ADVERTISEMENT

Cato not at Montreal Camp

Didn't the team get their passports this year in the event of going to the Bahamas Bowl?

Its probably a visa issue. You can't work in another country with just a passport; you also need to get a work visa from the country you're going to be working in. And sometimes those can be a pain to get, especially if there is a long list of applicants, and typically require a visit to a embassy or consulate.

Reactions: Mike Gwinn
Its probably a visa issue. You can't work in another country with just a passport; you also need to get a work visa from the country you're going to be working in. And sometimes those can be a pain to get, especially if there is a long list of applicants, and typically require a visit to a embassy or consulate.

That could very well be it.. The beat writer just said passport but this would make more sense and could of been what he meant

Quebec has a strange visa process, for some things you actually have to have paperwork for both the province and Canada.

No matter what the situation is, it doesn't bode well for Rakeem. Missing training camp, even if only a day or two, sets him back.

Sounds like Doc or Chad, anyone, needs to step in and hook Cato up with an "agent" that knows what they're doing. The dude is gonna blow any chance Cato has of playing up there. jmo

Reactions: Bison87
This is from the Montreal Gazette Sports section and updated last night just after 8pm. Doesn't mention Rakeem at all.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/f...ng-camp-report-als-have-become-cromptons-team

Hope the Visa issue is the cause as stated above, but you'd think that would have at least been in the article. Picture of 3 other QBs doesn't bode well either. I wish something would break his way.

GO HERD!!!

I went on last week to see if there was any info on Cato from Montreal sources. Strangely, there wasn't anything out there, no team announcement of his signing, no mention of him anywhere on the team's website. I was able to find a thread on an Alouettes message board mentioning his signing, but even someone on there noted the only sources claiming he had a two-year deal were Cato's agent and his "hometown" (WV) newspapers.

I went on last week to see if there was any info on Cato from Montreal sources. Strangely, there wasn't anything out there, no team announcement of his signing, no mention of him anywhere on the team's website. I was able to find a thread on an Alouettes message board mentioning his signing, but even someone on there noted the only sources claiming he had a two-year deal were Cato's agent and his "hometown" (WV) newspapers.

Their beat writer is the one who told me on twitter it was a passport issue.. Seems he told Doug Smock the same thing. "This may or may not clear things up: Zurkowsky was told Sunday that Cato has passport issues and still might show up". - See more at: http://www.wvgazette.com/article/20150531/GZ02/150539878/1115#sthash.b6OUvgg6.dpuf

Reading these articles, and twitter feeds, just reinforces my belief that Cato is a headcase. He wants so badly to play pro football, do the things you're supposed to do so you can play pro football. Put on weight, eat a d@mn meal, do whatever you have to do to be able to show up for rookie and training camps, and don't sulk like a fat little kid that didn't get his cake and video game.

How long does acquiring a Visa take?

Isn't there some time frame allowed to get that completed? If the CFL recruited any other US players this problem can't be unique to Cato

Reactions: GeauxHerd
How long does acquiring a Visa take?

Isn't there some time frame allowed to get that completed? If the CFL recruited any other US players this problem can't be unique to Cato

it could be the other players and their agents were more prepared, already had the paperwork lined up to file, whereas cato/his agent are just now starting the shit ton of paperwork it takes...

This kind of thing happens every single year in Major League Baseball with Latin players.

A couple of years ago the Pirates had a reliever who did not make ST until late March because of VISA problems.

Whole thing just seems really weird to me, especially after he skipped out on his tryout that was planned a month or two ago.

Whole thing just seems really weird to me, especially after he skipped out on his tryout that was planned a month or two ago.

Yes, although we shouldn't read too much in to that article, it did suggest Cato had to be almost talked into heading to the CFL. That reluctance may also have something to do with not being prepared to play in time.

Reactions: GeauxHerd
IMO his biggest mistake post-Marshall was going with a guy who had never been an agent before. If there was an issue with his passport/visa, that's a perfect example of an agent not doing all of the homework and getting things done. If that's all true, it's a damn shame.

I trust Chuck.. He's showed us time and time again he is reliable.. However, something with this story isn't adding up.. If it was just a physical then does that mean he's been in Montreal the whole time just not at practice? Also why wouldn't the Als beat writer be aware of this and why would he think it was a passport issue? Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me

I am 99% sure it was a work visa issue.

He could be in Montreal on a tourist visa, but not be allowed to practice or be involved in team activities.

It's amazing the number of valued judgements made about Cato in this thread, based on no evidence.

He is there. He posted a pic on FB this morning wearing an Alouettes shirt and with his helmet/jersey. He is now on their roster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT