ADVERTISEMENT

If you want to do a white out...

herdftblfan

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Sep 3, 2004
Then you start NOW for Purdue and you preach it relentlessly at every turn between now and then. You start NOW and offering a discount so as to press crazy hard for a sellout as well.

This post was edited on 12/31 3:15 AM by HERDftblfan

Originally posted by TheGreenhouseEffect:
White outs are stupid. I hope I never see another white out, ever at Marshall.

Kelly Green OUT.... home opener!!!
This is exactly why any of these types of promotions need to come from the university and the many grass roots efforts made by our fans do not work. When the fans attempt to organize something like this, there are too many people out there that refuse to participate simply because they don't like the choice of color.

At least if Marshall promotes it, it can be considered "official" and I would think more people would participate, even if they "hope to never see a white out" (or whatever color is promoted). I also agree that if this were to be done it must be advertised early, and not a week before the game as has been the case in the past. Finally, shirts would need to be provided at the stadium to the fans ... of course, Marshall would never hand out the 30,000+ shirts needed to really make it effective.

And let me also make the point that I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with TheGreenhouseEffect, just trying to make a point here about the source of such a promotion.

Exactly. You plan promotions now and ram it home on campus and in the media until game day.

Forget the whiteout, do a glow out for a televised night game .have everyone come in neons and pass out glow towels and sticks and glasses

Uhm...Kelly green outs should be every game, moron.

Promote it early. Roll with it. Don't complain about it.

Originally posted by IslandHerd1:
Forget the whiteout, do a glow out for a televised night game .have everyone come in neons and pass out glow towels and sticks and glasses
That's actually a cool idea.

My point, though, is these things CAN succeed if they start NOW. We need our administration to start thinking about these things so they can be on every single schedule that goes out.

Marshall needs to tell everyone in there season ticket renewals and new ticket purchasers what to wear on any given game day for uniformity IF they do a "white out" or "green out" or alternate colors by sections. They start now and not just before any one game. They need to advertise it in the local paper, online paper, radio and television. If not don't rely on the athletic departments promotions people.

White outs, green outs, black outs...pick a color. These things work best when you have a sellout or near sellout. Filling only 60-70 percent of the stadium tends to really emphasize the lack of fan support for the home team. I think the emphasis should be getting more butts in the seats before trying to emulate higher profile programs.

Start it before orientation, sell the shirts at orientation, promote the shirts like crazy the first week or two of classes and keep them on the shelves for ~$10 up until the game. That's the only way for it to work.

Why not pass out NICE kelly green shirts this year with season tickets? Market the game as a Green Out and encourage the season ticket holders to use their Kelly Green shirts they receive with their season tickets?

The color-out is fine without a sell out. You see it on TV all the time, show a good coordinated effort regardless of the attendance level. But I do agree that bus in the seats is a more important effort.

Originally posted by TheGreenhouseEffect:
White outs are stupid. I hope I never see another white out, ever at Marshall.

Kelly Green OUT.... home opener!!!
+1

Few things:

1. Marshall should give each new freshman a kelly green "Gameday" shirt. The shirt is to be worn every gameday...it will be the same color offered by the majority of stores in the area so everything is about as consistent as it can be.

2. Glow sticks are a nice idea...but you're going to have to find a distributor for 30,000 glowsticks. Not everyone is going to use them/remember to bring them.

I think, just to test how well it works, give them to the Maniacs and student section only. I think that'd be cool if the Marshall student section was glowing by itself.

3. While the idea of glow sticks are great, you do realize it needs to be dark in order for people to see them. Those stadium lights are bright for a reason. You'd have to find large enough remote controlled slides that can temporarily cover up the lights for a dark introduction.
I'm sure its possible, but those lights require quite a bit of time to turn on and fully get bright...and they certainly need time to cool down when turned off.
I think it'd be a monumental effort to do something like that, but it could be done and if so, start NOW.

4. What about a little bit of pyro? UK and the SEC have some pretty impressive fireworks that go off when their teams come out. Why not have something maybe a little smaller, like 2-4 mortar cannons firing green and white fireworks? Again, it doesn't need to be New York 4th of July, but something nice...with a loud boom, for the Thunder effect, lol.

I recall we had fireworks atop the Shewey building and they'd go off when we won. I think we should have those for every game and have them for the team entrance.

I also think Huntington should do some form of community support for the team. The WV Building is going to use those bright LED lights and display them white and green for Marshall football games on Saturdays (I believe when we win, they'll have them displayed). Why not have some buildings on campus do something similar?
I want Huntington and Marshall to be so uniquely Marshall and Huntington that anyone foolish enough to wear a wvu shirt, is going to feel so out of place they'll go to the nearest apparel store and get something else to wear.

I never understood the want or need for a white out. We as fans fought hard to get out kelly green back. We should wear it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT