ADVERTISEMENT

HD: Landon rips Huff and the football program

Attendance has been declining for some time.
The seating policy took some away, less disposable income, boring football, the ability to watch every game from home, aging and shrinking fan base - all have contributed.
Chucks just pissed this isn't the good ole boy days.
That's why he never says anything bad about DD. We could go 0-32 in b'ball and Chuck wouldn't mind one bit as long as DD is HC.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Hang'em up Chuck. Out of all the changes that could have been mentioned in the article for turning the program around, he focuses on media access at practice??? That is what "ties" the football program to the community?

stephen%2Bcolbert%2Breport%2Btriple%2Bfacepalm%2Bgif.gif

Chuck should have retired 10 years ago.
The days of a sports opinion writer holding sway over a sizable share of the fan base ended with the advent of the internet, filled with podcasts, blogs & 24/7 sports opinion shows featuring fans calling in to throw their 2 cents in. He doesn’t have access to the football team, so he pouts in his column.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
No reason both can't be true. We do feel that Marshall Football is a community team, and we all love to know as much, every day, about "our" team as we can. Otherwise there wouldn't be any sports boards....

That's a poorly edited "article" that also happens to be stupid. Tons of things to complain about with Marshall athletics, but most people couldn't give two shits about media access or interviews with individual players. This is just Chuck airing personal grievances.

Win championships and grow your program.. it’s that’s simple
In lieu of that, which seems really far off at this point in time, I think it would benefit Marshall to do what Chuck suggests.

What good is all the cloak and dagger really doing? Results aren't good and the connection to the fanbase via information sharing is worse.

Getting your teeth kicked in while your best player sits and watches for who knows what reason is a major turn off and thats just the latest thing.

In lieu of that, which seems really far off at this point in time, I think it would benefit Marshall to do what Chuck suggests.

What good is all the cloak and dagger really doing? Results aren't good and the connection to the fanbase via information sharing is worse.

Getting your teeth kicked in while your best player sits and watches for who knows what reason is a major turn off and thats just the latest thing.

The cloak and dagger is masking that Huff doesn't know what he's doing...more than likely, anyone who legitimately covers sports and knows what to look for, are going to find several flaws in the program.
Thus, creating rumors, speculation, etc.

We may have seen only MU getting their teeth kicked in and sitting Ali, but if access to practices were available, we would have all known it was already happening.

Attendance has been declining for some time.
The seating policy took some away, less disposable income, boring football, the ability to watch every game from home, aging and shrinking fan base - all have contributed.
Chucks just pissed this isn't the good ole boy days.
That's why he never says anything bad about DD. We could go 0-32 in b'ball and Chuck wouldn't mind one bit as long as DD is HC.

It wouldn't shock me if Chuck went to Huff's office the first day, with gold sunglasses on, a chain, and a gold watch masked to look like a Rolex but it's Michael Kors, saying who he is and acting like the local sports writer big shot...or somehow trying to lay down some sort of flex, "Hey, you know that Rand U episode on ESPN? I was in that..."
Basically being an arrogant di*k about his long career of covering MU sports and Huff was like, "the hell is this clown?" and restricted media access.

It wouldn't shock me if Chuck went to Huff's office the first day, with gold sunglasses on, a chain, and a gold watch masked to look like a Rolex but it's Michael Kors, saying who he is and acting like the local sports writer big shot...or somehow trying to lay down some sort of flex, "Hey, you know that Rand U episode on ESPN? I was in that..."
Basically being an arrogant di*k about his long career of covering MU sports and Huff was like, "the hell is this clown?" and restricted media access.
Yep. The crazy man wrote the same thing about Doc in Dec. of '20 I think. Chuck being Chuck. ugh!

Chuck should have retired 10 years ago.
The days of a sports opinion writer holding sway over a sizable share of the fan base ended with the advent of the internet, filled with podcasts, blogs & 24/7 sports opinion shows featuring fans calling in to throw their 2 cents in. He doesn’t have access to the football team, so he pouts in his column.
Correct, just look at the circulation of the Huntington and Charleston newspapers. Newspapers have been dying for years (older posters will remember when there were afternoon papers). Most of the better columnists have left the papers. Chuck is no Ernie. It is what it is.

Correct, just look at the circulation of the Huntington and Charleston newspapers. Newspapers have been dying for years (older posters will remember when there were afternoon papers). Most of the better columnists have left the papers. Chuck is no Ernie. It is what it is.
What's worse is that Chuck is no Doug Smock. Ernie is gone. HD Media had the chance to keep Doug and lay Chuck off. Doug was already covering Marshall & USPAM for the Gag-zette.

Doug writes better & asks better questions.

A few points that need made...

• Chuck definitely reads this message board. He has written multiple columns over the years that all but quoted threads on Herdnation.
• He's not wrong about media/fan availability at practice. Having that "informal" 15-20 minutes after practice for the 4-5 guys that cover your program day in and day out matters. Allowing fans to come to practice and get an autograph or snap a selfie afterwards doesn't hurt anything.
• He is wrong about laying al of his displeasure at Huff's feet. He points to how great Snyder was (despite a losing record) but doesn't mention Huff's winning record as head coach.
• Chuck gets paid to be "controversial," he's a "columnist." The fact that we are having this discussion on here means Chuck won today.

The athletic department as a whole, and Huff as a coach, have plenty of faults to be critical of. This column just seems like easy offseason filler based on the pet peeve of no longer having the same level of access he used to have.

A few points that need made...

• Chuck definitely reads this message board. He has written multiple columns over the years that all but quoted threads on Herdnation.
• He's not wrong about media/fan availability at practice. Having that "informal" 15-20 minutes after practice for the 4-5 guys that cover your program day in and day out matters. Allowing fans to come to practice and get an autograph or snap a selfie afterwards doesn't hurt anything.
• He is wrong about laying al of his displeasure at Huff's feet. He points to how great Snyder was (despite a losing record) but doesn't mention Huff's winning record as head coach.
• Chuck gets paid to be "controversial," he's a "columnist." The fact that we are having this discussion on here means Chuck won today.

The athletic department as a whole, and Huff as a coach, have plenty of faults to be critical of. This column just seems like easy offseason filler based on the pet peeve of no longer having the same level of access he used to have.
I wouldn’t have know he wrote it if it wasn’t for someone posting it here, and still yet I didn’t read it.. no reason to since it’s the same stuff he always writes..

Again win championships grow your program, I would mind seeing some recruiting violations again… good ole days

It is hard to argue with Chuck - Huff hasn’t made any positive progress since he started.

Last edited:
Yep. The crazy man wrote the same thing about Doc in Dec. of '20 I think. Chuck being Chuck. ugh!

Everyone was fine with it.
Everyone was fine with the BS he wrote about Doc, of which not only was a majority of it not true, but it was logistically impossible.
How Chuck even still has a job is beyond me.

It is hard to argue that Huff hasn’t made any positive progress since he started.
21 - 7-6, 6-6 vs. I-A, 0 wins vs. I-A teams with winning record, did not play in title game. Lost bowl game.
22 - 9-4, 7-4 vs. I-A, 2 wins vs. I-A teams with winning record, did not play in title game. Won bowl game (opponent finished 6-7).
23 - 6-7, 5-7 vs. I-A, 1 win vs. I-A team with winning record, did not play in title game. Lost bowl game.

Total - 22-17, 18-17 vs. I-A, 3 wins vs. I-A teams with winning records, zero title games appearances. 1-2 in bowls.

"Progress" ?????

What color is the sky in your world?

21 - 7-6, 6-6 vs. I-A, 0 wins vs. I-A teams with winning record, did not play in title game. Lost bowl game.
22 - 9-4, 7-4 vs. I-A, 2 wins vs. I-A teams with winning record, did not play in title game. Won bowl game (opponent finished 6-7).
23 - 6-7, 5-7 vs. I-A, 1 win vs. I-A team with winning record, did not play in title game. Lost bowl game.

Total - 22-17, 18-17 vs. I-A, 3 wins vs. I-A teams with winning records, zero title games appearances. 1-2 in bowls.

"Progress" ?????

We could compare the 3 year records of the 2 previous coaches. But that's more depressing

"Progress" ?????

No, I agree with no progress. My comment wasn’t clear.

I don't totally disagree with Landon. A lot of what he wrote has merit. Interest in the program is at its lowest since moving to the Joan. I do disagree on his argument regarding closed practices. I agree practices should be closed. Have a media time at the end to discuss things but to allow anyone to attend practices just isn't smart business these days.

Feet are not necessarily required to stand, if you have good balance. Maybe you should have went with “just use your muscles”.

But championships are required to grow your football program. Just sayin…

And your approach of program growth is the equivalent of someone saying to anyone in a combat sport, "just stand up."

And your approach of program growth is the equivalent of someone saying to anyone in a combat sport, "just stand up."
Yes I am clearly stating the obvious.. if Marshall ever wants to move the needle, close the gap, keep on keepin on, then they have to start being relevant. That relevance come with winning and championships, more then 1 every 20+ years..

I say it because that’s what we have to do, not remodel the stadium, not replace a scoreboard, not tarp bleachers, not buy more season tickets, not stop selling Stewart’s hotdogs, not letting media have or not have access to practices, but winning and winning championships.

If you don’t like to read my statement then don’t read my statement.

Reactions: ru4_mu2
Yes I am clearly stating the obvious.. if Marshall ever wants to move the needle, close the gap, keep on keepin on, then they have to start being relevant. That relevance come with winning and championships, more then 1 every 20+ years..

I say it because that’s what we have to do, not remodel the stadium, not replace a scoreboard, not tarp bleachers, not buy more season tickets, not stop selling Stewart’s hotdogs, not letting media have or not have access to practices, but winning and winning championships.

It's not that I don't like to read your statement.

It's that your statement has literally zero innovative attempts in it.
Oh wow, winning?! What a concept!
Boy, I hope nobody else thinks of that.

Until you decide to grow a brain and attempt to figure out HOW MU can win, given what it has/doesn't have, demographics, student size, alumni size, etc., you're a guy who says, "just stand up."

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

You can’t mandate success. Success is the culmination of thousands of small contributors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT