ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Article on NCAA Stipends

Mike Gwinn

I'd rather be fishing.
Feb 26, 2002
Beckley, WV
ODU will pay stipends to athletes, but how much?

By Harry Minium
The Virginian-Pilot
© May 18, 2015
NORFOLK

East Carolina, Marshall and Virginia Commonwealth have taken the plunge. So have all 80 schools from the Power-5 conferences, among them Virginia and Virginia Tech.

All will pay the so-called full cost of attendance for every athlete in every sport, meaning athletes will begin to receive stipends, along with the tuition, room and board and books that have long been a part of a full scholarship.

According to the Chronicle of Higher Education, the stipends will range from $1,400 to $6,000, depending on the school. They are designed to cover expenses such as travel home, clothes, cell phones and entertainment...

ODU Will Pay Stipends, But How Much?

This has the potential to be very bad for college athletics. Dabo Swinney is right. People are going to make major life decisions on "Hey I can get an extra $1500 over here."

I like that Marshall is trying to go the full route but Id love to know where that cash is coming from.

Reactions: Mike Gwinn
Even more imperative for the Big Green to grow its membership.

It is very important that our donors to buy in to the 110% campaign to increase their donation by 10%. In addition to that, increasing the membership levels by 10% as well. It is amazing at how many alumni that are not members. Some think that nothing is being done but I know better as I know personally from my experience at trying to gain members it isn't always as easy as just asking. If it was...we would have more members in Central KY that we do considering the 100s of alumni that are in Central KY. It gets frustrating at times for sure.

Reactions: Mike Gwinn
Marshall should just include a BG membership into your undergraduate tuition...or, if you're a work-study student, deduct it from your paycheck if you want. In either case, you pay and join. To soften the blow, fill the mail with promotional offers, pamphlets, and discounts and advantages of BG memberships so students forget they even paid. Let's say each student pays $100.00 for the BG membership...that's $50.00 per semester...not bad honestly.

14,000 students x 100.00 = $1.4 million...enough to handle/soften the blow of all this BS.

Combine that with the idea of the Joan making money from beer sales, you've already got 2 elements of the AD that are generating money from within themselves.

Oh, I also like (despite how watered down the conference is) at least they, as a whole, are pooling money together for one another. At least C-USA is somewhat, somewhat, concerned about its well being. Not to say other conferences wouldn't do this, but the amount of ego's in the room in the SEC, it'd be tough to have everyone support giving Vanderbilt the same as Alabama.

I still say the BG does a poor job of communicating that anyone can join for as little as $10 a month. They want the home run when they should be focusing on small ball. Those small donors can grow to big ones in 5-10 years. The current big boys aren't gonna be around forever.

Marshall should just include a BG membership into your undergraduate tuition...or, if you're a work-study student, deduct it from your paycheck if you want. In either case, you pay and join. To soften the blow, fill the mail with promotional offers, pamphlets, and discounts and advantages of BG memberships so students forget they even paid. Let's say each student pays $100.00 for the BG membership...that's $50.00 per semester...not bad honestly.

14,000 students x 100.00 = $1.4 million...enough to handle/soften the blow of all this BS.

Combine that with the idea of the Joan making money from beer sales, you've already got 2 elements of the AD that are generating money from within themselves.

Oh, I also like (despite how watered down the conference is) at least they, as a whole, are pooling money together for one another. At least C-USA is somewhat, somewhat, concerned about its well being. Not to say other conferences wouldn't do this, but the amount of ego's in the room in the SEC, it'd be tough to have everyone support giving Vanderbilt the same as Alabama.

Not saying I dont disagree but you are going to piss of a lot of the student body so a select few get a few extra dollars a month. That wont fly in my opinion.

Not saying I dont disagree but you are going to piss of a lot of the student body so a select few get a few extra dollars a month. That wont fly in my opinion.

I agree with you. That idea is a good one however...that is no different than increasing student fees. We will not increase student fees to cover expenses. Now they might try a similar program for students that would want to participate but to just use it for all students doesn't work in my opinion. Tuition costs are already high enough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT