ADVERTISEMENT

Herd Baseball

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
Aaron Blair was promoted today to AAA Reno. He will also start tonight for them.

Dan Straily is also in AAA having a subpar year so far (4.25 ERA) after having started a handful of big league games last year.

On a related note, Marshall hasn't had anyone selected in the last two drafts after going six years with at least one player drafted. All except for one of those years saw multiple Marshall products selected, including an incredible eight picks in 2011.

Possibly related news....while on vacation in upstate New York last week, the news was of course all about the escaped criminals, however the Albany TV station covered a story of a "local" kid named Walker who was just drafted by the Atlanta Braves out of high school. I wasn't paying close attention so don't know all the details but it said his dad also played for Atlanta and was a scout for them now. Anyway, at the conclusion the sports announcer said that in the fall, the kid would be reporting to Huntington(which got my attention) and enrolling at Marshall. After that they went right back to the live reports by NY State Police and I didn't catch any more coverage.

Last edited:
Aaron Blair was promoted today to AAA Reno. He will also start tonight for them.

Dan Straily is also in AAA having a subpar year so far (4.25 ERA) after having started a handful of big league games last year.

On a related note, Marshall hasn't had anyone selected in the last two drafts after going six years with at least one player drafted. All except for one of those years saw multiple Marshall products selected, including an incredible eight picks in 2011.
Didn't go well for Aaron. 8 earned runs in 4 innings.

The baseball program will never do anything until they build a facility. Never. Just a losing-money program that treats its players coaches and fan unfairly. Talk about a laughing stock....making the program rent a field to play home games. Don't give me the field on Rt 2. That is a rec park. We are talking about college...not youth travel ball. Come on Hambone, get it done!!

The baseball program will never do anything until they build a facility. Never. Just a losing-money program that treats its players coaches and fan unfairly. Talk about a laughing stock....making the program rent a field to play home games. Don't give me the field on Rt 2. That is a rec park. We are talking about college...not youth travel ball. Come on Hambone, get it done!!

And get it done before I move to Huntington in 2018. I've been spoiled by college baseball down here.

I'm sure Mike would gladly accept your $10m check to help cover the costs.

I am not the AD that should do this for the program, the fans, the players and the conference. It is his duty to make sure every sport has the resources to compete in the conference, heck, just compete with WV State. They even have an on-campus facility. Really, WV State?? Concord, UC, WV Wesleyan. These schools have one, but we commute to Charleston and Beckley. Come on. Time to get it done!

I am not the AD that should do this for the program, the fans, the players and the conference. It is his duty to make sure every sport has the resources to compete in the conference, heck, just compete with WV State. They even have an on-campus facility. Really, WV State?? Concord, UC, WV Wesleyan. These schools have one, but we commute to Charleston and Beckley. Come on. Time to get it done!

so, you want to bitch and call others out about things lacking in our athletic department, but you aren't prepared to step up and help make those things happen? as i expected...

fwiw, we have a field similar to wvsu, concord, uc, wesleyan, etc, but the deuce, nor their fields, would meet the conference's requirements of cusa to host conference games.

The fields are exactly that, not playable. That is unacceptable.

I did step up...I am an alum and a Graduate School graduate. I am a Big Green member also. Again, I think it is a responsibility of the AD to make this happen, not the people or the alumni. If the AD begins the plan, the people will do their part.

I did step up...I am an alum and a Graduate School graduate. I am a Big Green member also. Again, I think it is a responsibility of the AD to make this happen, not the people or the alumni. If the AD begins the plan, the people will do their part.

Fellows, not to worry. Don't you all know that Mayor Williams has a big plan for a baseball park in Huntington for sometime in . . . .2020?, . . . 2025? . . . 2030?. . .? Just like big time plans for major riverfront, marina development and major retail development, grocery store, etc., along Hal Greer Blvd., in ? . . .? . . ?. Marshall, and some extent Huntington, have been "talking" and "planning" a quality baseball facility oh, since Jack Cook started coaching the Herd back in the 60s. What resulted? Only the stop gap usage of such inadequate, embarrassing facilities as St. Cloud Commons and perpetual flooding, and University Heights, a little league caliber facility carved out of a hillside along route 60. Same ole, Same ole Huntington and MU!!!

Ok, you want it done right just like everyone else.

But here is a question, where s there available land close to campus that doesn't need a major environmental cleanup project PLUS an owner that is willing to sell such land to Marshall??

I always ask this question when idiots above go on and on about a baseball facility. Honestly I would be all for just dropping the program all together unless we finally have the land to build a stadium in the next 5 years

Idiots. Cool.

Are they destroying the hood on Hal Greer? Regenerate the hood. Build it. Tons of big league teams and minor league teams have done it.

Tear down some of the rat-infested frats on 5th. Take a couple blocks. Build it.

Charleston can do it, Morgantown can do it, Beckley can?

It's always an excuse. No money. No donors. No land. No clean land. Drop the sport. They suck.

I am sure, somewhere, someway it can happen.

Yes, take away a small neighborhood in a small state.

Where would they go to live now?? At least DC dumped their hoods into Maryland

Idiots. Cool.

Charleston can do it, Morgantown can do it, Beckley can?

Charleston was part of failed governor "Jackpot" Bob Wise's deal to legalize slot machines. The deal was every major town got something out of it. Charleston got the ballpark. Charleston's mayor's "life partner" is Mr. Baseball and got what he wanted. Huntington got Pullman Square. Since Pullman is doing OK, not great, but OK and the hugely city taxpayer subsidized, draw 250 per night Power are G O N E the second the mayor and his pink mafia are, who is to say that was wrong.

Morganhole was 100% state taxpayer money to further subsidize WVU's non-self-supporting athletic program. That is WVU's power. WVU demands and the pols bend over. MU doesn't have that power. Really that simple.

Beckley was some rich guy (and a WV Tech alumni) who thought his home town needed a baseball field and built one.

Huntington and MU is not in any of those situations.

So, MU under MH has built the IPF and the soccer field. Contrasted to the NOTHING built under the previous regime. NOTHING other than bad feelings. The IPF was needed more than a baseball field, and the soccer field was mostly economic development money, not MU money, bringing all of these youth soccer games into town (I hate soccer, but facts are facts) and was not exchangeable for a baseball field.

So a baseball field is going to have to wait until the MU fund raising well get refilled, having been pretty much bled dry by the IPF, or the politics align in a different way in a few years.

Blair will be okay in the long run. It takes some time to adjust when you advance to each level of baseball.

As for the ballpark, it will take some time to not only get a plan in place but to also execute it. Hamrick has said that he is committed to getting a ballpark built and I believe we all expect him to be a man of his word.

In regards to Charleston and the WV Power, Even when Jones is no longer mayor of Charleston, there will still be a minor league baseball team. It may not be the Power but a team will be playing there because the ballpark has the quality facilities and resources the MLB teams are looking for to accommodate their prospects. Also, there are only so many cities for the number of minor league teams. Maybe in the long run, it would be better if Charleston has a short season team, like the one now in Morgantown.

In regards to Charleston and the WV Power, Even when Jones is no longer mayor of Charleston, there will still be a minor league baseball team. It may not be the Power but a team will be playing there because the ballpark has the quality facilities and resources the MLB teams are looking for to accommodate their prospects. Also, there are only so many cities for the number of minor league teams. Maybe in the long run, it would be better if Charleston has a short season team, like the one now in Morgantown.

The Morganhole effort was designed to fail. To avoid critics who would point out that WV taxpayers were shelling out millions for a ballpark that would only be used by a few dozen people a few times per year, in addition to the mythological "TIF" they "love bombed" the place with all sorts of purported other uses (Fairmont State, high schools, concerts, and this rookie league dealie) as cover for it being what it actually is. In four or six years, they will quietly give up and move the pro team on to the next town.

As to Charleston, yes, you are right that the park, TODAY, is ideal for a low minor team. But that is predicated on the huge spending by the city. When Jones is gone, that spending is gone, and the Power is gone. They just cannot draw flies at the place. But, probably, you will see an Appy league team or maybe that is where the 'hole team moves after that. The way too spread out SALLY league makes it way less than desireable for many teams.

So when Mike Hamrick & the Huntington Mayor mentioned they were interested in a TIF deal similar to how Morgantown used for its projects, they are just lying and love bombing the citizens of Huntington. Got it.

So when Mike Hamrick & the Huntington Mayor mentioned they were interested in a TIF deal similar to how Morgantown used for its projects, they are just lying and love bombing the citizens of Huntington. Got it.

MH and the mayor were saying, translated, was "we want state taxpayers to build us a baseball park, like they did for WVU". So do I. The difference is WVU got one, and MU still waits. Same as always.

Well the AD did his part on the IPF. He made a plan, got the right people involved, and left it to the fans to do their part. A whopping 300 and some of us donated. Were you one of those? Did you do your part? If so, good but understand you are part of a very, very small minority when it comes to Marshall fans that will actually pony up instead of just complain.

Reactions: 19MU88
Yep. I donate to a lot of things at Marshall, but am not motivated to give to baseball, would rather just give more to football. No interest in college baseball.

Well the AD did his part on the IPF. He made a plan, got the right people involved, and left it to the fans to do their part. A whopping 300 and some of us donated. Were you one of those? Did you do your part? If so, good but understand you are part of a very, very small minority when it comes to Marshall fans that will actually pony up instead of just complain.

I was an athlete. I was a grad student. I did my part.

Edit: Removed the unneeded personal attacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a LOVER of Baseball....and HERD Baseball. Sadly, the HERD has not made the CUSA tournament in several years...I lost count. Like Rifle stated...we used to get guys drafted annually. I meet a lot of pro scouts that come to where I help coach HS Baseball---Charlotte Christian, eight players will be playing Division One baseball next season. To a scout...they said, "no minor/major talent coming/playing for Marshall."

I hope Wags can get it done...just not sure if his heart is still in it since he has "been promising recruits for YEARS----come to Huntington, a Field of Dreams will be built before you graduate." Well, a lot of guys have picked up their shingles...yet, our baseball program is still a band of commuters!

I HERD the football & basketball guys will receive a Cost of Living payment for nine months of about $275/month. Yet, baseball PARENTS keep college baseball afloat! In MOST all school too!

I recently upped my Big Green Foundation by $50 a month. I return to the level of Gold Buffalo. I just wish more of my $$$$$ could be earmarked to help build a baseball field.

I guess I will have to die before Marshall receives a nice gift {$$$$} from my estate. Sadly, I won't live to enjoy a baseball field!

Field of DREAMING in Charlotte.....

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney)

This should not be what we care more about and where we want our money to go. This is about respect for the program, the coaches and the players. And at least become compliant with the conference and not have to drive 1 hour, at minimum, to play. Joke. Complete joke.

Reactions: Elkview
This should not be what we care more about and where we want our money to go. This is about respect for the program, the coaches and the players. And at least become compliant with the conference and not have to drive 1 hour, at minimum, to play. Joke. Complete joke.
I disagree. It absolutely is about what people care about. Nobody cares about baseball, so it will be done when we get the property at the right price. If that is next year or 20 years from now, it doesn't matter. People don't care. Most people (including me) would be pissed if we sacrifice growing our football program to over pay for property to build a stadium on that nobody will care about.

If people cared much about it, it would have been done long ago. If Marshall held a gun to people's heads and told them that they'd have to come up with another $30,000,000 to build a baseball stadium (like they did with the IPF) or they would cancel the program, what do you think people would chose? You have to grow what your donors want grown or they may pull their money. It isn't right & isn't fair to the baseball players & coaches, but it is the reality. Baseball is a dying sport that requires a lot of land to play on. It is tough to secure the amount of acreage within a city to build a baseball field, let alone a stadium necessary to house everything.

We'll get it when we get it because people don't care about it.

What brought you to that conclusion?
Agree. I guess the guy hasn't watched college baseball on TV. Great crowds for the sport. And to respond to another poster don't tell me NOBODY cares about baseball. That simply is NOT true. Just because you may not, don't lump everyone into that basket.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Agree. I guess the guy hasn't watched college baseball on TV. Great crowds for the sport. And to respond to another poster don't tell me NOBODY cares about baseball. That simply is NOT true. Just because you may not, don't lump everyone into that basket.
Then get all the people who care so much together and send your thousands of emails to Mike and tell him how badly the University needs a baseball stadium. Tell him about the amount of money we're missing out on because we have no on campus baseball stadium to sell out during the months of March & April when we have such spectacular weather here in WV.

Then get all the people who care so much together and send your thousands of emails to Mike and tell him how badly the University needs a baseball stadium. Tell him about the amount of money we're missing out on because we have no on campus baseball stadium to sell out during the months of March & April when we have such spectacular weather here in WV.

Every couple of years, I make a post showing college baseball programs with similar weather in similar conferences that draw good crowds.

UVA struggled drawing anyone to come to their games even in the ACC a decade ago. They invested in a beautiful campus stadium and draw thousands every game. The stadium led to crowds, the crowds led to talent, and they are now regulars not just in regionals, not just in super regionals, but in the college World Series.

But, besides all of that . . . what has led you to believe that baseball in general is a dying sport?

Every couple of years, I make a post showing college baseball programs with similar weather in similar conferences that draw good crowds.

UVA struggled drawing anyone to come to their games even in the ACC a decade ago. They invested in a beautiful campus stadium and draw thousands every game. The stadium led to crowds, the crowds led to talent, and they are now regulars not just in regionals, not just in super regionals, but in the college World Series.

But, besides all of that . . . what has led you to believe that baseball in general is a dying sport?
Mostly the admission by sports writers/people in baseball...and my general opinion. World Series numbers keep declining, youth interest is still a huge problem, & football and basketball off season interest keep expanding into baseball's summer wheelhouse.

Im not doubting that pumping money into baseball would be nice. It would be great! Hell, I played baseball my whole life. If Marshall had money like UVA, I wouldn't mind having shiny trinkets like a great baseball stadium. But with our limited funds, Id rather do our best to advance the football program as much as possible. We get 15,000 people to a CUSA Football Championship game in bad weather. If it isn't sunny & 75, what kind of crowd do you think a .500 baseball team would draw in Huntington?

Mostly the admission by sports writers/people in baseball...and my general opinion. World Series numbers keep declining, youth interest is still a huge problem, & football and basketball off season interest keep expanding into baseball's summer wheelhouse.

Besides World Series viewership declining (which it has been pretty consistent for the last decade), baseball faces nothing different than football and basketball are facing. NFL viewership demographics are increasingly aging. Their average viewer's age continues to increase without an offset from younger viewers. Participation in both football and basketball has been dropping.

Baseball continues to see a very impressive attendance and revenues. Besides World Series ratings, it's hard to argue that baseball is dying without also having to admit football and basketball are, too, as those two sports have the same exact issues without the benefit of having increase in game attendance like baseball has had.

Baseball is not dying.

The problem in Huntington is there are about a half-dozen groups of people who would love to play pretend baseball owner, either in the real rookie leagues or one of those phony "independent" leagues, if only MU would build a baseball park and rent it to them for $1.

They all have it backwards. MU has been carrying the local economy for decades. It is time the local governments, business leaders, and businesses joined together and built MU something.

I disagree. It absolutely is about what people care about. Nobody cares about baseball, so it will be done when we get the property at the right price. If that is next year or 20 years from now, it doesn't matter. People don't care. Most people (including me) would be pissed if we sacrifice growing our football program to over pay for property to build a stadium on that nobody will care about.

If people cared much about it, it would have been done long ago. If Marshall held a gun to people's heads and told them that they'd have to come up with another $30,000,000 to build a baseball stadium (like they did with the IPF) or they would cancel the program, what do you think people would chose? You have to grow what your donors want grown or they may pull their money. It isn't right & isn't fair to the baseball players & coaches, but it is the reality. Baseball is a dying sport that requires a lot of land to play on. It is tough to secure the amount of acreage within a city to build a baseball field, let alone a stadium necessary to house everything.

We'll get it when we get it because people don't care about it.
Dying sport...You watch the CWS?? Over 350,000 in attendance. It is "dying" due to your lack of paying attention to what is really going on! And $30 mill??

Edit: Removed the unneeded personal attack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dying sport...You watch the CWS?? Over 350,000 in attendance. It is "dying" due to your lack of paying attention to what is really going on! And $30 mill?? You are, sir, an idiot!
No, I didn't watch the CWS. The same way most people didn't.

The 350,000 in attendance...over how many games is that? What I've been able to find, it looks like they average about 23,000/game. There were more people than that at the Boca Bowl. Not sure that's impressive. I guess Marshall can say that in 14 games last year they had about 350,000 people attend their games.

It costed $25,000,000 to build Appalachian Power Park in the early 2000s. The projected cost of the wvu ballpark was $21,000,000. I guess we should expect a $15-20,000,000 price tag? My bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT