ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN 2019 Football Power Index has Marshall as most likely to win CUSA East

Basically, what he's saying is Texas and OU run the Big 12. Everyone else isn't even remotely close to their level in terms of history or prestige. Anyone who ever had it, departed for the SEC or Big 10.
For all the wvu fans who beat their chest saying how amazing they are during the days of the Big East are rightfully being put in their place in a P5 conference (largely depleted of depth) by largely coming up short in a conference run by 2 teams each season.
I know what he is saying......its just so easy to light his fuse. I’m not around WVU fans in my neck of the woods so I don’t deal with any of that. But honestly most conferences are controlled by two teams. I remember the Big Ten was called the big two little eight for years. Sammy has two raw nerves.....WVU and YAGS it’s good for the site.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
I know what he is saying......its just so easy to light his fuse. I’m not around WVU fans in my neck of the woods so I don’t deal with any of that. But honestly most conferences are controlled by two teams. I remember the Big Ten was called the big two little eight for years. Sammy has two raw nerves.....WVU and YAGS it’s good for the site.

You're right about a few teams really being the face of the conferences they're in.

Basically, what he's saying is Texas and OU run the Big 12. Everyone else isn't even remotely close to their level in terms of history or prestige. Anyone who ever had it, departed for the SEC or Big 10.
For all the wvu fans who beat their chest saying how amazing they are during the days of the Big East are rightfully being put in their place in a P5 conference (largely depleted of depth) by largely coming up short in a conference run by 2 teams each season.

Maybe you haven't noticed that WVU holds a 5-3 all time record over Texas, and 4-3 since joining the Big 12. Now, Oklahoma............that's a different story all together.

All games
2018/11/03 West Virginia 42 - Texas 41 W
2017/11/18 West Virginia 14 - Texas 28 L
2016/11/12 West Virginia 24 - Texas 20 W
2015/11/14 West Virginia 38 - Texas 20 W
2014/11/08 West Virginia 16 - Texas 33 L
2013/11/09 West Virginia 40 - Texas 47 L OT
2012/10/06 West Virginia 48 - Texas 45 W
1956/10/06 West Virginia 7 - Texas 6 W

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/series/wv/tx.shtml

How exactly can a Marshall fan consider wvu to be a field filler considering how they have fared in the Big 12 compared to how Marshall has fared in C-USA?

2015: wvu finished 5th out of 10
2015: Marshall finished 5th out of 13

2016: wvu finished 3rd out of 10
2016: Marshall finished 10th out of 13

2017: wvu finished 5th out of 10
2017: Marshall finished 7th out of 13

2018: wvu finished 4th out of 10
2018: Marshall finished 3rd out of 13

Over the last four years, wvu's average finish in the Big 12 is 4.25 out of 10. Over the last four years, Marshall's average finish in C-USA is 6.25 out of 13.

wvu has competed better in the Big 12 over the last four years than Marshall has competed in C-USA over the last four years.

If you want to argue that wvu is a field filler in the Big 12, you'd have to also agree that Marshall is a field filler in C-USA over the last four years.
Or stated another way:
2015-wvu finished ahead of 5 teams
Mu finished ahead of 8 teams
2016-wvu ahead of 7
mu ahead of 3.
2017-wvu ahead of 5.
Mu ahead of 6.
2018-wvu ahead of 6.
Mu ahead of 10.
Mu has finished ahead of more teams in their conference in 3 of the last 4 years than wv has. Numbers can be twisted any which way you want to make a case.

Or stated another way:
2015-wvu finished ahead of 5 teams
Mu finished ahead of 8 teams
2016-wvu ahead of 7
mu ahead of 3.
2017-wvu ahead of 5.
Mu ahead of 6.
2018-wvu ahead of 6.
Mu ahead of 10.
Mu has finished ahead of more teams in their conference in 3 of the last 4 years than wv has. Numbers can be twisted any which way you want to make a case.

Sure, numbers can be twisted, but most people have a little bit of logic as part of their intelligence. Your claim would assume everyone is void of any logic.

You’re counting teams that each school finishes ahead of as your determining factor, but you fail to acknowledge that C-USA has 30% more teams than the Big 12. In other words, using your scoring system, C-USA teams have a huge, built-in advantage.

Pretend C-USA has 100 teams. Pretend the Big 12 has only two teams. Assuming you are comparing one school from each conference, which team do you think would almost always win a contest of how many teams they finished in front of? The only way the Big 12 team would win is if they won the conference and the C-USA team finished 100th out of 100 teams.

See how dumb your attempt is? That’s why I used averages and percentages. Finishing with an average spot of 4.25 out of 10 teams is better than finishing with an average spot of 6.25 out of 13 teams.

But maybe you should look at general competitiveness and not be so particular, right? Fine. Over the last four years, wvu has finished in the top half of their conference every single year. Over that same time, Marshall has only finished in the top half of their conference two out of the four years.

Twisting numbers can be done, but at some point, you better include some logic to support why you’re twisting them.

Sure, numbers can be twisted, but most people have a little bit of logic as part of their intelligence. Your claim would assume everyone is void of any logic.

You’re counting teams that each school finishes ahead of as your determining factor, but you fail to acknowledge that C-USA has 30% more teams than the Big 12. In other words, using your scoring system, C-USA teams have a huge, built-in advantage.

Pretend C-USA has 100 teams. Pretend the Big 12 has only two teams. Assuming you are comparing one school from each conference, which team do you think would almost always win a contest of how many teams they finished in front of? The only way the Big 12 team would win is if they won the conference and the C-USA team finished 100th out of 100 teams.

See how dumb your attempt is? That’s why I used averages and percentages. Finishing with an average spot of 4.25 out of 10 teams is better than finishing with an average spot of 6.25 out of 13 teams.

But maybe you should look at general competitiveness and not be so particular, right? Fine. Over the last four years, wvu has finished in the top half of their conference every single year. Over that same time, Marshall has only finished in the top half of their conference two out of the four years.

Twisting numbers can be done, but at some point, you better include some logic to support why you’re twisting them.
Not doubting logic. Just saying numbers can be presented any which way.

Maybe you haven't noticed that WVU holds a 5-3 all time record over Texas, and 4-3 since joining the Big 12. Now, Oklahoma............that's a different story all together.

All games
2018/11/03 West Virginia 42 - Texas 41 W
2017/11/18 West Virginia 14 - Texas 28 L
2016/11/12 West Virginia 24 - Texas 20 W
2015/11/14 West Virginia 38 - Texas 20 W
2014/11/08 West Virginia 16 - Texas 33 L
2013/11/09 West Virginia 40 - Texas 47 L OT
2012/10/06 West Virginia 48 - Texas 45 W
1956/10/06 West Virginia 7 - Texas 6 W

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/series/wv/tx.shtml

Texas hasn't exactly been stellar lately. 2018 was a season for them to show progress and hope however.

To switch this in the other direction. The football team is going to be good this year. Possible conference champion. I’ve given up on an access bowl, but a conference championship...yes it’s with in reach.

No Access Bowl as we lose to both Boise St. and Cincy...however they both have a shot at it.

Not doubting logic. Just saying numbers can be presented any which way.
True, I like how he left out the 2013 and 2014 seasons despite the fact that WVU was in the Big-12 in those years as well. You include our 2nd and 1st place finishes in CUSA for those years and you suddenly see that we have an average placement of 4.5 out of 13.5 while WVU placed 5.33 out of 10. We also has one outlier year (2016) that greatly dropped our average placement while WVU has been consistently in the middle of the pack. Using central mean, MU has a placement of 3.92 out of 13.5 from 2013-2018, while WVU has a placement of 5.25 out of 10. WVU have 1 Top-3 finish while we have 4. I'm not saying we are a better program than WVU, as we play at different levels, but we have been more successful in CUSA than they have been in the Big-12.

Reactions: ohio herd
True, I like how he left out the 2013 and 2014 seasons despite the fact that WVU was in the Big-12 in those years as well. You include our 2nd and 1st place finishes in CUSA for those years and you suddenly see that we have an average placement of 4.5 out of 13.5 while WVU placed 5.33 out of 10. We also has one outlier year (2016) that greatly dropped our average placement while WVU has been consistently in the middle of the pack. Using central mean, MU has a placement of 3.92 out of 13.5 from 2013-2018, while WVU has a placement of 5.25 out of 10. WVU have 1 Top-3 finish while we have 4. I'm not saying we are a better program than WVU, as we play at different levels, but we have been more successful in CUSA than they have been in the Big-12.

I used the last four years for two reasons. First, because that is the normal length of a player's career. Second, 2015 was the start of the new C-USA with the addition of Charlotte which Marshall plays every year. Hell, I even said "over the last four years" numerous times in my analysis.

Again, over the last four years, wvu has fared better in the Big 12 than Marshall has in C-USA. If wvu is a "field filler" for the Big 12, then Marshall has been a field filler over the last four years for C-USA.

Hell, if you truly want to see the histories of Marshall/C-USA and wvu/Big 12, you would be arguing to start Marshall's analysis in 2005. We both know why you hand-selected to start in 2013. My selection wasn't rooted in any manipulation of numbers, but rather, in logic. It's the same method I used for my claim to tell recruits "Come to Marshall, and you have an 11% chance of winning a conference championship during your four year career." It was based on a normal four year career and the most recent changes to the C-USA teams.

I used the last four years for two reasons. First, because that is the normal length of a player's career. Second, 2015 was the start of the new C-USA with the addition of Charlotte which Marshall plays every year. Hell, I even said "over the last four years" numerous times in my analysis.

Again, over the last four years, wvu has fared better in the Big 12 than Marshall has in C-USA. If wvu is a "field filler" for the Big 12, then Marshall has been a field filler over the last four years for C-USA.

Hell, if you truly want to see the histories of Marshall/C-USA and wvu/Big 12, you would be arguing to start Marshall's analysis in 2005. We both know why you hand-selected to start in 2013. My selection wasn't rooted in any manipulation of numbers, but rather, in logic. It's the same method I used for my claim to tell recruits "Come to Marshall, and you have an 11% chance of winning a conference championship during your four year career." It was based on a normal four year career and the most recent changes to the C-USA teams.
Stop you are making to much sense. By the way the phrase “field filler” is stock car racing lingo. Sammy uses this term and other BS in his arsenal of posting and baiting the site.

I think we were picked to win the East because we beat FIU at their place last year, and everyone else in our division is awful. I would not take that designation and assume it means we're going to be good this year, especially not against teams outside our conference.

Reactions: 31Herd55
I think we were picked to win the East because we beat FIU at their place last year, and everyone else in our division is awful. I would not take that designation and assume it means we're going to be good this year, especially not against teams outside our conference.
Actually, FAU should be a challenge to win the division...They have brought in some good talent & some
questionable characters...a lot will depend on how well Kiffin can corral his crazies.

ESPN's rating of all 130 D-1 coaches has both Kiffin & Davis ahead of Doc.

Last year, I watched a Division I football coach go for it on 4th and 1 from inside his own 13, down only 10 points in the 3rd Quarter. There are people I've played John Madden against that I would put ahead of Lane Kiffin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT