Sep 25, 2008
What would you spend it on?

$40M for JCE and Cam upgrades

$20m for a baseball stadium and softball stadium upgrades

$10M for an Outdoor Track and field facility and grass practice fields

$10M into the Scholarship fund

$10M into the Coaches salaries and sports budgets minus football

$10M into a basketball/Volleyball practice and coaches offices

Start a first class Law School. Start a first class School of Optometry. Start a first class baseball facility with the city and a pro league team.

100 million does not go as far as you might think.

UC is spending 86 million to upgrade their football stadium and it is only adding 5000 seats.

Enough blow to build a snowman.

meh.ro5604.jpg

Originally posted by kyherd:

UC is spending 86 million to upgrade their football stadium and it is only adding 5000 seats.
Yeah but that place is a literal hole in the ground. Been to many games there and always had to use portalets INSIDE the stadium.

Originally posted by kyherd:

Only adding 5000 seats yes, but also tore down old press box and private boxes and rebuilt a much larger press box with bigger private boxes and more private boxes and bar/concession areas.

Baseball Park - $20M cost. Pay $13M of cost, sell naming rights for $2M, borrow $5M remainder on state tax free bonds. Rental to minor league team would be $250K/year which would retire debt in 25 years with interst.

4 Passenger Lear Jet for exclusive use of coaches. $13M

70 passenger Canadair 700 regional jet, reconfigured for aprox 35 larger sized passengers, for use by all teams except football. $27M. (Football fights are already in the budget, buying a plane large enough for football on a year-round basis is foolish).

Establish a endowed aviation fund to yeild $500K/year to pay for pilots, fuel, and maintence. $10M.

Gut and renovate HC in line with plan issued last year. $15M cost, sell naming rights (corporate arena @ the HC) for $5M. $10M

Renovate JCES with "party deck" replacing end-zone seats; extend west side councoure out into parking lot with additional concessions, more restrooms, generally more room; replace all west side seats with new chairbacks; clean rest of stadium; gut and replace all existing rest rooms; extend east side to where IPF is back wall of enclosed area and wedge in more concessions. $10M cost, sell new naming rights for $5M (corporate field at JCES, Budmiloors Party Deck). $5M.

Buy ACF parking lot, the shed and MD's office between it and the IPF, and Fat Patty's/bean bag store, from academic fund. State matches academic spending 1 to 1. Cost $4M, $2M to us.

Buy as much avaliable land near campus for parking and future growth. Again state matches 1 for 1, so about $10M cost is $5M.

Moveable equipment at current WVU Tech, relocated to MU COIT&E. $1M.

Remainder is split between MU JCESOM for development of more residencies and simply to make school better and MU research corporation to start PhD programs in the hard sciences, health care sciences, and mathematics.

I probably wouldn't spend it...I'd put it into the bank and spend the interest.
Sure, it'd be smaller amounts but it would virtually never go away as long as just the interest were spent.

Quick somewhat related question...

Anyone know what's going on with the Stadium bookstore building? They were taking out windows today. I noticed they also demolished the side building part as well.

What do they plan to do with the place?

Thought about this a million times. I would fund a department within the school of business in banking, insurance and real estate.

I know that doesn't sound as sexy as a baseball stadium or redoing the Cam, but the state of WV has a serious lack of young banking and insurance professionals and those are good paying and in demand jobs. The state also needs more people in fields like appraising, urban planning, and development. The program would pump out a lot of people that would be making $80,000 to $200,000 after 5 years out of college and would have a high placement rate for new graduates.

After spending the last 15 years in banking in the state I know people in almost every bank in the region. It is extremely competitive to hire commercial bankers, business bankers, retail managers, etc. you either have to drop a lot of money to hire someone away from a competitor or hire someone completely green and train them from scratch. I would pay at least $60k for a person straight out of college who had a solid 4 year education tailored to the banking industry and that person would be making over a 100k before they were 28.

If you marketed the program properly you could attract a ton of applications and build a high quality enrollment. Banks would line up to offer internships, you would have people begging to be guest lecturers, and the graduates would be recruited strongly. If done right, Marshall could carve out a national niche much like LSU has with their graduate school of banking.

Originally posted by Herdstruck:
I probably wouldn't spend it...I'd put it into the bank and spend the interest.
Sure, it'd be smaller amounts but it would virtually never go away as long as just the interest were spent.

Quick somewhat related question...

Anyone know what's going on with the Stadium bookstore building? They were taking out windows today. I noticed they also demolished the side building part as well.

What do they plan to do with the place?
From what i've heard and there's a big sign outside the building, they're putting in a CVS in right there for some crazy reason. Really doesn't make sense to me since there's one 1,000 feet away from there soon as you cross the underpass.

Cvs is closing the store on 8th and relocating to the new store being built on 5th. Just imagine how much liquor they will sell out of that store if they have the same set up they have on 29th street.

Originally posted by banker6796:
Cvs is closing the store on 8th and relocating to the new store being built on 5th. Just imagine how much liquor they will sell out of that store if they have the same set up they have on 29th street.
Definitely makes the halftime walk to Stadium Spirits a little quicker.

You'd never here from me again, but MU and the Wounded Warrior Fund would receive a substantial anonymous donation

Figure out how much I wanted for my personal expenses annually and figure out how much of the 100M I needed for interest in an income fund to cover that amount. Take that plus 10% and put in that fund and mostly retire -- live on the water somewhere close to a golf course. The rest would go to the following

30% in a trust fund for my autistic exstepson(he is my son in all but name) for when his 3 parents are gone to support him.
10% give to family and a couple close friends.
20% to the program at MU for autistic college students. Maybe a building for them to live and study with the resources for them to be successful. name the building after my son.
20% to the general college athletics fund
20% to the V foundation. Too many of my family members have passed away from cancer.

When I die the bulk of my estate goes to my other son.

and yes I have thought about this when daydreaming about winning the lottery a few times.

Originally posted by ohio herd:
Law School.
WVU is N E V E R going to let us have a law school.

The way to do law is via the backdoor. If you look at Bar admissions in WV, about 1/3rd went to WVU; about 1/3rd went to places clearly better; and about 1/3rd went to places which are private schools operated at a profit for people that did not get into their state's public colleges.

And the key word here is "at a profit". In the modern, book free, computer age there is little more to law school than a dozen and a half over-paid profs and a few classrooms. There is money in it.

So make a deal with some private group, such as http://www.infilaw.com/ and start a "Marshall College of the Law". No actual control by the state, no in-state tuition, and thus no role for WVU to say a darn thing about it. Build next to campus. Make a deal like the Via chain of osteopathic schools have (Via has campuses next to Virginia Tech, Wofford, and Auburn, and has a deal where students are treated as if they are students of the host college for athletic tickets, campus facilities, and such, use their school colors, and domain name and so on, in return for paying the associated fees as a part of the tuition). Students would be de facto MU students, but de jure Marshall College of the Law students.

We end up with a generation of lawyers who went to "Marshall" and consider MU their law alma mater, and break the WVU monopoly.

If we do not do this, Harvey High (which is fast returning to its historical role as college for those not smart enough to go to college) will start a law school. And that will be bad for MU, and bad for the practice of law.

Originally posted by Herd Fever:
What would you spend it on?

$40M for JCE and Cam upgrades

$20m for a baseball stadium and softball stadium upgrades

$10M for an Outdoor Track and field facility and grass practice fields

$10M into the Scholarship fund

$10M into the Coaches salaries and sports budgets minus football

$10M into a basketball/Volleyball practice and coaches offices
None of the above. If it were mine, I am not going to buy that stuff.
This post was edited on 4/19 9:48 AM by i am herdman

Slim chance of winning I know but if we all pledged to buy some lottery tics say once a month for a period of time...........

OK the first week of each month I am buying $6 worth of tickets.

Well, the fact that CVS is going in at Stationers old location again indicates that MU is shortsighted on its future planning and/or development. Years ago, MU admin. indicated that future campus expansion would be mainly to east and south. There should have been a standing policy that MU would aggressively seek adjacent properties to east and south of campus when they became available and went on the market. Monies should have been allocated for such property acquisition. Yet just the opposite is/has happened. Look at all the commercial development that has recently occurred on the south side of fifth avenue and east of 20th street. Restaurants, gas stations, etc. have sprung up near Edwards Stadium. Now CVS going in at Stationers location, an area which would have been desirable for additional STUDENT and GAME DAY parking for MU!! Did MU make any attempt to try and purchase Stationers? Just makes no sense to me. Of course, I believe that property might have been owned by delegate Morgan, who is a WVU grad, and he might have jacked up the price so high as to have made it prohibitive to MU's acquisition. Sort of like what that money grubbing jerk who owns the 70s era furniture dump near Fat Patty's on 3rd has done all these years!!

Originally posted by oldeherd:
Well, the fact that CVS is going in at Stationers old location again indicates that MU is shortsighted on its future planning and/or development. Years ago, MU admin. indicated that future campus expansion would be mainly to east and south. There should have been a standing policy that MU would aggressively seek adjacent properties to east and south of campus when they became available and went on the market. Monies should have been allocated for such property acquisition. Yet just the opposite is/has happened. Look at all the commercial development that has recently occurred on the south side of fifth avenue and east of 20th street. Restaurants, gas stations, etc. have sprung up near Edwards Stadium. Now CVS going in at Stationers location, an area which would have been desirable for additional STUDENT and GAME DAY parking for MU!! Did MU make any attempt to try and purchase Stationers? Just makes no sense to me. Of course, I believe that property might have been owned by delegate Morgan, who is a WVU grad, and he might have jacked up the price so high as to have made it prohibitive to MU's acquisition. Sort of like what that money grubbing jerk who owns the 70s era furniture dump near Fat Patty's on 3rd has done all these years!!
You act like the recent influx of new businesses in Huntington is a bad thing.

Originally posted by Penn2moss:

You act like the recent influx of new businesses in Huntington is a bad thing.
My thinking too, Peen2Moss. First of all, Marshall would need the money to buy the property and then they need to have something to put on it.
I love the fact that more and more businesses are coming to town. As a Huntington resident, I want all the new business that we can get.

Originally posted by Herd Fever:
Obviously the object of the thread was if you have $100M to spend on Marshall
But some of the comments do help us see why we have difficulty raising BG/Vision donations. Even with hypothetical dollars some of our fans are selfish and not fully engaged with the concept of giving.

No objections to business growth in Huntington, Penn2moss, but just saying that MU has indicated in the past that future growth of campus physically would GENERALLY be to the EAST and South. Yet, administration obviously is/has not following up with that plan with actively obtaining properties in the planned areas of expansion. When/if new business entities become established in same area, then any plans MU would have to obtain said properties would be that much more expensive in the future. Fact is MU's main campus is barely a little more than a hundred acres, and you don't have to be an Einstein to see that MU is pretty much landlocked in terms of available room for expansion, especially to the north and west.

No objections to business growth in Huntington, Penn2moss, but just saying that MU has indicated in the past that future growth of campus physically would GENERALLY be to the EAST and South. Yet, administration obviously is/has not following up with that plan with actively obtaining properties in the planned areas of expansion. When/if new business entities become established in same area, then any plans MU would have to obtain said properties would be that much more expensive in the future. Fact is MU's main campus is barely a little more than a hundred acres, and you don't have to be an Einstein to see that MU is pretty much landlocked in terms of available room for expansion, especially to the north and west.
You do realize the campus footprint has almost doubled in the last 10-12 years dont you?

Half of it would be used for either creating a top notch law or business school, 10m for the football program, 20-25 million to help turn the baseball program into something special (baseball popularity is on the rise), and the remaining 15m to help update and improve campus.

And what conference would that be? AAC and all bigger have shown us they don't want us. Maybe the MAC again or Sun Belt?

Heck if I know but this is all fantasy anyway, right? Well mine is to get out of this stinkin' conference. Certainly wouldn't be the MAC or the Sun Belt. We're in the new Sun Belt NOW.

I take what I said back...

I would buy Steel of WV and move it somewhere more isolated.
I'm glad they employ people, pay well, and overall are important to the city economy.

But...

Good lord is that place an eyesore. It's a rusted relic of a time when industry ruled...not so much anymore.
Hal Greer Blvd would be an awesome little strip of shops and mini parks and overall beauty...if the damn mill wasn't RIGHT THERE.
It also blocks any sort of view of the river...Hal Greer going completely to the riverfront, with that opening, would be AWESOME and it would look great and attract people...especially if there was a connecting boardwalk.

They also would move their piles of junk metal AWAY from the river...where I live, you can see an enormous pile of junk metal...right on the riverfront...it's such a painful thing to see.

I guess I'm just ranting more than anything, but good lord Steel is just an awful thing to look at.
So I'd move it elsewhere...keep it in the city obviously, but somewhere else.

The J-School at Marshall would become the "(my name) School For Journalism Excellence" and would subsequently get a new building.

I would donate to stadium upgrades for football that would potentially allow for future movement into a new conference should one come calling, and I would split an endowment of my interest and investment dividends among the rest of the sports.

ADVERTISEMENT