ADVERTISEMENT

More tipping

I tip very well. I probably get more enjoyment out of it than the waiter/waitress. Jackmob...you have every right to tip as you please, but you seem a bit obsessed with it. This is like the second or third thread you've started on it. It's Christmas time. Spread a little joy. Last night my wife and I ate at Fat Pattys. Our bill was $31. I gave the waiter $40 and told him to keep the change. This is a young married guy with young kids. He literally turned around and walked back to the table to thank us. He was really appreciative. That made me feel good and helped a young man out. No losers in that.

Originally posted by GK4Herd:
It's Christmas time. Spread a little joy.
Joy is awful. I prefer Ajax orange dish liquid. Antibacterial. $1.79 for the 32 ounce bottle. They changed the lids on them, prompting me to cuss a few times as I stood in disbelief. Then somebody was coming so I just picked it up and went on.

But joy is really terrible. I hate it because I remember it. And I want more of it. Life without it seems lesser. I have no idea where to find it now or how to get it. It's over. No more joy. Joy is like a bad drug. Just say no to joy.

I just say no to eating in restaurants period. The microwave does a fine job.

I tip 20% 99% of the time so it's not tipping that bothers me. It's that fact that tipping is no longer something you do for good service it's something that is expected of you. I have tipped $10 on a $30 meal before because they were exceptional not because I felt I had to. When I'm being prompted on how much I need to tip to reach a certain percent at the bottom of the receipt it pisses me off. I can do basic math and furthermore I don't need the amount of money I tip to be compared to percentages. Now kitchen staff deserve a tip here is a novel idea don't make working in a kitchen your life goal have a bunch of kids and complain about not making enough money to support them.

I'm not trying to be a prick about this. This is more an indictment of how some regions tip than anything else. 20% is for average service. It has been like that for years. So, tipping $9 on a $31 check is $2 more than average ($7 on a $31 check is 20%). Not a bad tip at all, right? But, for a worker to be that thankful for receiving $2 more than what should be a standard tip? That shows just how poorly people at that restaurant or that region tip.

Jackmob- you have already shown to be a notoriously greedy and thoughtless tipper based on your previous posts on this matter. Now, you are complaining that the cooks get tipped out at the end of a shift? Should hosts get tipped out? Busboys? If everyone tipped average or better and weren't cheap like you, everyone would be taken care of, as it should be.

Just remember that your failure to tip is an indictment of the establishment not just the server.

I found this on a website.

Restaurants with table service: Tip 15% or more of the bill, based on the quality of service. If you receive exceptional service, 20-25% is customary. In major cities of the U.S. however, 20% is considered to be a "good tip." Note: In most larger restaurants in the USA, the server has to pay back a portion of their tips to the bartender, busser, hostess, and food runners. A good rule of thumb is if you see people other than your server helping maintain or clean tables, serve wine, or deliver food, those people are being tipped by your server for their work. Even if you do not see additional "support staff, it is vary likely that the server is paying a portion of their tips to other staff.

Please note that in *some* states, restaurants are allowed to pay their servers as low as $2.13 per hour. This base wage varies among states, for example, Massachusetts pays $2.63, Connecticut $5, and California $8. Service is almost never included in the bill. If it is, it will say "Gratuity" or "Service Charge" with an amount next to it. If an amount is included as a "Gratuity" or "Service Charge," tipping is not required.

All tipped employees make at least $7.25 per hour regardless of what you tip. That is why it is important that you speak with a manager or the owner if you receive truly poor service.

I always thought 15% was average.
That's me. I thought it was 15 %, with the new trend heading towards 18%. Personally, I'm still at 15% for average service. Unless it's a diner or something with small bills, where i'll tip 2-3 $ which could end up easily being 25-30%

Buffets I do 10% because I figure i do 50% of the work myself. I don't know if there is different etiquette for a buffet or not?

Rifle,
I find it funny you call me cheap when you have no idea how I tip. I would also love to go to a restaurant with you and see you leave a $20 tip on a $30 check. Maybe I just didn't grow up on your side of the tracks where 20% is average. What do you tip for "good service"?

Originally posted by CockyHerd:
All tipped employees make at least $7.25 per hour regardless of what you tip. That is why it is important that you speak with a manager or the owner if you receive truly poor service.
Not so.

It's supposed to be true, but most employees are too afraid they'll lose their job if they get under that and report it.

Originally posted by HerdandHokies:
It's supposed to be true, but most employees are too afraid they'll lose their job if they get under that and report it.
Maybe I'm taking the original statement by Cocky out of context but wait staff do not have to be paid 7.25 hour as a base rate/wage. There are other exclusions in some states minimum wage law that permit a much lower per hr/$$ amount (Tip earners in this case). And even some states (NC) that allow a lower hourly wage, whether or not the employee is tipped out or not, based purely on dependent/student status.

In regards to your comment Hoke, it balances out in most cases. Most make well above 7.25 hr and choose not to report either because they prefer a significant amount be kept "under the table".

Originally posted by jackmob5225:

I find it funny you call me cheap when you have no idea how I tip.
What's wrong with being cheap?

I think this tipping business is ridiculous. The price should be whatever it says on the menu. If you want this extra tipping, include it in the price or forget about it.

Cheapness is a virtue. Not something to be ashamed of. I think the more money you spend, the more you just got ripped off for something stupid. Everybody wants big houses, big rocks, big trucks, big cars, big fake boobs. I just want a bigger savings account. The more I save, the more proud I am that I could make it the rest of the way on grocery baggin' money if I had to.

Originally posted by Walden Pond:

The price should be whatever it says on the menu. If you want this extra tipping, include it in the price or forget about it.
Exactly. I paid 5 bucks for a damn beer, and then they expect another buck for filling up the mug.

If it weren't for the old lady, I would just go through the drive throughs, or pull into a subway. Even the losers at the Subway have a damn tip jar sitting there next to the register. I'm guessing everybody must think about that the same way I do, because there's nothing but a pennies, a few nickles, and an occasional dime sitting in the jar.

I don't personally think you're cheap Jackmob. If you do in fact leave 20% most of the time that's certainly fair. But where I've been put back a little by your comments are some of the things you've said on these tip threads. It gives the appearance that you think you're better than they are. Now...I'm not saying you believe you are. Only you know the truth in that regard. But you certainly leave me with that impression.

Here are a few examples on this thread (not both by you)...

" don't make working in a kitchen your life goal have a bunch of kids and complain about not making enough money to support them."

"Even the losers at the Subway have a damn tip jar sitting there next to the register."

These atatements give me the impression that you and others believe that waiters and waitresses are 2nd class citizens. Not every person is born into a family that values education and have the resources to send their kids to school to become doctors and lawyers. Many times these waiters and waitresses are working their way through school.

Waiting is honest and hard work. If you are treated rudely you have every right to tip accordingly. But it's been my experience that those who consistently complain about their service and tip poorly usually latch onto a reason that is completely out of control of the waiter/waitress. Things like the food being cooked improperly, the time it takes to get the food, the quality of the food, etc. Oh, almost forgot...or the fact that suggested tips are printed at the bottom of the receipt. lol. In most instances this has nothing to do with the wait staff. Yet they suffer the demeaning comments and reduced tips despite the fact that they work just as hard.

years ago it was 15%. with a google search of "what is an average restaurant tip," i found many more claiming at least 20%. here are some lines alone from the first page of the google search:

-Nowadays, 15 percent isn't an average tip - it's a way of registering displeasure with the service.

-And if the New York Post is right, the rate is flying higher than the current 20 percent

-The 20 percent standard seems to apply to most places in the U.S., if
the tipping threads on restaurant review site Yelp are representative.

-A thread on Chowhound.com
suggests that 20 percent is standard, although some gourmands are
willing to pay 25 percent or even more for exceptional service, and
knock gratuity down to 15 percent for sub-par attendance.

-A study by Cornell University consumer behavior professor Michael Lynn,
who examined 9,000 credit card receipts from a Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
restaurant, found that more than a third of diners left tips greater
than 20 percent.

-One of the most prominent restaurant critics in the country insists that you tip 20 percent at all times

Originally posted by riflearm2:

years ago it was 15%. with a google search of "what is an average restaurant tip," i found many more claiming at least 20%. here are some lines alone from the first page of the google search:

-Nowadays, 15 percent isn't an average tip - it's a way of registering displeasure with the service.

-And if the New York Post is right, the rate is flying higher than the current 20 percent

-The 20 percent standard seems to apply to most places in the U.S., if
the tipping threads on restaurant review site Yelp are representative.

-A thread on Chowhound.com
suggests that 20 percent is standard, although some gourmands are
willing to pay 25 percent or even more for exceptional service, and
knock gratuity down to 15 percent for sub-par attendance.

-A study by Cornell University consumer behavior professor Michael Lynn,
who examined 9,000 credit card receipts from a Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
restaurant, found that more than a third of diners left tips greater
than 20 percent.

-One of the most prominent restaurant critics in the country insists that you tip 20 percent at all times

I'm not really arguing rifle. I tip 20% or greater. Just never really knew that the bar has raised like that.

Rifle,
I find it funny you call me cheap when you have no idea how I tip

i dont have to know how much you tip. i can tell by your comments in numerous threads on the subject that you are a cheap bastard.

I would also love to go to a restaurant with you and see you leave a $20 tip on a $30 check.

i have done much, much more than that many times. i have paid more on a tip than i have for the actual meal more than a few times. granted, it isnt as frequent as it used to be, as i dont make anywhere near the money now that i did over the eight years before changing jobs.

servers at restaurants near where i lived would always get very big tips. it wasnt really due to being altruistic, as i would reward even average service with huge tips at these restaurants. i frequented them the most, would never have to wait in lines on weekends, and dates would always be impressed that the hosts and servers would call me "mr. xxxx."

restaurants where i didnt frequent would get large tips based on a variety of factors. if a waitress had big tits, she would get a better tip. if she had big tits and showed them off, she would get an even bigger tip. if she had big tits and a nice ass, she would get my tip.

even with bad service, i am almost positive i have never left anything less than 20%. i know that isnt the best thing to do as it reinforces bad service. even when im with a girlfriend agrees that we have had horrible service, i will ask her "is it really bad if i only tip 20%?" it's a bit of being too egotistical and not wanting the servers to think im cheap, as well as understanding people have bad days and hoping to change their mood.

but, yes, you are a cheap bastard.

I'm not really arguing rifle. I tip 20% or greater. Just never really knew that the bar has raised like that.

sorry, i also wasnt trying to come across like that. most places i see have the tips build in at the bottom with "15/20/25," though i have seen some with "15/18/25."

These atatements give me the impression that you and others believe that waiters and waitresses are 2nd class citizens. Not every person is born into a family that values education and have the resources to send their kids to school to become doctors and lawyers. Many times these waiters and waitresses are working their way through school.
This is what our society is built on. If we make it pleasant on people to just work as a waiter, why would they want to do more? I honestly think looking back on it now, I would have been able to get by on a lot less money. May have been better off just staying in the hills and learning to live on less.

But all the hell you catch from people for being a loser drives you to kick their ass. In the process, you destroy the hell out of yourself but you accomplish a lot more. Without people driven to accomplish anything, our civilization would be set back quite a bit.

On the other hand, a lot of times I think maybe it was too easy. I was competing with idiots and dropouts. Maybe I would have been driven to accomplish even more if I had a bunch of rich relatives. Status and feeling better than other people is what winning is all about. Take that away and there's not much use in even playing the game. Where's the satisfaction in winning?

Gk4HERD
I have been told I come across much different on here than in person. Sometimes I have a difficult time explaining my thoughts without sounding like an Ass. I grew up working in restaurants a long time ago so I know first hand how hard they work because I started washing dishes at 15. I will watch how I word my comments closer.

Gk4HERD
I have been told I come across much different on here than in person. Sometimes I have a difficult time explaining my thoughts without sounding like an Ass. I grew up working in restaurants a long time ago so I know first hand how hard they work because I started washing dishes at 15. I will watch how I word my comments closer.
Fair enough.

Now kitchen staff deserve a tip here is a novel idea don't make working in a kitchen your life goal have a bunch of kids and complain about not making enough money to support them.
I read the article you linked and looked up the restaurant. This isn't a Waffle House. When veal tongue tonnato is on small plates menu I figure the life goal of the kitchen staff is to have their own restaurant.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke MU:

Now kitchen staff deserve a tip here is a novel idea don't make working in a kitchen your life goal have a bunch of kids and complain about not making enough money to support them.
I read the article you linked and looked up the restaurant. This isn't a Waffle House. When veal tongue tonnato is on small plates menu I figure the life goal of the kitchen staff is to have their own restaurant.
Hey...what's wrong with Waffle House?
wink.r191677.gif

I gave guy $20 the other day who asked for it at the red light. He was about 30 or so. Said he lost his job and had kids who was having trouble feeding. He actually was clean.

I told the guy to take it and hang I there.
I figure he needed it worse than I did and if he ripped me off oh well.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by i am herdman:
I gave guy $20 the other day who asked for it at the red light. He was about 30 or so. Said he lost his job and had kids who was having trouble feeding. He actually was clean.
Holy cow, this is what scares me. When does this happen? What age? Every tough as nails bastard I ever thought was great always ends up getting soft. The old man has greatly disappointed me to the point that I'm just waiting for the call. Hell, if things don't change I'll answer the call with, "Good luck taking care of it yourself, idiots."

He has caved to the bums bigtime. Sad story. I guess most people facing lonely old age opt to buy some idiots to keep them company. He's paying way too much. I'm hopeful I won't fall into the trap he has. I have an advantage. The curse. The rules. Charity comes after death. That's the rule. They can have it all then.

Originally posted by i am herdman:

I told the guy to take it and hang I there.
I figure he needed it worse than I did and if he ripped me off oh well.
People like you annoy the sh!t out of me. Not only do those people who give money delay traffic, but they cause a legitimate safety hazard. You also reward those a$$holes for doing what they are doing. Why would they get a job for $15/hour and be a positive part of society when they can pick their own hours, not have a boss, and make $30/hour begging at red lights?

i am as compassionate a person as you will find . . . to a fault. But, if that scam artist truly had hungry children, he could make one call to the child's principal, the police, a local food bank, dozens of places of worship, and even some grocery stores and they would make sure those children are well nourished. As long as he didn't have crack pipes and more than one prostitute at a time in open view in his residence, there would be no concern about losing his children to child protective agencies.

Way to motivate and support a drain on society.

I agree rifle. Bumming at the red light pays well, I remember that DC news story where one of the bums was driving a Benz.

I did give a guy at a light ten bucks one time. In Tennessee. Scruffy white boy driving a beat to hell Subaru with Michigan plates. The car was still smoking. Said he was going to Atlanta for a new job and the car blew up and he only had 100 bucks and he needed to fix it. I gave him ten, told him it's probably the notorious Subie head gasket blow, fvxk the car and get a bus ticket.

"Originally posted by CockyHerd:

Not so."

It depends on the state. In Pennsylvania, waiters mane less than minimum wage but keep their tips.

Originally posted by WiiWii:

Not so."

It depends on the state. In Pennsylvania, waiters mane less than minimum wage but keep their tips.
Will you please keep your dumb ass on TiTM? This is where the adults talk to one another. Your response in no way contradicts what Cocky wrote.

Originally posted by murox:

Originally posted by WiiWii:

Not so."

Will you please keep your dumb ass on TiTM? This is where the adults talk to one another. Your response in no way contradicts what Cocky wrote.
I should have said "most". It is of course dependent upon State Laws and whether the employer chooses to follow those laws.

What I was trying to get across is, that you are often penalizing the establishment and not always the server by under-tipping.

It always makes sense to speak with a manager and/or owner. If you don't get the kind of response you were hoping for, then it's probably not a place you'd prefer to frequent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT