ADVERTISEMENT

Cato by far

IslandHerd1

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2012
Lowcountry
Has far more talent than Crompton (Starter) or Lefevour (CMU and career backup in the CFL so far) and I don't think I need to compare him to the other rookie Bridge (South Alabama) as that kid is nowhere near Cato.

If Cato doesn't become the starter or is cut, then the CFL literally has a bunch of Mark Snyders in charge.

Has far more talent than Crompton (Starter) or Lefevour (CMU and career backup in the CFL so far) and I don't think I need to compare him to the other rookie Bridge (South Alabama) as that kid is nowhere near Cato.

If Cato doesn't become the starter or is cut, then the CFL literally has a bunch of Mark Snyders in charge.
Their writers are definitely so. Cato hasn't been mentioned since last weeks game and not by some then. Fans are pretty supportive placing him third.

Their writers are definitely so. Cato hasn't been mentioned since last weeks game and not by some then. Fans are pretty supportive placing him third.

One of the Als fans told me that Bridge wasn't getting special treatment because he is Canadian, and immediately the announcer said that the league and the Als specifically are committed to bringing in Canadians at QB.

If you are watching, Bridge just had two time clock penalties in the same drive and too many men in the huddle in between those. Last game he had two time clock penalties also.

watching on espn3.com ...only 4 minutes to go in the 4th quarter & he is yet to play! :( ...3rd team QB Bridge in there now; the Alouettes are hurtin' at QB & have their answer in Rakeem Cato but unfortunately he likely gets cut or offered the Practice Squad tomorrow. If I'm him; I'd become a free agent & take my chances to be picked-up elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: IslandHerd1
watching on espn3.com ...10 minutes to go in the 4th quarter & he is yet to play...3rd team QB Bridge in there now; the Alouettes are hurtin' at QB & have their answer in Rakeem Cato but unfortunately he likely gets cut or offered the Practice Squad tomorrow. If I'm him; I'd become a free agent & take my chances to be picked-up elsewhere.

I agree with that if he gets told practice squad. However, some of the die hard fans believe Cato is the guy too. Coach is said to be not so good at evaluating QB's by Alouette fans

Reactions: gcherd
Rakeem Cato finally in with a whopping 3 minutes to go...first pass overthrew a screen pass...punt... followed it up with 2 nice passes; one completed...finished 1 for 3 for about 10-12 yards...his completion was better than anything I saw from Bridge; but they'll likely keep their fourth round draft pick with poor accuracy instead of the much better & accomplished QB Cato.

Last edited:
On your radio link, at the end the Alouette head coach was talking about how "a lot of good football players are going to be unemployed tomorrow". If Rakeem is among those I just hope a GM on some team (CFL or NFL) gives this kid another chance; the way it played out with the 3 QB's ahead of him in Montreal it's obvious Cato had no real shot to make that team...I just refuse to believe a QB with his talent will not land on his feet with some professional organization.

Reactions: ohio herd
On your radio link, at the end the Alouette head coach was talking about how "a lot of good football players are going to be unemployed tomorrow". If Rakeem is among those I just hope a GM on some team (CFL or NFL) gives this kid another chance; the way it played out with the 3 QB's ahead of him in Montreal it's obvious Cato had no real shot to make that team...I just refuse to believe a QB with his talent will not land on his feet with some professional organization.

The coach stating that they had to stick with the CFL veterans....Why? And all the talk about Bridge, who Cato had more yards than in one season versus Bridge entire college career at Albany and So Alabama...........Man CFL is bullsh)t. International players really don't get much of a shot, but I gotta believe Cato will stick with the team or get another CFL roster spot elsewhere. Really wonder how many yards he may have gotten if not tackled by his helmet.

Reactions: gcherd
Maybe he tanked during practice this week...or, maybe Cato impressed the AL's enough in his previous game that they have decided to keep him and just needed to evaluate who was next in line after him. Keeping a Canadian QB on the roster is also a strong possibility as mentioned.

I don't understand why they would care about having a Canadian QB on the roster. Doesn't count.

I don't understand why they would care about having a Canadian QB on the roster. Doesn't count.
I don't disagree. Islandherd pointed it out and maybe it's not beyond the realm of possibilities if nothing else makes sense, especially if Cato is playing well.

No word quite yet!...

http://www.cfl.ca/page/transactions

Also, within the link you can click on News...Alouettes News which will likely have the story when cuts are made.

Note: I noticed if you click on Game Stats they don't even list Cato's 3 pass attempts! :(

Last edited:
It was reported in the local press that Cato had signed a two-year, six-figure deal with Montreal. I could not find confirmation of this from any source north of the US border, including (especially) the team itself, who never made public mention of his signing.

Strange to sign someone to a two-year deal when chances were you weren't going to keep them. I think his "agent" may have embellished a bit.

It was reported in the local press that Cato had signed a two-year, six-figure deal with Montreal. I could not find confirmation of this from any source north of the US border, including (especially) the team itself, who never made public mention of his signing.

Strange to sign someone to a two-year deal when chances were you weren't going to keep them. I think his "agent" may have embellished a bit.
I would guess just like here it is contingent on him making the team.

Reactions: IslandHerd1
From the Als Fan Forum:

Re: Match préparatoire #2 Toronto @ Montréal
Postby HfxTC » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:46 pm

I know what I saw from Cato last week. Pinpoint accuracy on all his throws. Quick release, good command of the huddle and great touch on the ball. Yesterday I saw a guy who could buy time, could sense when a defender was breaking through protection. Unfortunately he was playing with receivers who likely won't make the team and on two occasions where he rolled out no receivers came back towards him. I haven't seen one negative yet in the very limited but difficult situations he was asked to perform.

If CFL is like NFL, the money will only be paid IF he is on the team. No guarantee. Unlike MLB.

Cato has posted on Facebook that he moved to Montreal today. Naturally, followers are taking that to mean he has made the team. He has not verified. I hope their assumption is correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT