ADVERTISEMENT

FOX Sports and the US Open

TheGreenhouseEffect

Silver Buffalo
Aug 17, 2012
SilverCometTrail
Many Herd Fans have felt because CUSA signed w FOX and not ESPN we've lost possible market expansion. As I've watched the US Open this week I think it's safe to say FOX is here to stay. Greg Norman has simply been outstanding as an analyst, what a hidden jewel he was. The use of the drone has likewise been awesome. I wonder are drones soon to come for every college football game? Better than the wired cams we've seen in the past and much less invasive.

Bottom line I doubt we get the 100 million Sam predicted as a conference, but if we can get half that, the deal with FOX will have been a good one.

Pretty much everything I've heard about Fox's coverage of the U.S. Open has been resoundingly negative. In fact it's not really clear which is the story here, the terrible course conditions or the terrible coverage. I think they've done a terrible job covering the open. But as a herd fan I hope they Stick around...

Pretty much everything I've heard about Fox's coverage of the U.S. Open has been resoundingly negative. In fact it's not really clear which is the story here, the terrible course conditions or the terrible coverage. I think they've done a terrible job covering the open. But as a herd fan I hope they Stick around...

Use of the drone, shot tracer, etc were great, but they just did a poor job overall with the tournament, they missed a lot of key shots, they did a poor job tracking the ball with the camera, Joe Buck is absolutely awful, etc.

Norman was the only good one out of all the on air mikes. The drone and tracer were good additions. Fox still has a long way to go if it wants to trump CBS, or NBC for that matter, in golf coverage. They can have Chambers Bay, just don't see the appeal.

Reactions: tradebait
Unlike most tournaments I've watched over the years, I actually found myself wanting to see more golfers being interviewed. That chick was smoking hot.

I heard it was also the first time FOX has covered golf like this? I liked the drone, hope they can get some sort of exclusive right to that so only Fox can use it.
Also, there are roughly 31 sports networks in the country...and Fox is among one of the top...not necessarily THE top, but they do a good job. Fox is someone who takes risks in their broadcasting, either good or bad but they're willing to try new stuff and I think they can only get better.

Interesting comments. IMO I think they easily out did NBC in their first ever attempt at golf. To me CBS is the gold standard and with that crew I do think they will remain number 1. I've never felt ESPNs coverage was that great either. The shark displayed great depth of the game and seemed like a old pro to me.

I do think they missed some shots, but I also think some of that was due to that course being such a bizarre layout camera placement was probably difficult.

That's was the golfers stance. The commentators can't make that call. Here's the thing a U.S.Open course is supposed to punch you in the face, this course did just that. Our perfect fairways and greens pga golfers didn't like hitting off crap the average golfer puts up with every day. The proof to me is the same 21 year old that won the masters won the us open, and so were the greens bad at Augusta too? Me thinks not. Me thinks some PGA level golfers got whacked hard and went sissy about the greens.

Fact: I love Fox Network.

Fact: Fox's coverage of the US Open was awful.

Fact: The greens at the US Open were worse than Fox's coverage.

LMAO! Well learn to putt crappy greens! Tell me Dustin Johnson's 3 putt was a result of bad greens !!!! Hey, DJ need a lil bump ?!?!?

The shark was flat out brilliant. Much better than Johnny Millers smug , God you suck, no wonder I won so many tourneys back in my prime.

Anyhow the addition of mega hot women post tourney interview is completely inappropriate for a gentlemans game like golf , but I doubt any of us will complain!

71 days till season opener !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT