ADVERTISEMENT

Houston to Lobby for Big 12 Add

TheGreenhouseEffect

Silver Buffalo
Aug 17, 2012
SilverCometTrail
Was listening to Sirus XM college football talk. Great channel if your a fan of all of college football. Appears Houston is making overture to join the B12. If you look at it, Tejas, TCU and them make it a nice fit for the B12. Size of the city and new stadium to boot should help as well.

If they leave the new and improved old Big East , now AAC, should we not try to join a confernce where it now is logistically feasable, gives us an improved schedule and is a bit of a step up from CUSA?

Think about it. Cinnci , Navy, ECU all driveable. We still have 2 Florida teams in USF and Tosh.0 U, And it's now a 12 team confernce. Monetarily we are a better fit in CUSA, but are we losing fans due to schedules that do not invite season ticket excitement ?

I'd say this would be a great fit, even though CUSA has been good to us.

Thoughts?

AAC would be a good move for us IMO, but it won't be kick-started by Houston to the Big 12. What does the Big 12 get out of Houston joining? They've already got most Texas markets wrapped up.

I'm also still of the belief that the AAC will get a better TV deal than CUSA in this next negotiation round.

WVU is wanting a close travel partner. I think we would be a great fit for the Big 12.

Especially if politicians gave us a bunch of money to sweeten the deal like they did them.

What does Houston bring to the B12 table? Nothing. The Houston market is already captured. The Cougs aren't successful in football or b'ball to B12 standards. Don't see why the B12 would even consider it.

Houston was in the SWAC with Texas etc. but they wont get a Big 12 Invite. I think Memphis or Cincinnati will get the nod way before them as it exapnds the territory. Especially memphis for Bball. If Im the big 12 Commish, I try to add memphis and BYU.

Hate 'em, but if you just look at the measurables conferences are looking at right now, UCF has a lot to recommend it.

The only thing UCF has to offer is its student enrollment which doesn't care for its sports teams because UCF is a community college. Orlando IS attractive but not ucf. The ACC and SEC already own Florida. Why would the big 12 look at florida? WVU got in because they needed a warm body quickly and knew WVU would slobber over the deal.

I think you're selling UCF a little short. I truly despise them, but their fan support has grown and they have show a willingness, and ability, to grow their sports. I think the Big 12 would look for a Florida entry.

I think you're selling UCF a little short. I truly despise them, but their fan support has grown and they have show a willingness, and ability, to grow their sports. I think the Big 12 would look for a Florida entry.
Gotta go with USF. Tampa St Pete is more desirable.

Houston has already peaked, conference wise. They offer nothing that the Big 12 could possibly want, along with the fact that UT would never let another Texas school in. UCF, USF, Cincinnati are all much better options, with BYU being the best overall.

As for the original question at hand, I hope every day that I will read the AAC has invited MU to join. I've stated before that I think MU and ECU should have a standing series, and that should they stay in the conference I would love to see a rivalry born with UC.

WVU is wanting a close travel partner. I think we would be a great fit for the Big 12.

Especially if politicians gave us a bunch of money to sweeten the deal like they did them.

I say this because I care about you. Don't hold your breath for that one.

Reactions: RedParallax
Boise, Cincy and BYU would seem to be the most likely candidates. Memphis offers nothing to the B12. The B12 schools can already go into the FL to recruit and have a national presence. UConn has been mentioned but they really covet an ACC invite. jmo.

Houston has zero point zero zero zero chance of being asked to the Big 2, Little 8. It ads nothing whatsoever to the mix. Texas is a statewide school. It already has the Houston metro area (or, said better, fights with TAMU for it).

If the Big 2, Little 8 expand, first choice is BYU. Utah is the fastest growing state in the country. It is less of a geographical outlier than USPAM. Since it is not in a so-called "power 5" conference, it will put up with the Big 2's unequal revenue deal. Mormonism is the world's fastest growing religion. Salt Lake City is TV market #34 and has no pro sports except the fish out of water NBA. And BYU poses no threat to the Big 2, once Texas flushes out its current coaching mistake. Remember, the Big 2, Little 8 is all about the Big 2.

The question is then who is #12? As stated, it will not be Houston. Obviously no team in one other "power 5" conferences will move down. Cincinnati brings little to the table either. OSU, Big Blue, Notre Dame, dominate college sports this Baseball Town. Remember UC gives away tickets to its games. UConn? Nobody north and east of State College, PA cares a flip about college football.

Which brings us, IMHO, to Florida. Either South Florida Community or Central Florida Community. While both are essentially fanless, the other teams can use the game as a fan travel deal and it gets them in the Florida market for recruiting. Both TV markets are in the top 20, although that doesn't mean a whole lot, since UF and FSU dominate both, but its better than what else is out there. Of the two, my money would be on SFCC. CFCC is heading to a long probation.

Hold on guys. We have not heard from old Coog on this matter. He will tell us all how Houston is going to the Big 12 and win it all.

Reactions: MU ATO
Hold on guys. We have not heard from old Coog on this matter. He will tell us all how Houston is going to the Big 12 and win it all.

BYU is the most logical choice to add to the Big-12 at this point. I also think, it's possible, that Air Force may get asked. This is because Navy is joining a conference and Army probably will follow suit. Both BYU and Air Force bring quality to the table, not necessarily in football but in everything else. You'd be getting a military market, and that market is all over the world.
The same market for Mormons...if Sam C is right about it being a fast growing religion, people will associate with it. It's probably why Notre Dame is so lucrative, not because their football is good (it's been shit the last 20 years minus the one blowout championship game) but their fanbase is literally EVERYWHERE.
I don't think the Big 12 needs Florida for recruiting...especially since all they need to do now is fork out a few $100 bills, give a recruit a coach's business card and tell the kid to call him.

I also don't think many eastern teams are really that attractive anyway. You have to remember, would the Big-12 really want to cater to wvu by adding someone of low quality for them to cut their travel costs? Is Texas really going to take a potential paycut because wvu is upset they have to travel so far all the time? Not likely. BYU is closer, offers more, and overall, will be more attractive than anyone. Same with Air Force.
I also read Colorado State is looking to join, but they are a distant shot.
Boise doesn't offer a damn thing...and we all know this is about money, not really the quality of football (see Rutgers joining Big Ten/wvu joining big-12) and I don't think the conference is attracted to a school who hosts "The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl."

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't true at all. Every source I can find points out Islam as the world's fastest growing religion. LDS Church membership totals a mere 14 million.

Ohhhh! Now, you've done it! Sammy is the board expert on every topic imaginable. Just ask him. And if you call him out on his lies, he will throw a tantrum and try changing the subject. For instance, if you accidentally typed "an" while copying his quite instead of the "a" that he wrote, he will spend countless posts calling you a liar and attempting to change the subject instead of admitting his numerous errors.

So, let's see how he did this post:

Utah is the fastest growing state in the country. .

Wrong! The fastest growing state is North Dakota. ND was the fastest growing in 2014, almost twice as much as Utah. ND has also been the fastest growing this decade. Statistics for 2015 haven't been completed yet.

Mormonism is the world's fastest growing religion. eas.

Wrong! As has been pointed out, the correct answer is "Islam."

Salt Lake City is TV market #34 and has no pro sports except the fish out of water NBA.

Wro! Eh. I can only give you a half wrong on this one. They do have pro sports other than the Jazz. They have good attendance for their AAA baseball team. Their MLS team averages more than 20,000 per fans. Since your statement related to attendance and television ratings, you can't claim they don't have any professional sports other than the Jazz when their professional soccer team averages more fans per game than all except for two NBA teams and all except for two NHL teams. That is highly respectable. Further, claiming that the Jazz are fish out of water doesn't make much sense considering they are in the top 10 for attendance in the NBA.

CFCC is headed to a long probation.

That's extremely unlikely. What leads you to make such an outlandish claim? Knowing your history on here, UCF facing a long probation is almost impossible since you predicted it.

So, not bad for you. 2.5 factual errors and one ridiculous claim.

.And if you call him out on his lies, he will throw a tantrum and try changing the subject. For instance, if you accidentally typed "an" while copying his quite instead of the "a" that he wrote, he will spend countless posts calling you a liar and attempting to change the subject instead of admitting his numerous errors.

Umm, no.

Dude, get over it. You got caught in a lie. The new lie doesn't even get a play. To review, during your childish tantrum over the bowl game, you lied, got called on it (by me and about 10 other posters) then changed you previous post, and got called on that. Because you are a liar.

As to Islam being a "religion" whatever. So the Big 2, Little 8 should add a team in Indonesia?

Whatever. Any thoughtful person knows that Islam is made up of 100s of different sects, most of which are happily trying to exterminate each other. Each is properly classed as a religion separately, as a various Christian sects, such as Baptist, Mormon, Catholic, etc.

Of course if I said the opposite, the liar would have the opposite opinion. Because he is still butthurt over his being caught in a lie.

Dude, get over it. Move on. Next time, don't lie.

Umm, no.

Dude, get over it. You got caught in a lie. The new lie doesn't even get a play. To review, during your childish tantrum over the bowl game, you lied, got called on it (by me and about 10 other posters) then changed you previous post, and got called on that. Because you are a liar.

If 10 other posters, like you claimed, saw this happen and pointed it out, at least one of them would agree with you on your story, right? But, nobody will because it is a blatant fabrication.

The truth is, you made a post about a particular bowl game held in Dallas which, much like your post in this thread, was full of false information. I called you out on those and provided links to refute your claims. Plenty of people laughed at you in the thread.

During one of the quotes I copied of yours, I deleted too many of your words I was trying to quote. So, instead of deleting all of it and copying-and-pasting again (it was before the new board), I just typed in the few words of yours I had inadvertently deleted. In doing so, I accidentally typed the word "Texas" instead of the word you had used ("Dallas"). It had absolutely nothing to do with changing your argument and the error was irrelevant to the discussion. Yet, instead of discussing the numerous inaccurate claims you made and were called out on, you spent the rest of the thread trying to argue that the simple and meaningless error made me a liar.

Whatever. Any thoughtful person knows that Islam is made up of 100s of different sects, most of which are happily trying to exterminate each other. Each is properly classed as a religion separately, as a various Christian sects, such as Baptist, Mormon, Catholic, etc.

Those who determine the fastest growing religions count Islam as one religion. They also count all of the Christian denominations as one religion.

Claiming that the different Christian denominations (likewise with Islam) are all different religions is as dumb as the majority of your posts.

Tell us again how Utah is the fastest growing state and how UCF is about to be hit with a long probation by the NCAA.

LOL, I chuckle when a cerebrally challenged individual hijacks a thread to make what point? And then gets called to the mat on it. Nice job TRSC!

Back to this question. If the B12 takes an AAC member is it worth looking at going there? Logistically it works.

Sorry I do see Houston as a fit in that confernce. Makes a lot of logistical and economic marketing sense, 4th largest city in the nation. Tejas can beat up on them at home and get bowl worthy finally too, LMAO!

The truth is, you made a post about a particular bowl game ....

During one of the quotes I copied of yours, I deleted too many of your words I was trying to quote. So, instead of deleting all of it and copying-and-pasting again (it was before the new board), I just typed in the few words of yours I had inadvertently deleted. .

So your lie above about changing "an" to "a" is, umm, a lie.

What you actually did, liar, is post a false thing. You were called on it, by me and lots of others (this was during you minority of one childish tantrum about not playing a Big 10 bottom feeder in a bowl game) and then you changed the complete quote YOU MADE.

In your childish rage, you forgot that I, and several others had already quoted you. So in post #34 you actually said "A". I, and other quoted it. Then you changed #34 to "B" and, now almost six months later, remain butt hurt. You won't admit what you did, and you have let it consume you, at least in terms of this board. You contribute nothing to it, but to try to catch me in your great takes like "American" and "foreign" are somehow different words in terms of the CFL. Wow. How contributory.

Get over it. Move on. You told a lie. You got called. You look foolish.

LOL, I chuckle when a cerebrally challenged individual hijacks a thread to make what point? And then gets called to the mat on it. Nice job TRSC!!

You're clearly new here. There is a reason not a single one of the supposed ten other people Sammy claims witnessed and called me out on lying and changing a post will acknowledge it in this thread; because it didn't happen.

And, as I pointed out posts ago, instead of discussing the complete falsehoods Sammy is called out on in each thread, he avoids that and tries changing the subject which he has continued trying to do here.

Sammy used to rarely post on here and only post on the smack and Pullman boards. On the smack board, even Marshall fans started to rail against him because of the outlandishly incorrect things he would post. On Pullman, much like on here, he would attempt to be an expert on many topics, yet would post a ton of false information. He then tried stating it like he was an expert on the matter. After countless times of getting called out on it, from people of both sides of arguments, he stopped posting over there, too.

So your lie above about changing "an" to "a" is, umm, a lie.

Learn to read. I stated what your habit is on here; providing a lot of false information, getting called out on it, then trying to argue something meaningless to dodge all of the bullshit you posted. The "an" and "a" example was just that- an example of something pointless you would argue, much like the accident of switching "Texas" and "Dallas" in your quote which gave no change in your message, yet you harped on that relentlessly instead of trying to defend all of your incorrect information.

In your childish rage, you forgot that I, and several others had already quoted you. So in post #34 you actually said "A". I, and other quoted it. Then you changed #34 to "B" and, now almost six months later, remain butt hurt. You won't admit what you did, and you have let it consume you, at least in terms of this board.

The "A" and "B" you refer to were Dallas and Texas. Again, switching those in your quote had absolutely no relevance to what was being discussed or what you were fabricating. Yet, that's all you would discuss the entire rest of the thread because you wanted to avoid the numerous errors you attempted to present as facts, much like you're attempting to do in this thread.

Ten others supposedly called me out on some lie, yet none will support your claim. Hmm. There were plenty of people who disagreed with my argument that Marshall should have played a middle of the pack (not bottom feeder as you, like always, incorrectly argued) big 10 team, by none claimed I was lying about anything.

You contribute nothing to it, but to try to catch me in your great takes like "American" and "foreign" are somehow different words in terms of the CFL.

This one is even more recent than the Dallas/Texas thread. You presented entirely false information about the numbers CFL teams were able to have on their rosters, including the number of forfeign players. I called you out on those errors. At the same time, as a side note, I clarified your use of "Americans" to "foreigners" (or nationals/non-Canadians) because the CFL's rules don't have a limit on just Americans, but rather, foreigners. Again, it wasn't the main errors you were called out on, but just an important clarification of your false information. I provided a link to the official CFL rules proving my information correct and your information incorrect.

Like always, you avoided the crux of the discussion and tried arguing that certain terms meant the same thing, which they did not, and were not the terms the CFL even used.

Later, I'll try to see if that thread is still active so we can all laugh at you some more and give a more accurate example of your lies and manipulation.

Last edited:
Well, that was easy to find.

Since you ran away from that thread after unsuccessfully trying to change the discussion, maybe you won't hide from it this time, Sammy.

As you can read in the thread linked below, you claimed that the "CFL rules limit teams to 24 non-Canadians on the 44 man roster . . . and require 7 (of the 12) players on every play to be Canadian."

I told you that both of those were wrong. You then got mad and provided a link in an attempt to support your claim. Unfortunately, your own link refuted your numbers and showed you to be wrong. So, instead of acknowledging that, you disappeared and then came to this thread to try bringing up a very small part of that discussion where I clarified yet another errors of yours in that thread (the use of American/foreigners/national/etc.).

So, since you brought it up, prove to us again that CFL rules limit rosters to 24 non-Canadians and require 7 of 12 players on each play to be Canadian.

You won't do that. You'll argue something entirely different and meaningless.

Enjoy the link:

http://marshall.forums.rivals.com/threads/cato-to-cfl.7338/#post-82437

Umm, no.

As to Islam being a "religion" whatever. So the Big 2, Little 8 should add a team in Indonesia?

Of course if I said the opposite, the liar would have the opposite opinion. Because he is still butthurt over his being caught in a lie.

Dude, get over it. Move on. Next time, don't lie.

Actually there is only 2 sects of islam Shiite and Sunni. The Kurds is an ethnic group of Shiite Muslim. The more radical, terrorist groups are Sunni Muslim

So, yeah. Houston wants in the Big 12, and should Marshall try to get an invite to the AAC?

I say yes, even if the almost certain outcome of Houston getting jack sh!t from the Big 12.

Was listening to Sirus XM college football talk. Great channel if your a fan of all of college football. Appears Houston is making overture to join the B12. If you look at it, Tejas, TCU and them make it a nice fit for the B12. Size of the city and new stadium to boot should help as well.

If they leave the new and improved old Big East , now AAC, should we not try to join a confernce where it now is logistically feasable, gives us an improved schedule and is a bit of a step up from CUSA?

Think about it. Cinnci , Navy, ECU all driveable. We still have 2 Florida teams in USF and Tosh.0 U, And it's now a 12 team confernce. Monetarily we are a better fit in CUSA, but are we losing fans due to schedules that do not invite season ticket excitement ?

I'd say this would be a great fit, even though CUSA has been good to us.

Thoughts?

Improved schedule? Step up?
So you're obviously talking basketball.

Improved schedule? Step up?
So you're obviously talking basketball.
The AAC schedule would be a huge improvement over CUSA. Cincy, ECU, UCF, Navy, and even Houston are major improvements over just about every team in CUSA save WKU and a shaky La-Tech.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT