ADVERTISEMENT

Future OOC Scheduling

RedParallax

Bronze Buffalo
Nov 12, 2008
So I was taking a look at our upcoming OOC schedules and wondered if anyone has heard any fun rumors about potential additions? It seems offseason is when these tend to pick up a bit more. Here is our current OOC schedule:
Z5nadGs.jpg

I have a few programs that I'd like to see on our schedule going forward. Please note these are not based on any fact or rumor, but just personal preferences to see us play regional mid-tier P5 programs and upper tier G5 programs. The top 4 are ones I'd really like to see. Beyond that, I'm just looking at 1) regional options that would make a home-and-home a solid option for fan travel or 2) upper tier G5 programs:
  1. Ohio: Current games scheduled don't allow for games vs Ohio in 2016 or 2017, but it would allow continuation in 2021 and onward. I'd like to keep Ohio on the schedule.
  2. Louisville: It would be feasible to schedule Louisville in 2017 onward, but with Petrino at HC, this may change their scheduling strategy going forward.
  3. Virginia Tech: VT's schedule is absolutely jam packed through 2025, with one game being available in 2022. The only problem is that we have Navy scheduled for the only date they have open, so games vs VT won't be likely for the next decade.
  4. Cincinnati: Feasible to schedule them for 2017, and 2021 onward.
  5. Pittsburgh: Feasible to schedule them for 2017 onward, with the obvious exception of 2020 since they're already on the schedule.
  6. Virginia: Feasible to schedule them for 2018 onward.
  7. Wake Forest: Wake is also very packed for their OOC's, with no game availability until 2022.
  8. North Carolina: Feasible to schedule them for 2017 onward, except for the 2020 season.
  9. Duke: Feasible to schedule them for 2019 onward.
  10. UCF: Feasible to schedule them for 2016, then 2018 onward.
  11. Boise State: Not feasible to schedule Boise State until 2022.
Anyone have any preferences for programs we'd like to see Marshall play in the future?

I'm all for keeping OHIO on the schedule. That is the only MAC team I care to play though.

Last edited:
I'm all for keeping OHIO on the schedule. That is he only MAC team I care to play though.

I would completely agree. If we can't get Ohio on the schedule for a particular season, I'd be fine with having a MAC program on there, though. 2 MAC programs in one season shouldn't happen anymore.

Reactions: Mike Gwinn
ASSUMING the current status quo, which is we are in a CUSA with the current members or similar; WVU will not play us; UK remains in the SEC and thus would have no reason to add us to that already impossible schedule; and we remain unable to sell every single seat every single game, then:

- Ohio, H&H.
- No H&Hs with any other MACers.
- "Power 5" schools that are regional and have a fanbase that will travel. H&H or 2 for 1 or BIG $$ for single aways. Single aways for BIG$$ ONLY against the truly top contending teams, not bottom teams in those confs.
- NOTHING considered but H&H versus non Power 5, including the delusional AAC.
- Leverage MU away games in places the WV and MU Appalachian diaspora live. DC area, Piedmont NC, Atlanta, Florida.

Looks like we could easily take a 1 and done type of game in 2016 against a big time opponent.

I would rather us get a top tier G5 program in that spot. We've already got a solid program in Louisville and Pitt may be on the upside with Narduzzi in year 2 as HC at that point.

Akron, Louisville, Pitt, and UCF (for example) would be awesome.

I'm alright with keeping Ohio, as it's a legitimate rivalry. Pitt and Cincy make great sense, as well. A school in Virginia or Florida for recruiting purposes wouldn't hurt either.

I hear a nice one and one will be released with in the next month.

I didn't know about anything being released, but I have heard about a nice one and done coming as well. I'm not what I consider "in the know." Surprised no one else has head this.

Didn't Doc actually make a public comment about potentially doing a 1-done in 2016. Pretty sure he said that last year or year before.

Ohio for sure. Really I would like us to play 1-2 P5 schools yearly. Play one FCS.Most of the regional schools avoid us. Would love to schedule more schools like Purdue, Indiana or Illinois. Maybe a Minn. NC State or UVA, Pitt, Syracuse or BC.

Ohio for sure. Really I would like us to play 1-2 P5 schools yearly. Play one FCS.Most of the regional schools avoid us. Would love to schedule more schools like Purdue, Indiana or Illinois. Maybe a Minn. NC State or UVA, Pitt, Syracuse or BC.

IMO, playing FCS schools should only be done as a last resort. We can play any G5 program instead.

For the 2016 spot, I'd like to see a top tier G5 team - especially one of the former CUSA teams, as a semi-rivalry game. In general, a good P5, a mediocre P5, a top tier G5, and a rivalry game every year would be great.

Reactions: angelo54
For the 2016 spot, I'd like to see a top tier G5 team - especially one of the former CUSA teams, as a semi-rivalry game. In general, a good P5, a mediocre P5, a top tier G5, and a rivalry game every year would be great.
I think that would be great except we would have to sell our soul to the devil to schedule 3 P5 schools IMO.

Looks like we have openings in 7 of the next 8 seasons, so Hamrick has plenty of work to do. I imagine if he does schedule a "one and done" with a "major" major in future season, he will probably try and balance it the same year with a "buy" game, of necessity no doubt with a FCS school. I believe his or MU's "policy" is that we have to had a minimum of 6 home games for $$$$$ reasons. Just hope any one and done games he secures are with schools within reasonable distance, UK, Tenn, OSU, UVA, VA Tech, etc., and that MU will get a reasonable chunk of tix. As for G5 opponents, I don't see any mad dash by former CUSA schools to schedule us, nor the same for the American Conference teams. Other than ECU, don't believe schools like Memphis, Tulane, UCF, have much interest at all in playing us, and don't believe it would be feasible to play a series with MT. West teams, given the distance and cost, other than Boise, perhaps. That said, I look for more series with MAC schools, and possibly with current Sunbelt schools we have a history with, Appy State, or GA Southern, to show up in the next 7 to 10 seasons. Just hope that any FCS schools we schedule are not more of the "dogs" we have seen the last few years!!

We need to rotate a western team yearly IMO, Boise State, Colorado State, Utah State and Wyoming would be perfect to schedule. One team from the AAC rotated yearly out of Cinci, UCF, Navy, ECU.

Ohio
WVU
ECU
Utah State

Ohio
Pitt
Cinci
Boise

Ohio
WVU
Wyoming
UCF

Hamrick has to sell it to the fans and media. He has to be over the top positive with these announcements, that's the nature of the beast. Was it a good get, certainly and I am glad we have them on the schedule; but did it warrant the tone of his tweet and text, no.

Reactions: IslandHerd1
Hamrick has to sell it to the fans and media. He has to be over the top positive with these announcements, that's the nature of the beast. Was it a good get, certainly and I am glad we have them on the schedule; but did it warrant the tone of his tweet and text, no.

Exactly.

I suppose some of you have never heard of "coach speak". It apllies to the AD as well, you have to say those type of things. And any acc team we get to come here is a big get! Did you think he was going to say, we signed an average acc team! Come on!

Last edited:
there was a rumor for some time that the 1 and done was at Auburn. didn't Doc even let it slip a while back?

there was a rumor for some time that the 1 and done was at Auburn. didn't Doc even let it slip a while back?

I believe many on the board heard the slip, that'd be great as a one/done game.

Think that we may not be in the running for that game though as I just saw Georgia Southern is who they picked up for 2017.

I suppose some of you have never heard of "coach speak". It apllies to the AD as well, you have to say those type of things. And any acc team we get to come here is a big get! Did you think he was going to say, we signed an average acc team! Come on!

Man some of you just hear what you want to hear, nobody said it was not a good pick up on the schedule, it just DID NOT WARRANT THE HOOPLAH. We all understand his job, but to announce NC State as if we were playing Oklahoma was.......disappointing.

We all want to play the best, be the best, otherwise we would still be I-AA.

For those that say scheduling for MU is tough, and all the excuses as to what we have ended up with, lets take a look at our peers:

Utah just scheduled a HOME AND HOME with Baylor.

FAU picked up one and dones AT Illinois and at Oklahoma.

WKU signed a 3 year 2-1 series with Indiana, Pitt and NC State are more exciting than that by a mile.

Cincinatti scheduled a home and home with UCLA.

ECU has a 5-5 home and home deal with VT, a trip to Florida next season a trip to South Carolina in 2016 and a series with BYU.

Memphis, the sh*t squad usually at the bottom of the crud in CUSA has a home and home with Ole Miss, they get the Rebels at home this coming season. They have UCLA at home down the road and games with Kansas and Missouri, Mizzou plays at Memphis in the deal. TWO SEC TEAMS AT HOME.

That is just a small sample but it clearly shows that plenty of our peers are capable of doing what we have excuses for not being able to do. Don't want to play us? Ehhh, not all of the P5 has some slant against playing at MU. Cut the sh*t already.

I think scheduling is off to a great start and we have a solid base of teams that may be top 25 by the time we play them, but we also need to add bigger games and names, something that our peers are able to do.

AND the Ohio game needs to be every year with ZERO gaps to maintain the momentum that rivalry has picked back up. Tour de MAC needs to stop, stick to OHIO and fill in the missing dates we don't play them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT