ADVERTISEMENT

Coal Bowl 1 of 7 games...

Have to agree but this where the BIGS don't want to share. Everything to lose and nothing to gain other than the payday. It is a very profitable game for both schools no matter where it is played. That cannot be denied. True shame they can't seem to work it out...

Have to agree but this where the BIGS don't want to share. Everything to lose and nothing to gain other than the payday. It is a very profitable game for both schools no matter where it is played. That cannot be denied. True shame they can't seem to work it out...

Agree that we should play. I would suggest this format however.
Game #1 - in Huntington (last two were played in Morgantown)
Game #2 - Morgantown
Game #3 - Huntington
Game #4 - Morgantown
Game #5 - Huntington
Game #6 - Morgantown
Game #7 - Location TBA based upon coin flip by the Governor
Let's play!

Reactions: greengirl
I saw their new AD on the State Journal's Decision Makers last Sunday, in an interview with that Bray that just salivates WVU. He thinks we're about on a keel with Glenville. Marshall wasn't mentioned, but just from the body english, it'll never get back to a regular series; they talked about Penn State and VA Tech coming back on USPAM's schedule..

He is in for a sad wake up call...wvu is NOT Alabama...nor will they ever be.
wvu is going to end up taking whatever games they can get...and most of the OOC games are neutral sites.
Plus...the fickle fanbase is going to demand better games than their tune up FCS games.

If I'm WVU s AD I do everything my position allows to NOT play Marshall. If we win, and Id speculate in fact we would win all home games vs the eers, he gets all the blame. Like most states the legislature must force it, and in time it will again. I really don't blame the new AD at all. Patience on our side will help. He needs to prove his prowess early on.

All that said, to say we aren't on par with them now is a huge lie, our IAF alone speaks to that. I do wish they would stop the slander, but that's not our couch burning hillbillys style. In my memory only UVA had the foresight to see logistics and money would make VT a good confernce member and lobbied the ACC to have them as a member. I was impressed as much with the class behind that thought process as I was behind the smart economic sense it made.

Finally if Im Holdemyself I'm worrying real hard about losing my home opener v. Ga Southern. That team is back, and will give those high and mighty eerbillys all they want come Sept. Mark my words that W, if they get one won't be more than 3 points, and probably take a very questionable B12 officials call to save them coming down the stretch.

If I'm WVU s AD I do everything my position allows to NOT play Marshall. If we win, and Id speculate in fact we would win all home games vs the eers, he gets all the blame. Like most states the legislature must force it, and in time it will again. I really don't blame the new AD at all. Patience on our side will help. He needs to prove his prowess early on.

All that said, to say we aren't on par with them now is a huge lie, our IAF alone speaks to that. I do wish they would stop the slander, but that's not our couch burning hillbillys style. In my memory only UVA had the foresight to see logistics and money would make VT a good confernce member and lobbied the ACC to have them as a member. I was impressed as much with the class behind that thought process as I was behind the smart economic sense it made.

Finally if Im Holdemyself I'm worrying real hard about losing my home opener v. Ga Southern. That team is back, and will give those high and mighty eerbillys all they want come Sept. Mark my words that W, if they get one won't be more than 3 points, and probably take a very questionable B12 officials call to save them coming down the stretch.
As always, Marshall is undefeated in games never played!

Sorry, but our IAF certainly does NOT put us on par with WVU's football program. Heck, look at the disparity alone between the two schools football budgets, including the total coaches' salary packages. Heck, their individual coordinators salaries are not that far below Doc's basic salary. And it seems that after every season WVU is doing more improvements/upgrades to Mountaineer Field, this year widening/improving stadium concourses, adding restrooms, etc. IMPROVING the FAN EXPERIENCE. As for the JOAN, well, I guess Hammy is hoping that those original 1991 urinals and hand washing devices can make it another season or two without completely rusting through. As far as that goes, well the Henderson Center still has the original inefficient restroom plumbing from the EARLY 1980s. Guess the "fan experience" is just not that high on the MU athletic administration's list!

You were a Tron Martinez fumble from knocking off Bill Stewart in 2010.

Perhaps you should review the history behind Va Tech's invitation to the ACC b4 you spread rose petals around UVA's vote to include them.

USA strongly opposed the membership of Va Tech to the ACC until strong armed by the Gov. The only "thoughtful" process was facing the reality of state budget cuts unless they changed their position.

Reactions: Bronco-eer
wvu is going to end up taking whatever games they can get...and most of the OOC games are neutral sites.
Plus...the fickle fanbase is going to demand better games than their tune up FCS games.
Keep in mind that WVU plays only 3 OOC games per year. Within the next 10 seasons, WVU will play:
Maryland 3 times (2 in Morgantown, 1 at Maryland)
Virginia Tech 3 times (DC, Morgantown, Blacksburg)
BYU (in DC)
Missouri 2 times (home/away)
Penn State 2 times (home/away)
NC State 2 times (home/away)
Tennessee (in Charlotte)

That's 3 neutral site games, 6 home games, and 5 away games. I guess that's your idea of WVU "taking whatever games they can get"???

...and when do you actually do the Home/Away with PSU and VT?? 2021 and 2023?
Subtract that because it is not in the immediate future, some 6-7 years away?
You have 3 home games vs. P-5 schools in 5 years...that's it. You have 3 neutral site games...both not very close to you at all and all of whom you easily outdraw you (the Mormon Temple is located in Northern VA. VT...enough said. UT is going to out-travel just about anyone not in the SEC) in the same span.
I'm not counting MD this season since that's already been scheduled.

If any of the said schools feel it is more beneficial to schedule and play someone from their own conference whom they don't play that year, to better ensure themselves a shot at the CFP an not a basement dweller from another conference (like wvu), they'll pull out pocket change, buyout the game, tell you to piss off, and leave you hanging.

A lot can happen in 6-7 years...

Do you realize that you may not even be in the same division of football as some of your opponents when you're scheduled to play them?

Sorry, but our IAF certainly does NOT put us on par with WVU's football program. Heck, look at the disparity alone between the two schools football budgets, including the total coaches' salary packages. Heck, their individual coordinators salaries are not that far below Doc's basic salary. And it seems that after every season WVU is doing more improvements/upgrades to Mountaineer Field, this year widening/improving stadium concourses, adding restrooms, etc. IMPROVING the FAN EXPERIENCE. As for the JOAN, well, I guess Hammy is hoping that those original 1991 urinals and hand washing devices can make it another season or two without completely rusting through. As far as that goes, well the Henderson Center still has the original inefficient restroom plumbing from the EARLY 1980s. Guess the "fan experience" is just not that high on the MU athletic administration's list!
Yes...let's take a look at this.

Wvu gets roughly $20 million a year to spend on all athletics. Yes, that's miles away from us. But factor in...

Holgs' contract...$2.3 million.
Huggies' contract...$1.5 million.
Assistant coaches salaries...approx. $4.5 million.
Misc...oh...about $2 million (equipment, athletic trainers, misc travel funds and expenses).

Flight to Austin, Texas $500.00 (approx.). multiply that by 115 = $57,500 x 6 away games a year = $345,000 a season just to fly your football team out there.
Basketball team...25 people x 500.00 = $12,500 x 15 away games = $200,000 in travel for your team a season.
Multiply that by 2 because you have a women's team as well...$400,00 spent just in basketball travel alone.
I don't know how many players are on each team, average them likely is around 15 or so.
You have 10 women's sports and 5 men's sports. No women's sport generates revenue..so for each one, you lose money, and a lot of it since travel is so much longer.

Hotels for these teams...approx. $180.00 for the night. Multiply that by 115 = $20,700 x 6 away games =$124,000 spent on the football team for staying in a hotel. $144,000 for mens and womens basketball teams combined. $268,000 for your major sports to lodge in a season.

Just a rough estimate...we're looking at $10.3 million on coaching salaries alone. $745,000 for travel in mens and womens basketball and football. $1.013 million in lodging and travel total just for your major programs. You're already halfway over the mark. I did not include the minor sports either in hotels...nor did I include recruiting budgets.
While the idea of that money sounds lucrative, the cost versus return, is pitiful for wvu.

Herdstruck, not sure where you got your numbers but WVU's athletic budget is nearly $100 million and the school expects to finish the year with a $4 million surplus.

Marshall finished the 2013-14 FYI in the red and needed nearly a 30% subsidy from the University's general funds to break even. I haven't seen projections from Marshall for this FY but I assume another subsidy will be required to balance the books.

I always am amused by the number of eerbilly fans that laud there's no rivalry between the two Div 1 schools in the state of WV yet are always trolling our boards and will defend any perceived negative comments about their beloved school, attended or adopted otherwise.

Bottom line, logistics, economics, intrigue into a smaller states D1 football battle, and just plain ole fun should dictate the game be played. I'd argue why not play it every OTHER year home and home. This would allow for an even bigger build up between games, in state kids could at least get one shot at the other school and reduce scheduling worries for two schools in different conferences.

I do find it hilarious if one looks at the OOC games eerbilly high has scheduled as just stated previously in this thread it appears they have used logic , and logistics as their reasoning....so why not Marshall?

I'll make a prediction, someday soon their is going to be realignment , realignment. Traveling to Austin to play Tejas when VT is 2 to 3 hours drive away is just $tupid.

I always am amused by the number of eerbilly fans that laud there's no rivalry between the two Div 1 schools in the state of WV yet are always trolling our boards and will defend any perceived negative comments about their beloved school, attended or adopted otherwise.

Bottom line, logistics, economics, intrigue into a smaller states D1 football battle, and just plain ole fun should dictate the game be played. I'd argue why not play it every OTHER year home and home. This would allow for an even bigger build up between games, in state kids could at least get one shot at the other school and reduce scheduling worries for two schools in different conferences.

I do find it hilarious if one looks at the OOC games eerbilly high has scheduled as just stated previously in this thread it appears they have used logic , and logistics as their reasoning....so why not Marshall?

I'll make a prediction, someday soon their is going to be realignment , realignment. Traveling to Austin to play Tejas when VT is 2 to 3 hours drive away is just $tupid.
Ah, the trip to Austin, Waco, Ft. Worth, and Lubbock are all Conference games like Marshall going to San Antonio, El Paso, Houston, et al.

BTW, the only upside for Marshall playing WVU is that it is the ONLY chance to sell out JCE Stadium. The only two sellouts were to both WVU in 2007 and 2010.

Herdstruck, not sure where you got your numbers but WVU's athletic budget is nearly $100 million and the school expects to finish the year with a $4 million surplus.

Marshall finished the 2013-14 FYI in the red and needed nearly a 30% subsidy from the University's general funds to break even. I haven't seen projections from Marshall for this FY but I assume another subsidy will be required to balance the books.

And they continue to get 100% of the soda tax..

And all of that has left them with an 18-20 record the last 3 years. Just because you pay a coach a whole bunch of Monday doesn't make them a better coach. It just puts you in a position to keep them around longer

Reactions: HerdFan91

You must not have read todays Gazette. You only have a surplus of just north of a $1M. Yes your revenue has gone up but so has your expenses

All government entities spend their budgets down to nothing. Its why it costs government 3-4 times as much to do anything. The idea that you can judge the profitability of state-funded athletic departments as if they were private industry is a fallacy. The only way to judge them as private industry would be to remove their government subsidy, all the way down to the state-provided stadiums they play in, and see if they could swim. Spoiler: maybe about 20 schools could.

LOL, I openly laugh when I read a hear comments like nehlenfeeler. Ollie Luck a non WVan used his attorney rhetoric and stopped the series. Why? Becuase it helped HIM, and what his ultimate goal was, was to use WVU as a stepping stone. What he did was exactly that, he used WVU installed the we don't play MU rhetoric to make certain his stepping stones didnt get moved by losing at Marshall. He left the state with a yearly economic loss of at least 1 million per year, he left WVU on PROBATION and he got them into a confernce that is logistally and competively a complete trai wreck.

So NF if you want to continue to espouse Ollie's BS rhetoric, while your state loses millions on a game that needs to be played for the STATES sake, not not played for Ollie's career sake then please do carry on.

Attorney gullible, burning couches, and beating up pregnant mothers in the parking lot is no way to go through life son. Get a life, Ollie is gone , and he used your school and the state of WV like a cheap suit.

Look, while I truly believe this series should be played no matter the "risk" for WVU, this series is not gonna happen for awhile.

Marshall is just good enough to beat them every once in awhile, and if these two play on the right day, I think Marshall could actually beat them pretty good. With that being said, Marshall isn't good enough to draw a ton of attention to this game on a national level, or for the committee to dub this an infamous "Good Loss" for WVU.

WVU believes the risk is greater than the reward, therefore, they don't wanna play us.

Look, while I truly believe this series should be played no matter the "risk" for WVU, this series is not gonna happen for awhile.

Marshall is just good enough to beat them every once in awhile, and if these two play on the right day, I think Marshall could actually beat them pretty good. With that being said, Marshall isn't good enough to draw a ton of attention to this game on a national level, or for the committee to dub this an infamous "Good Loss" for WVU.

WVU believes the risk is greater than the reward, therefore, they don't wanna play us.

Every game was Nationally Televised and sought out by networks because of the high ratings. That's why this game was moved to time slots so it could be the only game on in that time slot. WTF are you talking about

OK, here is the reality.

WVU's non-alumni fan base remains totally fixated on Marshall. When they lose, and they have not won anything of significance since moving up to the True Major level and leaving the joke Big East cupcake conference, "But Marshall, blah, blah, blah," is all they have.

WVU athletic future is clear.

Probably, WVU is going to poke along at 7-5, 5-7, 4-6, 7,5 8-4, on and on. It does not have the ability to compete with a well run Texas (Texas is currently run by morons) or Oklahoma, and not really either with it fellow field fillers in that league. It is afterthought.

Now does it fairweather fan base accept that? People so stupid they bought the vomit covered lie that what happened in the so-called Big East was of any significance at all. Will they continue to show up to see "their" team pounded. Year after year. On and on. Over and over. Never, never, ever, never, ever, winning more than 8 or 9 games. Mostly losing. More losing seasons than winning ones.

If they do, they don't need us. If they can fly out to the desert southwest every other weekend, and get assreamed, and cash the check, and then draw 50 or 55K for home assreamings, then they have no reason to bother with us.

But, and I think this will happen, the fanbase starts to fall away. 50K. 40K. 35K. Four for one specials. Upgrade day. Eight tickets and a box of popcorn and a Coke for $20. Then they have 25K seats we can sell for them, and nobody else in the world (that is willing to play them) can.

Our future is pretty clear, too. We have the right AD, the right coach, and the right conference. If we can sell 25 or so K and the playoff system continues to pay us as now, we don't need 'em. A WVU game in the Big City, for us, is 10K seats sold. (In both cases TV is irrelevant, its sold nationally, by conference, and its just one game in the package.) 10K seats, every year or, more likely, every 3rd or 4th year, is NBD.

Thanks sam. As always Marshall is inevitably on the rise and WVU has no where to go but down. You should just copy and paste your 5 paragraphs of bulls*** so your wrists can be used for other activities!

Sooo...are you just in denial that wvu has been absolutely embarrassed in their new conference? The fan base also is becoming less interested in non exciting FCS schools.

Didnt your coach even say something like, 'At LSU they are hosting an 0-6 UK team and they have upwards of 90,000 at the game. We have a tough Bowling Green team and we have 45,000 fans here. I know wvu fans are supposed to be loyal but after this I dunno...'

Go and look at the numbers when you played average to below average teams in your old conference...when you too, were terrible.
wvu had some very pitiful numbers in attendance...which proves C's point...the only draws for crowds are going to be marquee teams like Texas and Oklahoma...so essentially, wvubis going to be riding on the coat tails of their conference members' successes in order to stay relevant in attendance...but after 20 years of losing...even Baylor and Kansas wouldnt sell out to a top 5 Texas or OU team...and their fanbases are much better than wvu's...so does lie the fate of wvu

"wvu had some very pitiful numbers in attendance"

Towson 56,414
Oklahoma 61,908
Kansas 52,164
Baylor 60,758
TCU 61,190
Kansas State 47,683

Pitiful?? If these are pitiful than Marsha's whole existence has been pitiful. Oh wait...

Put letters together and they form a word. Put those words together, they form a sentence. Put those together they form paragraphs. Do this in sequence and "it almost seems like my head forms thoughts because of this practice."

It's called reading you moron.

Try reading what I wrote again.

Like I stated, eerbilly fans will tell you there's no rivalry , tell you no way there should be a game since they bought Ollie's self promoting rhetoric , but by gosh they'll show up outa nowhere cruising our boards and defend their precious pups and psycho coach.

Honesty,can you idiots sit there now and tell us you didn't make a huge mistake taking a loyal instate coach and even an alum named Doc instead of taking that idiot from Oklahoma misstaake?

Enlighten us on why the screaming crotch catcher has been a better choice (again a choice made by your AD Ollie Luck) than Holliday. Oh and again why did he NOT choose Holliday, becuase he KNEW Holliday would have gained as much power as him IF he won. So instead he took the screaming crotch catcher.

Enlighten me, oh and please provide B12 win loss record to support your argument since October 2012. :)

"wvu had some very pitiful numbers in attendance"

Towson 56,414
Oklahoma 61,908
Kansas 52,164
Baylor 60,758
TCU 61,190
Kansas State 47,683

Pitiful?? If these are pitiful than Marsha's whole existence has been pitiful. Oh wait...

Well idiot, allow me to enlighten you...

"Go and look at the numbers when you played average to below average teams in your old conference...when you too, were terrible.
wvu had some very pitiful numbers in attendance."

That is what I said you wannabe college graduate.
Here's some numbers...

1991 season...
43,767 vs. Temple
38,127 vs. Rutgers

45,418 vs. Miami ohio
27,751 vs. Louisiana Tech
41,139 vs. ECU

Hell, that year you had a #24 ranking hosting #14 Syracuse...and you came up 10,000+ fans short of a sellout.

You sold out 2 games when you were on that miracle 11-1 run...even worse...during the majority of the season you came almost 10,000 fans shy of those games too (Remember, at the time, wvu's field was 63,000).

You sold out Miami (when they were good) and Maryland.
The rest, your best home game came with 50,063 once...the rest were well below that.

You broke 60K once when you hosted Purdue and you were ranked and it was the 1st game of the season.
VT's game with you saw 59,000+...the rest were in the 40,000's range.
(The last game that season, at home vs. Pitt, it drew 38,000).

You broke 60K once, against Miami.
The rest minus BC at home at just over 58K...weren't very close at all, again, 40K average or so.

Funny you talk about how wvu was Marshall's highest attended game...
Guess what?
MARSHALL was wvu's highest attended game THAT SEASON!
We even outdrew VT who came to wvu to play that season.
Minus those two games, the highest attended games were 51K...twice.
OUCH!

You broke your capacity twice...against osu and Miami.
Everyone else, was low 50K...again.

No sell out games...closest was 56K against VT.
You guys did have a jaw dropping number for Temple...drumroll please...34,908.

Miami and Notre Dame you sold out, not even close the rest of the way...minus VT, 40's again.

VT came close to a sell out. Only one broke 50K as well...the rest? 40's.

No sell outs. Close one with VT but no cigar.

This is when wvu begins to turn things around and the fairweathers come out as well as the fickle fanbase once again.

However, the record wvu had in that decade or so with craptastic records, is very indicative that the fans really don't care about the team and just want someone who wins.
The same path wvu headed in once before, is where they're heading in again.

Substitute Miami with Texas and Pitt with OU...and neither consider you a rival by any means, but those are the only two meaningful games the "fans" will get up for...so once more, you need to rely on the ranking and successes of others, in order to bring a crowd to your stadium.

In short,
wvu is scheduling pitiful teams alongside some good ones(several over 5 years away which is plenty of time to buyout and form a new conference or even shift schedules)with a horrible record, they won't generate the interest and attendance.
Lowly little Marshall was your highest attended game in 1997 and 2006, 2nd highest in 2008, 3rd highest in 2011 (included with LSU and Pitt, the final game) oh and 2012, the 2nd highest attended game second only to your inaugural Big 12 ass raping.
Guess nobody cares or even gets up for the games against Marshall, and only everyone else, right?
Oh wait...

Well idiot, allow me to enlighten you...
It amazes me that you repeatedly bring up the topic of WVU's attendance when MU's attendance history is somewhat less than stellar, to say the least. Even in the "craptastic" 1990s, WVU had more sellouts than MU. Here is a little chart that compares WVU's annual attendance with MU's since MU moved up to Div 1-A:
Ave attendance, % capacity

WVU MU
1997 52,854 83.2 26,397 88.0
1998 54,136 85.3 24,788 82.6
1999 45,562 71.8 28,673 95.6
2000 51,993 81.9 27,884 73.3
2001 48,323 76.1 25,455 67.0
2002 52,413 82.5 27,789 73.1
2003 52,205 82.2 27,837 73.2
2004 56,545 94.2 25,933 68.2
2005 56,287 93.8 26,510 69.7
2006 58,773 98.0 25,910 68.2
2007 60,400 100.7 30,020 79.0
2008 58,085 96.8 24,766 65.1
2009 57,317 95.5 22,236 58.5
2010 56,325 93.9 27,046 71.1
2011 56,532 94.2 25,874 68.1
2012 55,916 93.2 24,896 65.5
2013 52,910 88.2 25,023 65.8
2014 56,686 94.5 27,461 72.2
Ave 54,626 89.2 26,361 72.5

The fact that WVU's non-alumni fan base posts here is all you need to know.

Pick any school, anywhere, at the supposed level WVU aggrandizes itself to. And then pick the school at the level that it assigns Marshall relative to that school. And show me the posts. They simply are not there.

But, here are the Spamites. Fixated. Obsessed. With Marshall.

Because the reality, both of their pathetic failed lives, and of "their" (same word as on their license plate, no actual relationship) school's afterthought field filler loser football program is too sad to deal with. So, after another year where August's "usens is going to win that there national championship" turns to October's "the Gator Bowl is OK", turns to December's "remember when wesens beat them there Rutgers back in 95, Rutgers was just like Alabama then, only better. Tony told me that." Turns to January's "But Marshall, blah, blah, blah."

Fixated.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT