Feb 26, 2002
Beckley, WV
Marshall Offers Peach State Lineman

Josh Stowers
HerdNation.com Staff

Talk about it in Old Fairfield - Premium Forum

ALEX-MOLLETTE-150112-1.JPG
spacer1.gif

Marshall's gaudy offensive numbers in the last few seasons can be greatly attributed to one player, and I'm not talking about Rakeem Cato.

Chris Jasperse was a staple in the Thundering Herd offense for four seasons after red-shirting his freshman year. That's why it should be no shock that Head Coach Doc Holliday and Offensive Line Coach Alex Mirabal are on the hunt for more players that fit Jasperse's mold.

On May 17th, Coach Chris Barclay extended an offer to Alex Mollette of North Gwinnett High School in Suwanee, Georgia. Mollette announced the offer on Twitter by tweeting, "God has truly blessed me so much! I have received my 12th offer from Marshall University! #TheHerd."

Alex and his family were already very familiar with Huntington, WV when the offer came in. "Marshall is my dad's alma matter. He ran track there back in the day. I was already interested in Marshall, but when they offered it sent my interest through the roof," Mollette said...

Marshall Offers Peach State Lineman

Reactions: TheGreenhouseEffect
I live about 3 miles from the school. North Gwinnett is a contender about every year. Tend to make a deep run into the playoffs but lose in the later rounds against someone that is pretty loaded with talent. They usually have several big recruits every year. SEC and ACC schools hit them hard as they also tend to hit the other big Gwinnett County programs like Buford, Peachtree Ridge, Grayson, Norcross, etc.
For those not familiar with the area, Gwinnett County has 800,000+ population and is NE of ATL. Most of the high schools are 6A. Last I heard, North Gwinnett has around 3,200 kids. Probably have more now. They had one of the top rated O linemen in the country last year. He went to Clemson. They have one of the top ranked WRs this year. The county alone usually has around 60 D1 LOIs a year. Buford HS is 4A and has won 40 games in a row. They had 15 kids sign D1 LOIs last year (several to SEC, ACC, B10, B12) and their season opener was on ESPN. North Gwinnett had been on ESPN as well.
Overall, GA is #4 in terms of D1 recruits. Had 132 kids on NFL rosters last year. The HS talent level and coaching down here are unreal. Developing a pipeline into this county would be very beneficial. There's a lot of talent and UGA, Bama, Auburn, and LSU can't take them all.

Reactions: Mike Gwinn
Doc has a newfound love for Georgia Recruits and so do I. For the most part they are very sound and disciplined in their technique. Plus they come in well-coached, weight room ready, and tough tough players. We all love the Florida recruits but a lot of them come in undersized and undiscipline as far as technique. Yea they might be superior athletically but they usually take some time to catch up unlike Georgia recruits

Indeed Georgia takes it's High School football seriously with schools adding lots of support with facilites. Add the fact Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi and you've got a state loaded up with gappers that UGA Clemson SC and even Bama can't all recruit. Which is why Doc gets a bit perturbed when he hears the G5 P5 divisional argument. He's like I'm getting the same kid Clemson went after too. Recruiting is such a crapshoot, yet the science Doc puts behind his philosophy has worked for the most part.

You did forget Florida and Ohio are east of the Mississippi and they produce just about the same or more the Georgia.

Ohio, Pa, South Carolina, and Louisiana all still produce strong talent with Louisiana having the most NFL players per capita

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT