ADVERTISEMENT

MU PRESS RELEASE MBB announces 2018-19 non-conference schedule

Gotta be honest, this is the exact kind of schedule we have all been clammoring for the last several years... 3 games against P5 teams, no garbage games against D-II teams.

Kudos to Coach D and Mike Hamrick for putting together a nice slate. Its fun to talk basketball again!

Gotta be honest, this is the exact kind of schedule we have all been clammoring for the last several years... 3 games against P5 teams, no garbage games against D-II teams.

Kudos to Coach D and Mike Hamrick for putting together a nice slate. Its fun to talk basketball again!
Scheduling them is one thing. Beating aTm, UVa, and/or Maryland another. It would be a great start to the season should the Herd beat at least one of them.

I love Hamrick and Danny but please give Jeff O'Malley and Mark Cline the credit on this one. They put together basketball schedules every year.

This is the best schedule we have had in my memory.

- No non DI teams.
- Only one out of the region game (we get enough crazy travel from league play).
- SEC, ACC, and Big 10 teams.
- Several driveable from Huntington/ convenient for alumni in other parts of the state games.
- Solid local teams that are "rivals", to the extent that any school is (OU, Morehead, EKU)

When the contracts have ended, don't expect to see Morehead and EKU on future schedules as long as Danny is here. We are getting to the point that RPI is starting to matter. That from the mouth of the man himself

I can see dropping Morehead due to RPI concerns... But EKU is a program with some upside. Former Herd guard AW Hamilton is taking over that program and they have some returning talent. That's a nice MU connection and a close game early in the season.

Any thing aimed at changing the schedule in the future, such as dropping EKU and MSU, or the new CUSA end of the season deal, or whatever, is predicated on the idea that this committee is actually running a fair process, rather than always taking the 8th or 9th loser from a "power conference" over the 2nd place team in a mid major. It is never going to do that. MU could have an RPI in the 40s, and lose the CUSA Final by one point in double overtime, and go to the NIT.

IMHO, we play enough MACers, so draw a circle 3 hours drive from home and who would play us home and home that would be any better than EKU or Morehead?

This is a nice, solid schedule and we should be competitive with all the non-cons on it.

When the contracts have ended, don't expect to see Morehead and EKU on future schedules as long as Danny is here. We are getting to the point that RPI is starting to matter. That from the mouth of the man himself

Be nice if Danny could get a couple more wins against the Eagles before he considers to dropping them; still hasn't beaten them down there, I believe, since he has been the Herd head coach. Another solid season and post season run this season then D'Antoni needs to be working to get the Herd into a MEANINGFUL in season tourney: early NIT, one of the "holiday" tourneys in the islands, or at a major media center, etc. Especially if he is serious on strengthening the Herd's RPI. Time to dump that Global joke, which really does little for our "RPI", with 3 games with "dogs" at the Cam and one road game with a major. At least the type of tournaments I'm talking about would give the Herd a chance to play some majors on a "neutral" floor, which is better than we have now!!!

Be nice if Danny could get a couple more wins against the Eagles before he considers to dropping them; still hasn't beaten them down there, I believe, since he has been the Herd head coach. Another solid season and post season run this season then D'Antoni needs to be working to get the Herd into a MEANINGFUL in season tourney: early NIT, one of the "holiday" tourneys in the islands, or at a major media center, etc. Especially if he is serious on strengthening the Herd's RPI. Time to dump that Global joke, which really does little for our "RPI", with 3 games with "dogs" at the Cam and one road game with a major. At least the type of tournaments I'm talking about would give the Herd a chance to play some majors on a "neutral" floor, which is better than we have now!!!
He would LOVE one of the major tournaments you mentioned. Unfortunately, you must be invited. At least the Global gives us 31 games instead of 29 if we didn't play in one.

We need to keep EKU on the schedule with AW Hamilton there. They will be successful again and have been to the NCAA tournament more than we have in recent years. Plus it is an easy trip for Herd fans to make. Of course I am biased as well as it is 25 minutes from my house. As for Morehead...I would like to see us finally beat them in Morehead. I have lived in Lexington 21 years and went to every game at Morehead since I moved here and I don't believe I have ever seen us win there.

These preseason tournaments with the P5s the we have “to be invited”, how are all the other CUSA schools getting their invitation and not us?

I’d say that’s an MU decision because the Global usually gives us two home games against winnable competition. Jmo.

I always thought that these travel early season tournaments to places like the Caribbean, LV (something like 80 teams are in such tournaments in LV during a 4 week span at multiple different venues), Disney, and such, were predicated on travel deals. The numbers are not huge, but the venues want to have a couple dozen to a couple hundred, depending on the level of the tournament, tourists from each squad. We just cannot deliver that. Plus the team travel is at our expense, and we already have rediculious travel budgets due to CUSA's footprint.

So we go with this Global deal where we are always the #2 team (three home games vs. randos, one away game vs. a name).

Don't disagree at all Herdmeister with your comments and explanation. Just saying if Herd and Danny continue to ramp it up with in season and post season success for another season or two, then the "word on the Herd" gets out there and more commonplace across the basketball world, those "invites" to some bigger, more prestigious in season tourneys should be forth coming. Just hope we willing more than willing to participate.

Just recall that over the decades, Herd has at times, not too frequently, played in some pretty nice tourneys with some "big names". Huckaby once took a Herd team to a 4 team tourney in Vegas which included big John Thompson's Hoyas and Clemson (whom we beat, IIRC). Greg White had a team play in a tournament at UK, where the Herd blew a big lead against George Washington and UK was also upset in the first round. More recently, Ron Jirsa took a team to a 8 team tourney in Alaska where it played the likes of Cal of the PAC-12.

So now, Danny has a team as good or definitely better than those previous MU teams. Can't tell me that these current Herd teams wouldn't hold their own, and find some success, against some power foes at a NEUTRAL site. The game in San Diego versus Wichita St. tells me they could!! If given the chance!!!!!!

Don't disagree at all Herdmeister with your comments and explanation. Just saying if Herd and Danny continue to ramp it up with in season and post season success for another season or two, then the "word on the Herd" gets out there and more commonplace across the basketball world, those "invites" to some bigger, more prestigious in season tourneys should be forth coming. Just hope we willing more than willing to participate.

Just recall that over the decades, Herd has at times, not too frequently, played in some pretty nice tourneys with some "big names". Huckaby once took a Herd team to a 4 team tourney in Vegas which included big John Thompson's Hoyas and Clemson (whom we beat, IIRC). Greg White had a team play in a tournament at UK, where the Herd blew a big lead against George Washington and UK was also upset in the first round. More recently, Ron Jirsa took a team to a 8 team tourney in Alaska where it played the likes of Cal of the PAC-12.

So now, Danny has a team as good or definitely better than those previous MU teams. Can't tell me that these current Herd teams wouldn't hold their own, and find some success, against some power foes at a NEUTRAL site. The game in San Diego versus Wichita St. tells me they could!! If given the chance!!!!!!
Believe me, Danny wants ti be there. As someone posted either here or another thread, these tournaments also look at "how many people will they bring with them". I remember when Memphis, also a mid major, would play in them, they would take a charter plane full of fans with them. We don't have that large of fan base and certainly not as many "deep pocket" fans.
From what I am hearing there will be a decent number traveling with the team to Nassau in August. That's a great start

Believe me, Danny wants ti be there. As someone posted either here or another thread, these tournaments also look at "how many people will they bring with them". I remember when Memphis, also a mid major, would play in them, they would take a charter plane full of fans with them. We don't have that large of fan base and certainly not as many "deep pocket" fans.
From what I am hearing there will be a decent number traveling with the team to Nassau in August. That's a great start

May be so, but believe in White years, we did take a decent amount of fans to the UK tourney. "Decent" meaning the small allotment of tix we were given to go to Lexington 2 hours down the road. UK does NOT need or rely on opponents fans to fill its basketball arena: that's a "given", and has been for many, many decades. Also, in Huck's team's journey to the Vegas tourney, remember that was in Tark the Shark's glory days: the Rebels, too, couldn't have cared less if MU brought ONE paying fan. They filled every seat, 17 or 18 thou plus, with their own fans.

I'm sure these off shore, island tourneys, etc., would like schools to bring some fans. But watch some of them on TV: they're often played in a not too large arena, and are usually before way less than "packed houses".

Watched on TV WVU play in one such tourney in the last few years, and the empty seats were prevalent, despite a field including a few name power teams. The basketball equivalent of the Bahamas Bowl atmosphere in football, if you will.

May be so, but believe in White years, we did take a decent amount of fans to the UK tourney. "Decent" meaning the small allotment of tix we were given to go to Lexington 2 hours down the road. UK does NOT need or rely on opponents fans to fill its basketball arena: that's a "given", and has been for many, many decades. Also, in Huck's team's journey to the Vegas tourney, remember that was in Tark the Shark's glory days: the Rebels, too, couldn't have cared less if MU brought ONE paying fan. They filled every seat, 17 or 18 thou plus, with their own fans.

I'm sure these off shore, island tourneys, etc., would like schools to bring some fans. But watch some of them on TV: they're often played in a not too large arena, and are usually before way less than "packed houses".

Watched on TV WVU play in one such tourney in the last few years, and the empty seats were prevalent, despite a field including a few name power teams. The basketball equivalent of the Bahamas Bowl atmosphere in football, if you will.
It still comes down to being invited. We have NOT

Not disagreeing with the idea that we "haven't been invited". At least since Jirsa took a team to the Great Alaska Shootout. I'm sure that the Herd back then just didn't invited themselves to that tourney.

I am saying that more than likely that if Danny's team continues to find success at or above the level that they garnered in the 17-18 season, that eventually such "invites" will come. Then I'm sure the Herd will take advantage of the opportunity presented and will participate in such a tourney or tourneys.

Reactions: Herdmeister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT