ADVERTISEMENT

Future OOC Scheduling

Okay, to the fool who said "our peers"

Allow me to enlighten you.

The only thing we have in common with anyone else you mentioned is merely we're in the same G-5...
Regions of our peers have FAR more HS prospects worthy for bigger schools to make a recruiting presence in.
That's why FAU and FIU are so sought after, it's not because of program history, it's because of their location, in the heart of the best HS football in America.
Same with just about anyone you mentioned, that school is in a state where HS football is big, and some are in some very good recruiting areas.
WV as a HS football state, really sucks. The one kid who went to UNC from GWHS...he's pretty good, but to compare him to others, no school would feel its worthy to visit Marshall of even wvu for a game. Hell, why else is wvu playing their OOC schedule games AT NEUTRAL SITES?!

WV as a state, sucks big time for everything. No major city, no major media market, and no HS football prospects worth a damn for a big name school. Marshall has winning, which is far above, what several peers could say, that seems to matter most, so we are STILL valuable.

NCState and Pitt, are serious upgrades from what was scheduled before. Hamrick is selling this the way he should, "get excited, a P-5 school is coming to play us!!" He has to do it (as one said, it's coachspeak). If he doesn't, he deflates the fun out of the game.

WV as a HS football state, really sucks. The one kid who went to UNC from GWHS...he's pretty good, but to compare him to others, no school would feel its worthy to visit Marshall of even wvu for a game. Hell, why else is wvu playing their OOC schedule games AT NEUTRAL SITES?!
Why is WVU playing at neutral sites? Because they make tons of money to do so! Those games are more profitable than second-tier bowl games. It has nothing to do with HS football. Nothing. And you make it sound like WVU plays no P5 schools except at neutral sites. WVU has home/away deals (1-1) with Virginia Tech, Penn State, NC State, Maryland, and Missouri all within the next 10 seasons. In the same timeframe, WVU has 3 neutral site games (BYU and Virginia Tech in DC and Tennessee in Charlotte).

Reactions: IslandHerd1
Why is WVU playing at neutral sites? Because they make tons of money to do so! Those games are more profitable than second-tier bowl games. It has nothing to do with HS football. Nothing. And you make it sound like WVU plays no P5 schools except at neutral sites. WVU has home/away deals (1-1) with Virginia Tech, Penn State, NC State, Maryland, and Missouri all within the next 10 seasons. In the same timeframe, WVU has 3 neutral site games (BYU and Virginia Tech in DC and Tennessee in Charlotte).

Jeepers has that laid out perfect, and although I must be a "fool" it is safe to assume that those neutral site games are because of.................drum roll.................alumni in those areas - -Charlotte/DC.

Jeepers, you were right, it was Utah, I thought I saw aggies in the headline, my mistake.

Struck, it is sad that some of the people in WV have the mindset you do. WV sucks, can't change nothing, can't do nothing attitude. Pretty sad outlook.

However, you are wrong.

West Virginia is beautiful, it's people resilient and strong, and the kindest people I've ever met reside there. TV market size and population rankings mean what? Not a damn thing.

Reactions: Jeepers Creepers
A couple of points....

If MU is going to do a 1-and-done it will be in 2017 and not in 2016. Hamrick and Doc are not going to overload a team that should be pretty darn good in 2016 with another "Major" program for a money game when we already play Louisville and Pitt that year. The 2016 hole will be a bad G5 as part of a 1-for-1 (maybe at App State in 2016, home in 2018) or an FCS team (one time only, which would give us 7 home games).

In 2017, we can and I think will add a 1-and-done with a "major" team. Could it be Notre Dame? Unlikely, but you never know. I have heard Auburn and Texas A/M both thrown out as possibilities as well. That would give us NC State and another major school both on the road.

As far as 2018 and beyond, who knows. AD's change, coaches change, conferences change. I would like to see us keep playing Pitt and maybe add another G5 regional home-and-home like Indiana, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, etc. to go along with the 1-and-dones and paycheck road games.

I've already written out the cost of merely sending the team somewhere far...DC is 6 hours away, meaning you'll be flying. There are virtually NO hotels cheap there as well, you're talking flying and lodging 100+ people for a night.
YOu also rely on alumni even giving a crap about the team. You will be guaranteed NOT to sell out the game.
You'll be offered probably around $2 million for the neutral site game, put you're already taking chunks out for ticket purchases, travel, and other expenses...
Versus staying put, selling out the stadium, and your local economy getting a push from the out-of-towners.

Jeepers has that laid out perfect, and although I must be a "fool" it is safe to assume that those neutral site games are because of.................drum roll.................alumni in those areas - -Charlotte/DC.

Jeepers, you were right, it was Utah, I thought I saw aggies in the headline, my mistake.

Struck, it is sad that some of the people in WV have the mindset you do. WV sucks, can't change nothing, can't do nothing attitude. Pretty sad outlook.

However, you are wrong.

West Virginia is beautiful, it's people resilient and strong, and the kindest people I've ever met reside there. TV market size and population rankings mean what? Not a damn thing.

West Virginia is beautiful...and its people are dumb and uneducated. How else do you explain them allowing the idiots in the state legislature?

WV CAN'T change anything...it hasn't for its existence. The money mined from coal isn't going to the state, hence why there's hardly anything here...and even your "resilient WVians" are leaving because even THEY know, there's no opportunity here.
It's the cold, bitter mindset of the natives who prefer isolationism to economic growth...only problem is, that mindset worked 100 years ago, not today.

The WV legislature is in charge of 2 things...jack and sh*t...and Jack left town.

Reactions: angelo54
I've already written out the cost of merely sending the team somewhere far...DC is 6 hours away, meaning you'll be flying. There are virtually NO hotels cheap there as well, you're talking flying and lodging 100+ people for a night.
YOu also rely on alumni even giving a crap about the team. You will be guaranteed NOT to sell out the game.
You'll be offered probably around $2 million for the neutral site game, put you're already taking chunks out for ticket purchases, travel, and other expenses...
Versus staying put, selling out the stadium, and your local economy getting a push from the out-of-towners.
Morgantown is 3.5 hrs from DC; not 6. WVU will not be flying. WVU stays in a hotel before every game -- home or away. Unlike a home game or a bowl game, WVU is not responsible for buying/selling tickets to the neutral site games. Your point about attendance is moot. WVU will profit more from any of these neutral site games than Marshall has profited from any bowl game in its history.

Morgantown is 3.5 hrs from DC; not 6. WVU will not be flying. WVU stays in a hotel before every game -- home or away. Unlike a home game or a bowl game, WVU is not responsible for buying/selling tickets to the neutral site games. Your point about attendance is moot. WVU will profit more from any of these neutral site games than Marshall has profited from any bowl game in its history.
When promoters offered Marshall $2 million to play Va Tech in DC, Mike Hamrick was quick to say NO. He stated that it was not fair to Herd fans, the Huntington community and businesses to not let them enjoy a top 25 team coming to Huntington. I applauded Mike for making that decision. Loyalty is MUCH more important than money. Marshall asks local business to give and give. It is only fair that Marshal gave back.

Ive always preached that our OOC should be as follows

Ohio and no other MAC opponent
A winning G5 program from either the AAC or MW
1 regional winnable P5 opponent
A P5 opponent that we can challenge ourselves against

Reactions: connsinfonia

That would be great.

That would be great.

There would be no room to question us. We maintain a long standing regional rivalry, re-establish games against former CUSA members or expand our brand out west. Play against one of the many P5 programs within 7 hours radius of the school that we can compete against and possibly win. And possibly play a 1 and done against a Top rate P5 program

There would be no room to question us. We maintain a long standing regional rivalry, re-establish games against former CUSA members or expand our brand out west. Play against one of the many P5 programs within 7 hours radius of the school that we can compete against and possibly win. And possibly play a 1 and done against a Top rate P5 program
I think obtaining that schedule on a yearly basis is easier said than done, but it should at least be the goal.

When promoters offered Marshall $2 million to play Va Tech in DC, Mike Hamrick was quick to say NO. He stated that it was not fair to Herd fans, the Huntington community and businesses to not let them enjoy a top 25 team coming to Huntington. I applauded Mike for making that decision. Loyalty is MUCH more important than money. Marshall asks local business to give and give. It is only fair that Marshal gave back.
If I recall correctly, Hamrick had the choice of hosting Va Tech, or moving the game to DC for a $2 million paycheck. I believe he made the right decision to keep the home date. In WVU's case, the neutral site game is part of a 3-game series (neutral-home-away), so neither team has to give up a home date to play the game in DC, and both teams get a large paycheck (and DC is an easy drive from both Morgantown and Blacksburg).

Reactions: Mike Gwinn
If I recall correctly, Hamrick had the choice of hosting Va Tech, or moving the game to DC for a $2 million paycheck. I believe he made the right decision to keep the home date. In WVU's case, the neutral site game is part of a 3-game series (neutral-home-away), so neither team has to give up a home date to play the game in DC, and both teams get a large paycheck (and DC is an easy drive from both Morgantown and Blacksburg).

Cool story, who gives a ****

Reactions: IslandHerd1

That's fine as long as you're ok with 5 home games every other or every third year. But those 'challenge' opponents are going to be tough to find at 2-1s, let alone 1-1s, so without an FCS team giving us free home games we're going to be stuck with 5 home games.

My bad on the distance. It's about that long from Huntington.
Hotels in morganhole vs. costly ones in MD...you're still spending money. Also, MD and VT have far and away more alumni in their areas, they will outsell wvu in ticket sales. wvu's probably best attendance is going to be 10-15,000 the rest will be MD fans, whomever truly cares about these two teams playing is beyond me. As for the bowl games? wvu lost money in their bowl, Marshall actually made money since C-USA pools money together to cover bowl teams' travel costs and expenditures.

Looks like we could easily take a 1 and done type of game in 2016 against a big time opponent.

This had been rumored as a big possibility a few months ago with one of the target schools being Auburn.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT