ADVERTISEMENT

Good or bad for WV Prep Football?

Agree. WV schools are behind the 8 ball on this. Yes, there are camps, "open fields", etc. But it doesn't equal being with your coaches and teammates constantly. FL schools play and practice year round, as do many states.
I would allow WV schools to practice year round with the exception of possibly a two week dead period in July to rest and heal up. jmo.

Let the kids be kids and students. I'm not so sure it will slow development of players. IF the kid is good enough to play at the D1 level, he will do what is necessary to be ready for that. More than 90% of the HS kids will never play another game after their HS graduation. Let them enjoy being students,

Reactions: riflearm2
Let the kids be kids and students. I'm not so sure it will slow development of players. IF the kid is good enough to play at the D1 level, he will do what is necessary to be ready for that. More than 90% of the HS kids will never play another game after their HS graduation. Let them enjoy being students,

Whats let kids be kids?? That attitude is why WV and states that don't allow year round coaching(NY is another one) but out so much fewer players then states of similar size that do allow year round coaching

WV is too small and too broke to really gain anybground on development. Throw in bitter cold winters and its even more difficult.
Florida can afford poor facilities and still develop great players due to it hardly ever having snow.
Ohio and PA can afford snow and winter because they have money to get good coaching and training to increase development in HS players.
Texas has a ton of money.
WV has neither of anything listed.

WV is too small and too broke to really gain anybground on development. Throw in bitter cold winters and its even more difficult.
Florida can afford poor facilities and still develop great players due to it hardly ever having snow.
Ohio and PA can afford snow and winter because they have money to get good coaching and training to increase development in HS players.
Texas has a ton of money.
WV has neither of anything listed.

Sounds like excuses to be honest

WV could allow 24/7/365 coaching and it still wouldn't be a blip on the talent radar.

now a genetics and steroid policy might actually make a difference...

WV could allow 24/7/365 coaching and it still wouldn't be a blip on the talent radar.

now a genetics and steroid policy might actually make a difference...

Or more people.

WV puts out a decent amount of D1 talent when you consider all the things going against us as a state.

Declining population as well as crappy rules such as these. Talent/athletically we have it. We just don't get to develop our players for the college game like a lot of other states.

So if we have a great recruiting class, should Doc allow them to be kids? Enjoy college life?

I mean, if they have the genetics they have the genetics, right?

Open season year round basically forces kids to specialize or choose one sport. It kills your minor sports, like wrestling, and to some extent baseball and basketball. Forcing kids to do one sport just leads to burn out and overuse injuries.

Reactions: flairforherd
Who is forcing??? If the kids want to play other sports they can, nobody is stopping them. And my rebuttal would be what about the kids that love football and want to play and train all year?? Is it fair to them. Like I said that sounds like an excuse

Who is forcing??? If the kids want to play other sports they can, nobody is stopping them. And my rebuttal would be what about the kids that love football and want to play and train all year?? Is it fair to them. Like I said that sounds like an excuse
Kids that want to train all year can do so, no one is stopping them.

As pointed out, WV does not have the money or facilities to do this year round. The other thing it doesn't have is the population. Bigger states can get away with this because there are other kids to play other sports. In WV, if you had year round football, you wouldn't have anough kids left to field teams in other sports at many of the smaller schools. Not all of them, but enough to put a big dent in things.

who said anything about practice. It would probably be something similar to off season training like weight lifting and field work like Skill development and conditioning. And you don't need top notch facilities to work out. That's an excuse

I've seen it happen. South Carolina went to year round open season and football coaches take advantage and hold it against kids for wanting to do other sports and missing football workouts. Football coaches can be idiots and think that they are more important than everyone else.

Reactions: pj(HN)
Ive also seen South Carolina recruiting starting to get much better over the last few years. More kids including from the rural areas are getting D1A scholarships

Historically sc produces about 35 or so d1 recruits a year. That number is pretty stable.

Agree. WV schools are behind the 8 ball on this. Yes, there are camps, "open fields", etc. But it doesn't equal being with your coaches and teammates constantly. FL schools play and practice year round, as do many states.
I would allow WV schools to practice year round with the exception of possibly a two week dead period in July to rest and heal up. jmo.
Plus add the fact that they get a full week of football practice in before school starts. It was not too long ago that the first football game was in the books before school started.

Florida has a lot of D1 football players. The main reason is not because they are playing football all year.

You can't teach genetics.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Florida has a lot of D1 football players. The main reason is not because they are playing football all year.

You can't teach genetics.

You can't compare Florida to West Virginia. But you can compare WV to Louisiana, Arkansas, and Kentucky. Similar sized states

You can't compare Florida to West Virginia. But you can compare WV to Louisiana, Arkansas, and Kentucky. Similar sized states
No better comparisons based on population would be Nebraska and Idaho. La has 3 million more people Arkansas has 1 million more and Kentucky has about 2.5 million more people.

Many coaches would abuse it and this ends up forcing kids to pick a sport. Also, you're assuming more time spent with the high school coach is a good thing. There's a lot of bad coaches out there which would not help the kids on their development.

Don't most of the small schools have coaches that coach multiple sports??
You'll sometimes see, for example, the basketball coach may also coach track, but in most cases, you have separate coaches for the three major sports - football, basketball, and baseball. Sometimes, you may see a coach of one major sport assist another head coach with his sport. Hell, our basketball coach back in high school, who was also the track coach, forced all the hoops players to run track. Outside of one or two kids, nobody wanted to run track, so some even joined the men's tennis team to avoid doing so, or faked injuries.

Honestly who would skip out on Track seriously??
Someone exactly like me. 5'9", white. too slow to be a sprinter, too short to be a decent hurdler or high jumper, and not tall and stick like to be a top notch long distance runner. In lieu of track, and having to run for two hours after school, I made myself a list of about 12,483 other things I found more attractive.

Yea but it is all worth it when you see all of the honeys at track meets. Also our football coach was the sprinters coach in HS so pretty much we would lift in the morning before school and have track practice after school

You'll sometimes see, for example, the basketball coach may also coach track, but in most cases, you have separate coaches for the three major sports - football, basketball, and baseball. Sometimes, you may see a coach of one major sport assist another head coach with his sport. Hell, our basketball coach back in high school, who was also the track coach, forced all the hoops players to run track. Outside of one or two kids, nobody wanted to run track, so some even joined the men's tennis team to avoid doing so, or faked injuries.
When I was in HS, we had the same head coach for football, basketball and baseball. Now they have different basketball coach.

Ok Fever, you have a son that plays Football and Lacrosse. Is good at football but Great at lacrosse, but football is king and if your son does not attend every football practice or event he is black balled because he also wants to attend some lacrosse practices. You are delusional if you don't think the minor sports will suffer. This already happens with the 3 week practice period in WV.. Year round coaching goes In and kids will have to choose and the 2 big winners will be footbal and basketball with all others being afree thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT