ADVERTISEMENT

Doc in Lexington last night

we had a nice turn out last night and got some new Big Green members again this year. The Voice of The Herd was on hand to handle the Emcee duties which is always nice. Both Dan and Doc had some great things to say. 14 Cheerleaders made the trip as well.

Reactions: Mike Gwinn
The fact our coaches or players have to tell our fans they need us in the stadium tells me all I need to know about our fanbase.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Yeah, we suck. Other than a handful of teams, name some that say they never need fans in the seats? I get your point but this stuff gets old. Surely to gawd you know overall attendance is down in just about every sport, in every venue.

Actually I agree, I'm amazed we don't pack the Joan each home game. We should be averaging close to 33k minimum instead of the 27.5k We should sell out Purdue, but I bet we barley get 30k. It's sad.

Hambone has don't much to improve the INSIDE of the stadium but not much as far as OUTSIDE the stadium where fan experience is the point. I've said before, redo the bathrooms, paint the girders, put in a new fence with brick corners and yes add a beer garden with brats and picnic tables and a kids area and watch attendence grow.

The city of Huntington needs to help too. Better traffic flow, clean the streets around the stadium and even side streets. The winter filth needs to be cleaned up with a flat nosed shovel and a crew.

Hygienics, fan experience outside of the stadium and traffic flow will all help to improve attendance. Still Docs right, players respond to a loud crowd. In our defense our 28k is sometimes louder than many 50k stadiums.

Doc isn't the first Herd coach to tell fans to come to the stadium and won't be the last. Why you guys worry about those that don't come is something I don't understand. I quit worrying about that and stressing over every play a long time ago and enjoy myself much more at games. I invite, encourage and ask people to go but I can't make them. People have to choose to go.

Personally I think it is crazy that Herd fans don't go into the stadium or drive down the street for a game. I love it. And I bring some from Lexington that aren't even graduates of Marshall. There are only so many chances to see The Herd and I don't want to miss them. I think it is even more sad we can't get 6k fans at the Marshall-WVU basketball game considering our fans have historically complained about wanting to see teams from Big conferences play The Herd. I wish I was closer so I can go and support more teams and enjoy more games in many sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT