ADVERTISEMENT

Dear God: Please let our men's major sports get better.

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
So we can have something to really talk about.

If this continues, I am going to have Michigan and Sistersville and last but, not least, rifle talk about their sport's glory days.

Or maybe when me and my neighbor, Jermaine beat two middle school kids in hoops in double overtime.

Damn it can we talk about the 99 football season or how good Maurice Bryson could dunk or something. Or maybe, that pro wifle ball league. NCAA championship is tonight. Talk about that Lurch for Purdue or something.

This is as bad as the channel getting stuck on the LPGA tournament. Or better yet, getting stuck behind four women on the first tee at the 10am tee time on Saturday morning. This is as bad as what happened to ESPN.

I used to love it when fellas would drive up to the first tee and see my daughter on the tee. There was always that look and muffled whining about “playing behind a girl”. Then my daughter would stripe it about 230 down the middle and the pained looks turned to surprise. We (my daughter and I) would make a point to look back and watch the ones complaining roll, top and skank it off the tee. Kinda sounds like you might be one of “those guys”.

So we can have something to really talk about.

If this continues, I am going to have Michigan and Sistersville and last but, not least, rifle talk about their sport's glory days.

Or maybe when me and my neighbor, Jermaine beat two middle school kids in hoops in double overtime.

Damn it can we talk about the 99 football season or how good Maurice Bryson could dunk or something. Or maybe, that pro wifle ball league. NCAA championship is tonight. Talk about that Lurch for Purdue or something.

This is as bad as the channel getting stuck on the LPGA tournament. Or better yet, getting stuck behind four women on the first tee at the 10am tee time on Saturday morning. This is as bad as what happened to ESPN.
You have a great memory. I can only sit and think about the career of Kim Humphreys.

Mel B Girl GIF by Spice Girls

Considering our two main programs aren't functioning at their best, I'll take all the positives I can get. Mens soccer plays for the spring league title on Saturday. They should have another outstanding season in 2024.

At Marshall we are a Soccer and Womens basketball school. The new WRs from portal are intriguing but I don’t have much hope we’ll do better than 8-4 in Football this year and am Luke Warm on mens Basketball until I see otherwise.
With all the unknowns, I'd take 8-4 in a heartbeat. Men's b'ball has a tough road ahead - hoping CJ and Co. can navigate it well.

With all the unknowns, I'd take 8-4 in a heartbeat. Men's b'ball has a tough road ahead - hoping CJ and Co. can navigate it well.
I don't know what to think about football. We have a pretty tough schedule, especially the OoC slate, and we have unknowns at OC, QB, RB, OL, WR, DL, CB, K, and P. There isn't one single thing that any reasonable person could point to with confidence and feel we're good.

As for MBB. I do think we'll be better. Not sure how much better, but from what I've heard over the last year straight from an assistant coach, our recruiting should improve with Dan out of the picture. If Corny and his staff can recruit just well enough to where players don't have to play out of position, that alone should boost the win column.

I'll have to look back through the newspaper clippings from the late 70s, but I think there's a shot of me guarding big Earl Jones, with my nose and face being level with his crotch. Didn't smell very good, but I don't remember him being able to ever dunk on me, likely due to dunking not being allowed back then.

I'll have to look back through the newspaper clippings from the late 70s, but I think there's a shot of me guarding big Earl Jones, with my nose and face being level with his crotch. Didn't smell very good, but I don't remember him being able to ever dunk on me, likely due to dunking not being allowed back then.
Earl not going to dunk on you. Bag tag them nuts with a head butt.

rifle, tell us about your basketball game where you went up against a well known player that went on to play for Duke. And, basketball wasn't even your best sport. If I remember correctly, he and a famous singer from across the pond have the same first name.

I used to love it when fellas would drive up to the first tee and see my daughter on the tee. There was always that look and muffled whining about “playing behind a girl”. Then my daughter would stripe it about 230 down the middle and the pained looks turned to surprise. We (my daughter and I) would make a point to look back and watch the ones complaining roll, top and skank it off the tee. Kinda sounds like you might be one of “those guys”.
I don't snicker. I am not any good at golf. I just don't like slow ass play. Nothing personal. Just sometimes the women get out there and lollygag around. I don't care about their ability. I got paired one time with a 13 year old Korean girl that was like on the Phenom Tour or something. She whooped my ass at golf. Rode along with her and her parents on vacation in Florida. Those Korean women are really good.

That actually might make a good marriage or partnership. Korean woman who is good at golf. I could sandbag my buddies on bets and then Mamasan could cook me dinner and have the house all cleaned up. Good at laundry too. American women wont do that stuff anymore. We don't even know what is what anymore.

rifle, tell us about your basketball game where you went up against a well known player that went on to play for Duke.
And was the #1 overall NBA draft pick.

If I remember correctly, he and a famous singer from across the pond have the same first name.
Adele? Ozzy? Paul? Amy? Rod? Seal? Harry? Sam? Mick? Ed? None of those ring a bell.

Let's talk about my single-season passing yards record for my high school, which now that it has merged with another city high school, will never be broken. It's not as impressive as scoring four TDs for Polk High in the city championship game against Andrew Johnson High, but it's close.

Probably not as entertaining as my fight with Nick Swisher while he was playing for Ohio State, and then our random conversation many years later when he was in MLB.

Mods, this board sees an average of 2.4 threads active each day. Again, on average, only 2.4 threads per day are posted in (not started) on this board. I am trying my damnedest to save this board, just like I built Pullman and just like I built Thunder in the Mountains (before Benedict Arnold threw a tantrum).

In order to help this board, I recommend not moving threads that I start that are popular, such as the pictures of a former Marshall head football coach's daughter. I know what the people want and what fills the seats, and that post accomplishes both. Further, I'd like you to closely monitor the political comments made by posters on this board, as they are not allowed on here and divide this board.

To start, I'd like to draw your attention to this one:

American women wont do that stuff anymore. We don't even know what is what anymore.

He may be the People's Moderator, but he isn't the People's President, so let's get that in check before this board ends up having .4 active threads per day.

Mods, this board sees an average of 2.4 threads active each day. Again, on average, only 2.4 threads per day are posted in (not started) on this board. I am trying my damnedest to save this board, just like I built Pullman and just like I built Thunder in the Mountains (before Benedict Arnold threw a tantrum).

In order to help this board, I recommend not moving threads that I start that are popular, such as the pictures of a former Marshall head football coach's daughter. I know what the people want and what fills the seats, and that post accomplishes both. Further, I'd like you to closely monitor the political comments made by posters on this board, as they are not allowed on here and divide this board.

To start, I'd like to draw your attention to this one:

He may be the People's Moderator, but he isn't the People's President, so let's get that in check before this board ends up having .4 active threads per day.
I am trying to save it too. All they talk is about women's sports. I am trying to work with you. All I was saying is American women play sports and things like that now. They don't do traditional cooking and being housewives. That is a fact. The one guy was talking about his daughter striping a 230 drive, which is impressive.

And was the #1 overall NBA draft pick.

Adele? Ozzy? Paul? Amy? Rod? Seal? Harry? Sam? Mick? Ed? None of those ring a bell.

Let's talk about my single-season passing yards record for my high school, which now that it has merged with another city high school, will never be broken. It's not as impressive as scoring four TDs for Polk High in the city championship game against Andrew Johnson High, but it's close.

Probably not as entertaining as my fight with Nick Swisher while he was playing for Ohio State, and then our random conversation many years later when he was in MLB.
Has the same first name as the guy sang Candle In the Wind. Rocket Man.

While prayer is, IMHO, always important, the Deity has little to do with why MU sports are as they are. As the saying goes, God helps those that help themselves. So:

- Fire CS and get a LEADER in here.
- Resume conducting the affairs of the department in the manner that other state owned, donation funded public colleges do, in the open and in the full glow of media scrutiny.
- Inform CH that it is obvious that in the very unlikely event he is able to right the ship in 24, that is 99% certain to get him the job he really wants, and if the probable outcome of him failing to do so happens instead, he is fired. No press release will be issued saying what he accomplished is "unacceptable" but then accepting it will be issued. For him, or anyone, ever again.
- Either admit that men's basketball is something we do because the NCAA/SBC make us and thus a token effort is all fans can expect, or inform CJ that he, as DD's man, is on the same short leash that DD should have been on, and that, in this bottom-level, token effort conference's level of play, fourth place is a bad year and we EXPECT and DEMAND better.
- Inform the cabal that, while their donations are welcome and needed, decisions on athletics will be made by the professionals that replace CS and his crew and based on professional and trained opinions, and not on a desire to hire alumni, locals, people who we think will never try to move up, people who TALK a good game, etc. And if they are not down for that, then fine. Enjoy the Coal Cats.

At Marshall we are a Soccer and Womens basketball school. The new WRs from portal are intriguing but I don’t have much hope we’ll do better than 8-4 in Football this year and am Luke Warm on mens Basketball until I see otherwise.
This is an incredibly optimistic outlook... Not Perkins level, but very rosy.

8-4 in football next season would be an incredible year... We have question marks everywhere and our schedule is harder than last season in the non-conference. If Huff gets the team bowl eligible next year it will be his best coaching job at MU by a mile.

I think we are all in the same boat on basketball... Gotta wait and see what we can get out of the portal and hope CJ and hi staff can get them on the same page fast.

This is an incredibly optimistic outlook... Not Perkins level, but very rosy.

8-4 in football next season would be an incredible year... We have question marks everywhere and our schedule is harder than last season in the non-conference. If Huff gets the team bowl eligible next year it will be his best coaching job at MU by a mile.

I think we are all in the same boat on basketball... Gotta wait and see what we can get out of the portal and hope CJ and hi staff can get them on the same page fast.
I'm not sure we will be any good next year but the path to 6 wins doesn't look crazy difficult to me.

Let's just assume losses @OSU, @Va Tech and @JMU.

We SHOULD beat Stony Brook and WMU at home.

Our west division cross-over division games are against the two worst teams from 2023 in USM and ULM. Other very winnable games on the schedule are @ODU and home against GA State.

I'd think home against App State and CCU and @GASO are "winnable", too. Any of them likely? Probably not, but we may only need one or two to get bowl eligible.

I only point all that out to say I don't think making a bowl game should be a feather in Huff's cap in 2024.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I am not trying to be negative here but for the life of me I am searching for any reason to believe this year will be any different in football than last year.
we should go 2-2 OOC
we will probably go 5-3 in the Sun Belt
That takes us to 7-5 (best case ) if we get a few bounces and several of these P5 kids actually work out. So far we have seen a few do well but thus far not so much.
This is year 4 of the Huff regime and we are still trying to establish who our QB will be. Our ol needs to improve by leaps and bounds or it won't matter who takes the snaps.
I'll be there at the Joan just like I was at Ole Fairfield growing up and now for the past 52 years, but TBH I am not very optimistic. Hope I am wrong . I will go on record and say that Huff will get a 5th year unless the wheels completely fall off the wagon.

Last edited:
I'm not sure we will be any good next year but the path to 6 wins doesn't look crazy difficult to me.

Let's just assume losses @OSU, @Va Tech and @JMU.

We SHOULD beat Stony Brook and WMU at home.

Our west division cross-over division games are against the two worst teams from 2023 in USM and ULM. Other very winnable games on the schedule are @ODU and home against GA State.

I'd think home against App State and CCU and @GASO are "winnable", too. Any of them likely? Probably not, but we may only need one or two to get bowl eligible.

I only point all that out to say I don't think making a bowl game should be a feather in Huff's cap in 2024.
I think 6 wins is definitely doable... But 8 is unlikely.

I agree that we will be on the wrong end of Ohio State, VT and JMU... But you should add App in there too. They will be favorites to win the East. They killed us last year and they bring a lot back, way more than us.

Georgia Southern, Western Michigan, ODU and Coastal are tossups... We will need two of them to get to 6-6.

We should definitely beat Stony Brook, Louisiana Monroe, Ga State, Southern Miss.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT