ADVERTISEMENT

Cato/Shuler Graduation

herdalicious

Platinum Buffalo
Apr 3, 2007
Xanadu
Does anyone know if Cato or Shuler graduated? When I read the ESPN.com piece on Cato a few weeks back, it seemed to indicate that both were already back in Florida, and had been for some time. Neither took a redshirt, so that would mean for either of them to have graduated, they had to have done it in 3 1/2 years - a feat impressive enough to warrant some mention in the press coverage locally and nationally that one or both received in the last 5-6 months.

Anyone hear anything?

At the Hardman Award ceremony in Wheeling, Cato's response was given in absentia, part of which was:

"As I move forward in my career, I know that I am prepared also for life after football by being a graduate of Marshall University. I consider this place my second home and will reflect fondly of my lasting memories that thanks to this community have created for me."

"Sincerely, Rakeem Cato. Go Herd."

Reactions: IslandHerd1
At the Hardman Award ceremony in Wheeling, Cato's response was given in absentia, part of which was:

"As I move forward in my career, I know that I am prepared also for life after football by being a graduate of Marshall University. I consider this place my second home and will reflect fondly of my lasting memories that thanks to this community have created for me."

"Sincerely, Rakeem Cato. Go Herd."
I read that too. Graduating in 3.5 years isn't nearly as tough when you consider that they took many, many summer classes in their time here.

Plus they are football players. It's not as hard on them as it is other students.

Remi Watson is majoring in marketing. Davonte Allen is working on his MBA. D.J. Hunter is getting dual degrees in Marketing and Management. Swede is working on his 2nd degree. Joe Woodrum is working on his MBA. Clint Van Horn is majoring in poli sci. I'm guessing that all of these, plus 50 more, would be offended by your comment.

Some football players are very bright and have no issues.

But let's not pretend like those of us who ever had classes with football players didn't see them get a tad extra help. I mean, on the day of tests, most I had class with were never there. They were somewhere else "taking the test with their tutor," is what I was always told.

Reactions: GeauxHerd

But let's not pretend like those of us who ever had classes with football players didn't see them get a tad extra help. I mean, on the day of tests, most I had class with were never there. They were somewhere else "taking the test with their tutor," is what I was always told.

When I was in school I never asked.. Because I wasn't worried about what other people were doing or if someone else might be getting a little extra help.. I just did my own work and went about my day.

When I was in school I never asked.. Because I wasn't worried about what other people were doing or if someone else might be getting a little extra help.. I just did my own work and went about my day.

Good for you. I wasn't the one asking either.

It was some girls who sat around me in Chemistry.

Reactions: GeauxHerd

Don't forget we get MANY quality players because of our HELP program. It could have been guys with learning disabilities.

I think its safe to say that some players are college students who make the most of their scholarships, and then there are those who probably couldn't make it through school without handlers and tutors guiding their way. Any generalization in either direction is inaccurate for the players on the other end of the spectrum.

It appears that, apart from a quote from an in-absentia speech, there is no record of Rakeem Cato or Tommy Shuler graduating from Marshall University. In full disclosure, this came to mind because of Stew Butler - scuttle I heard was that the coaches were taking a "wait and see" approach with him because they knew if he was booted from school, he'd wind up in jail or dead. It made me wonder how much we'd done to ensure that Cato and Shuler, two players with only a minimal chance of even making a small amount of money playing pro sports, were not dropped off back in Liberty City, no better for their time at Marshall.

I think its safe to say that some players are college students who make the most of their scholarships, and then there are those who probably couldn't make it through school without handlers and tutors guiding their way. Any generalization in either direction is inaccurate for the players on the other end of the spectrum.

It appears that, apart from a quote from an in-absentia speech, there is no record of Rakeem Cato or Tommy Shuler graduating from Marshall University. In full disclosure, this came to mind because of Stew Butler - scuttle I heard was that the coaches were taking a "wait and see" approach with him because they knew if he was booted from school, he'd wind up in jail or dead. It made me wonder how much we'd done to ensure that Cato and Shuler, two players with only a minimal chance of even making a small amount of money playing pro sports, were not dropped off back in Liberty City, no better for their time at Marshall.

The good thing for Cato and Shuler is that the option is always there to come back.. I remember my last year at Marshall having class with Ashton Hall while he was putting the finishing touches on his degree after he was cut by the Colts. So they have that option if they decide to take it.

I had a soccer player tell me a few years ago that college affords an opportunity for student-athletes to do three things: Focus on getting a degree, work toward being as good of an athlete as possible and have a social life. He said that, unfortunately, there is only time for 2 of those 3, and the ones that are successful recognize that and prioritize accordingly. Good insight, I thought.

The good thing for Cato and Shuler is that the option is always there to come back.. I remember my last year at Marshall having class with Ashton Hall while he was putting the finishing touches on his degree after he was cut by the Colts. So they have that option if they decide to take it.

Darius Marshall was allowed to come back and finish up his degree on scholarship as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT