going to see we have a ton of athleticism on defense, and speed, but we lost our 3 best defenders last year, and while the guys stepping in have tons of potential, they've yet to realize that potential. they'll see we lost 8 first or second team all-cusa performers, return 2 (not counting special teams) while wku returns 4 and lost just 1. then they'll look at our schedule and realize we play both of the other east contending teams on the road this year, as well a potentially tricky trip to fau where we struggled two years ago.

Im going off what we return. That is not being biased, that is facts

you're right, expectations of guys that have played zero, or minimal, number of fbs snaps, are 100% facts and not your opinion at all.

WVU just had a DE get drafted who played at Gardner Webb the year ago. FBS or FCS doesn't matter. Experience especially starting experience matter and he started 20 games under Mickey Matthews at James Madison and won games and played exceptionally well when they played FBS schools

WVU just had a DE get drafted who played at Gardner Webb the year ago. FBS or FCS doesn't matter. Experience especially starting experience matter and he started 20 games under Mickey Matthews at James Madison and won games and played exceptionally well when they played FBS schools

you named 1 FCS DE, out of literally hundreds, that was good enough to get drafted.

he was 8-6 as the starter at jmu, with 26 touchdowns, 16 interceptions, and threw for 225 or so yards per game. you're right, he played exceptionally well against FBS schools, well actually, just one. against WVU, off the bench, he went 4-10 for 41 yards in 2012. he had a solid game against a bad akron team in 2013, but then again he struggled down the stretch, and took them out of contention for a playoff spot.

i'm a birdsong fan, i think he's going to be decent, but quit acting like he was some stud at the FCS level, he was a slightly above average FCS quarterback. in 2013, he was 51st in FCS in efficiency, 35th in points responsible for, 32nd in total offense. solid, but far from a world beater.

Can't really argue that. Good post.

I watched a couple games of his on youtube from the 2013 season. He didn't have the talent that is close to what he is working with here. But you watch him in Game mood and he just looks and plays like a starting QB. He has a huge arm and makes the right decision to tuck it and run. That is why I am optimistic with him and I feel we wont miss a beat

I watched a couple games of his on youtube from the 2013 season. He didn't have the talent that is close to what he is working with here. But you watch him in Game mood and he just looks and plays like a starting QB. He has a huge arm and makes the right decision to tuck it and run. That is why I am optimistic with him and I feel we wont miss a beat

i'm optimistic about him too, but until he proves himself at this level, he's going to still be several steps down from doughty in the eyes of the vast majority of people.

i think we're going to go to bowling green and kick the shit out of these guys in november, but on paper, an unbiased person would look at the two teams and give them the edge right now, 60 days before kickoff, that's all i'm saying, and it shouldn't come as too big of a shock to anyone.

1 player doesn't make or break a team. Even with a top 5 offense they lost 5 games because they couldn't stop anyone. Even the Bahamas Bowl proved they aren't that good up 42-14 and almost lost the game is pathetic

1 player doesn't make or break a team. Even with a top 5 offense they lost 5 games because they couldn't stop anyone. Even the Bahamas Bowl proved they aren't that good up 42-14 and almost lost the game is pathetic

so, they're like us in 2012. what did we turn around and do in 2013? oh, went 10-4 and won the east.

and honestly, one player can make or break a team, especially if that player is a quarterback.

No between 2012 and 2013 we changed our defense staff push out other coaches who wasn't fully invested and had 10 new players join the rotation on defense. WKU didn't do all of that

No between 2012 and 2013 we changed our defense staff push out other coaches who wasn't fully invested and had 10 new players join the rotation on defense. WKU didn't do all of that

what the **** are you talking about? you really should just stop. there was 1 change from our 2012 defensive staff to our 2013 defensive staff, cronin left and hartley moved to safeties to replace him.

False. Hartley moved from Safety to TE once Ratliff left for UNCC. We added Heater and brought back coach Price. Cronin was already coaching the DL. So what the **** are you talking about

False. Hartley moved from Safety to TE once Ratliff left for UNCC. We added Heater and brought back coach Price. Cronin was already coaching the DL. So what the **** are you talking about

just going by herdzone: http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/mars-m-footbl-mtt-2012.html

either way, wku is much like us, in 2012, maybe they didn't bring in a new dc, but they return a lot of their defensive starters (7 or 8), added jontavious morris, their defense will make strides this year, much like ours did in 2013.

starters from a terrible defense, we didn't even have that much returning in 2013 on defense.

starters from a terrible defense, we didn't even have that much returning in 2013 on defense.

Just to change the discussion a bit, back to the original post. Is anyone else as surprised as I am to see that UTSA is picked for the cellar in the West Division? I mean just a year or so ago former Miami coach Larry Coker had this team on an upswing. Didn't they go to Houston and embarrass the Cougs when they were reopening the remodeled stadium at UH? Certainly did shut up that Cougar Clown who always likes to come to Herd boards and run his mouth. Also, didn't UTSA take Rich Rod's Arizona Wildcats down to the wire a season or so ago in the Alamodome? A huge metro area, San Antonio, and a pro home stadium, plus a seasoned coach like Coker one thought that this would be a team soon to be a force among the CUSA elites in football. Wonder why the precipitous drop for the Roadrunners???

Doughty only looked good against us because we gave him the ball 4 times...

Other than that...what happened to him when Heater made adjustments in the 2nd half? 10 points scored...that's it.
Their defense gave up a TON of yardage.

It doesn't matter if they have returning starters on defense or not...as long as their DC is that clueless on running a defense, then they'll never improve.

That's the difference between them and us...Heater was a proven DC and a smart one at that...he adjusted everything to everyone's strengths...their DC just does the same thing and hopes people get better.

One thing to consider about the WKU matchup is the schedules of the two teams. Which team will be most battle tested during the season? Western plays a great schedule against some tough teams, while the Herds's schedule is lacking again and they will be favored by a bunch against everyone they play, even Purdue I think. I see Marshall destroying their schedule again, while WKU will have some losses but will be used to playing against a lot better competition. May give them an edge going into the matchup.

One thing to consider about the WKU matchup is the schedules of the two teams. Which team will be most battle tested during the season? Western plays a great schedule against some tough teams, while the Herds's schedule is lacking again and they will be favored by a bunch against everyone they play, even Purdue I think. I see Marshall destroying their schedule again, while WKU will have some losses but will be used to playing against a lot better competition. May give them an edge going into the matchup.

I disagree...
I think Marshall has, once more, the target on its back. That means everyone will be giving us their all...each week...all season. Not saying people won't take WKU seriously, but Marshall is THE team to beat in the conference...regardless of the rankings and polls.

I agree they'll get everyone's best and that Marshall is the team to beat. I was just contemplating why they picked the Herd behind the Toppers.

Doughty only looked good against us because we gave him the ball 4 times...

Other than that...what happened to him when Heater made adjustments in the 2nd half? 10 points scored...that's it.
Their defense gave up a TON of yardage.

It doesn't matter if they have returning starters on defense or not...as long as their DC is that clueless on running a defense, then they'll never improve.

That's the difference between them and us...Heater was a proven DC and a smart one at that...he adjusted everything to everyone's strengths...their DC just does the same thing and hopes people get better.

Your second statement tells the tale for the most part. Heater didn't do anything until the second half. Teams knew that to beat WKU you had to put pressure on Doughty the whole game. Heater chose to try to get coverage sacks and that killed us. That and Legg/Cato electing to throw the ball way too much early on.

Our D was given 3 short fields to defend and a total of 4 pics.

The defense was bad early (give wku credit for hitting big plays) but was solid in second half.

Heck if Cato doesn't throw that late pic in red zone and we just get FG we win.

I agree, and not to mention the fact that we have the highest percentage of returning lettermen in the conference not counting Charlotte, since they are a new program. I just find it very strange that the media always seems to try and find a way to put us down, disregard, or diminish the programs accomplishments.

We take props and its just no way one of the smallest D1A schools can be dominate on the field. Everyone just lays down while we run past them with Platoons of Props after props

Reactions: pdbailey
ADVERTISEMENT