ADVERTISEMENT

Checking out our competition...

Herdstruck

Silver Buffalo
Apr 6, 2014
Saw Boise's schedule...they could easily lose 3 games...hosting Washington and former coach Peterson is going to be a challenge.
Colorado State is an away game.
They're also away at BYU.

This Boise team wasn't that impressive in 2014...well, I'll say they weren't the Boise team we all have seen, they certainly didn't dominate as much as they used to.

Who would you say, is our competition for the possible Access Bowl this season?

I wish we could play your cupcake schedule

Basically guaranteed 10 wins

5Dimes has us as a double digit favorite vs UDub. UW's QB situation is awful, their best WR tore his acl, plus they lose a bunch of NFL talent off that defense. We got them at home. Shouldn't be a problem.

Colorado State has never beaten us, & that isn't changing this year.

We're on a 12 game win streak vs USU, & that's going to go to 13 this next year.

UVA is hemorrhaging players, and is a lousy p5 program. Win

BYU is the only game that would be considered a toss up. Even if we lose, we could still get the access bowl.

An unknown at QB, losses at some important positions on the front 7 for defense, and a sometimes shaky secondary.

Either our new 4* freshman QB will get the start, or our redshirt sophomore. Both are very good & should be solid players.

We lost one player on our D-Line & a LB that rarely played. WTF are you talking about?

We get our top two DT's back (both missed all of last year).

Our secondary has been shaky, however we got 2 4* DB transfers, plus a stacked DB recruiting class. We're going back to what our DC ran when he was originally at bsu, which was the 3-3-5. All that should help with the shakiness.

Either our new 4* freshman QB will get the start, or our redshirt sophomore. Both are very good & should be solid players.

We lost one player on our D-Line & a LB that rarely played. WTF are you talking about?

We get our top two DT's back (both missed all of last year).

Our secondary has been shaky, however we got 2 4* DB transfers, plus a stacked DB recruiting class. We're going back to what our DC ran when he was originally at bsu, which was the 3-3-5. All that should help with the shakiness.
I'm talking about Marshall, a$shat. Go back to the Boise boards.

I imagine the Boise fan is actually a wvu fan, because wvu is going to bleed support and the faiweathers will need someone else to cheer for.
If not, I apologize for associating you with such scum of the Earth.

Boise was slated to do well in their conference but lost 2 games...Air Force is unpredictable as always with any service academy...plus they are simply disciplined better than any program in America and are the only program who legitimately think they could take on the SEC each week.
Boise is not the same Boise that Peterson had...UW is not as good as they used to be, but they are a caliber higher in overall player level. Also, I think Peterson knows Boise so well he's going to have much of the kinks worked out.
Plus, Washington didn't really get blown out by anyone except Oregon. 11 points and UW is a 10 win team.
Oh, might I add, even with Peterson, you guys got steamrolled the last time you played them.

It's not going to be as easy as you think...nor for us either but still...

would hope Boise drops a couple. We need another year or two to regain the national respect we once had. Right now Boise is ahead of us in that department. That being said we are moving in the right direction.Would love to play a home and home with Boise would be a great matchup IMO.

I imagine the Boise fan is actually a wvu fan, because wvu is going to bleed support and the faiweathers will need someone else to cheer for.
If not, I apologize for associating you with such scum of the Earth.

Boise was slated to do well in their conference but lost 2 games...Air Force is unpredictable as always with any service academy...plus they are simply disciplined better than any program in America and are the only program who legitimately think they could take on the SEC each week.
Boise is not the same Boise that Peterson had...UW is not as good as they used to be, but they are a caliber higher in overall player level. Also, I think Peterson knows Boise so well he's going to have much of the kinks worked out.
Plus, Washington didn't really get blown out by anyone except Oregon. 11 points and UW is a 10 win team.
Oh, might I add, even with Peterson, you guys got steamrolled the last time you played them.

It's not going to be as easy as you think...nor for us either but still...

lol so every opposing fan who comes over here talking crap is automatically a WVU fan in disguise? Get a grip man, WVU and it's fans aren't a boogey man living under your bed. Boise has a very arrogant fan base and that is almost assuredly one of their fans.

If Cincinnati can beat Miami, I think they will be the biggest road block. In conference schedule isn't frightening, and the Hurricanes are the only big game they really have.

If Cincinnati can beat Miami, I think they will be the biggest road block. In conference schedule isn't frightening, and the Hurricanes are the only big game they really have.

Cincy got smacked by Miami last year then looked like they didn't belong against VT in the bowl game. Cincy like the rest of the AAC is overrated badly

Reactions: ohio herd
Cincy got smacked by Miami last year then looked like they didn't belong against VT in the bowl game. Cincy like the rest of the AAC is overrated badly
That is as may be, but I stand by what I said. Even if they get beat by the Hurricanes again, they could win every other game and be ranked ahead of Marshall. That game on their schedule looks miles better than Purdue.

We need to concern ourselves with our competition and not Boise or any other teams until it all plays out. JMO

Not sure who we concern ourselves with on a message board has any bearing on if our team wins all it's games this year.

That is as may be, but I stand by what I said. Even if they get beat by the Hurricanes again, they could win every other game and be ranked ahead of Marshall. That game on their schedule looks miles better than Purdue.

Cincy wont even win the AAC, there isnt 1 team in that conference that can run through it. But like I said Cincy will be embarrassed by the Canes this year

I think Boise, Cincinnati, and WKU are the top competition. If Boise can beat Washington and BYU to start the year, they'll have great momentum and little other comparable challenges. Cincinnati's top challenge is Miami FL. If they can walk into that game at 5-0, which would include a win vs Memphis, they'll have a good shot for the rest of the season. I think WKU has a real shot to beat everyone on their schedule except for LSU and that would still include wins vs Vanderbilt and Indiana, who are admittedly perennial cellar dwellers in the P5, but if Colorado State was getting positive PR and credit for beating Colorado last year, you can bet WKU will get the same for beating these two.

After that initial tier of top competition for an Access Bowl spot, I say Navyhas an outside chance. They only have 1 good game @ Notre Dame and don't play UCF or Cincinnati in AAC play.

Remember the AAC has a championship game this year.

But I think the top competition will be Marshall, Boise, and LT. Remember WKU lost 5 games last year. They beat us by 1 point and now everyone thinks they will be world beaters. Plus the AAC is filled with average to above-average teams who will just beat each other.

Remember the AAC has a championship game this year.

But I think the top competition will be Marshall, Boise, and LT. Remember WKU lost 5 games last year. They beat us by 1 point and now everyone thinks they will be world beaters. Plus the AAC is filled with average to above-average teams who will just beat each other.

I still think the AAC has the programs, top to bottom, in the G5. Cincinnati, ECU, and UCF are top quality programs almost every year and Memphis has done impressive things under Fuente. Navy had a great year last year and brings a troublesome offensive scheme to plan/respond to. Temple had one of its best seasons ever last season. SMU made a fantastic HC hire this past offseason.

With regards to WKU, I say keep pumping them up as world beaters. Let them have an incredible 1-loss season (LSU) going into the Marshall game so they can be as high up on the pedestal as possible for us to take them down. That can only benefit us and CUSA as a whole.

Reactions: jocktalker
lol so every opposing fan who comes over here talking crap is automatically a WVU fan in disguise? Get a grip man, WVU and it's fans aren't a boogey man living under your bed. Boise has a very arrogant fan base and that is almost assuredly one of their fans.
This guy is a Boise fan. Guaranteed.

I still think the AAC has the programs, top to bottom, in the G5. Cincinnati, ECU, and UCF are top quality programs almost every year and Memphis has done impressive things under Fuente. Navy had a great year last year and brings a troublesome offensive scheme to plan/respond to. Temple had one of its best seasons ever last season. SMU made a fantastic HC hire this past offseason.

With regards to WKU, I say keep pumping them up as world beaters. Let them have an incredible 1-loss season (LSU) going into the Marshall game so they can be as high up on the pedestal as possible for us to take them down. That can only benefit us and CUSA as a whole.

This is a joke right?? Any conference that lets Memphis come in and win the championship is overrated. Temple went 6-6 and didnt go to a bowl game and thats one of their best ever?? SMU didnt win a game, Chad Morris isnt going to come in and do wonders with a team that had no talent. ECU lost everything from players and Coaches plus I would say Ruffin is in the Hot seat. Cincy is overrated even with an experienced offense coming back. UCF will be very young on offense but tough on defense.

Like I said, it will be tough for any AAC to be able to navigate that conference undefeated

This is a joke right?? Any conference that lets Memphis come in and win the championship is overrated. Temple went 6-6 and didnt go to a bowl game and thats one of their best ever?? SMU didnt win a game, Chad Morris isnt going to come in and do wonders with a team that had no talent. ECU lost everything from players and Coaches plus I would say Ruffin is in the Hot seat. Cincy is overrated even with an experienced offense coming back. UCF will be very young on offense but tough on defense.

Like I said, it will be tough for any AAC to be able to navigate that conference undefeated

Memphis had a good year. That's indisputable. Are they historically bad? Yes, but that doesn't mean they weren't good last year. You're absolutely right on Temple. I thought they had a much better season than that last year. I think Chad Morris will do pretty solid things at SMU, personally, and has a lot more upside on paper than June Jones did when he started, in my opinion. ECU has a strong recent history and are very good more often than not. Cincinnati has had 9-10 wins/season for 4 seasons in a row.

I just don't get why there's so much hate around here towards the AAC. They're a good conference top-to-bottom.

Utah State has been such a roller coaster team the past few seasons, this could very well be an up swing year for them. Outside of Boise and Utah State, though, no one in the Mountain West looks like much.

I'm in agreement on the AAC. Cincy can surprise, UCF could very well be great again, Memphis is more or less an unknown in the whole situation. Season should be interesting to say the least.

I'm not sold on the AAC....ecu completely collapsed, again, due to their stage fright.
SMU lost June Jones because he hated how he was being treated.
Who knows how good this new guy is at SMU, but this isn't basketball, only a select few can win on their first try.
Memphis had ONE good year amidst a horrendous program...
ucf is about the only team who is consistent in this whole thing...and they can cough up a few losses.
Cincy just doesn't win as much as they're slated to.

It doesn't matter though, any success in the AAC for any coach, is probably going to get them hired by a P-5 school.

This is probably true, but look what he did with it? Absolutely nothing. He's not guaranteed to succeed at SMU, but he's got a better chance at it than Jones did.

Before jones got there, SMU had 2 winning seasons over the previous 20 years. Jones had only 2 losing seasons in his six years.

In six seasons, he won two C-USA division championships.

Those accomplishments considering what the school had done are no easy task.

Reactions: ohio herd
Whur's Cougar King to weigh in on all this? Probably lickin' his cod on the banks of the Houston Ship Channel.

I have mixed feeling about the AAC. On the one hand, they have a few teams who have historically been decent teams. Whereas the current C-USA has several up and comers. Last year put a serious question mark for me about the new conference. They appear to be equal to the new C-USA. Any advantage in football would be slight. I am pretty sure someone posted the rating on here and we were about the same. And when the money was passed around we did better. I am happy for now to be where we are.At the end of the day, if you are in a P-5 it doesn't really matter which one. You have to win, win big and knock off someone OOC of substance to get a NY day6 invite.

The only advantage the AAC has over us is they have ESPN in their back pocket and they help them land P5 schools on their schedule

Before jones got there, SMU had 2 winning seasons over the previous 20 years. Jones had only 2 losing seasons in his six years.

In six seasons, he won two C-USA division championships.

Those accomplishments considering what the school had done are no easy task.

That's absolutely a fair enough point. I still think Morris has more upside for SMU than Jones did, though.

Utah State has been such a roller coaster team the past few seasons, this could very well be an up swing year for them. Outside of Boise and Utah State, though, no one in the Mountain West looks like much.

I'm in agreement on the AAC. Cincy can surprise, UCF could very well be great again, Memphis is more or less an unknown in the whole situation. Season should be interesting to say the least.

Utah State's success will all fall on how healthy Chuckie Keaton's knees can stay.

Reactions: WV_Celt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT