ADVERTISEMENT

New CSU stadium

According to The Wall Street Journal,

"Skeptics, including some alumni and faculty, see the project as a boondoggle—especially for a team that plays in a relatively low-profile athletic conference and doesn't sell out its current 32,500-seat stadium off campus. The debate has sparked dueling websites, animated letters to the editor and arguments about the role of sports at a university."

All that renovation and "expansion" will make it officially a little less than 2,000 people larger than ours...whoopty doo...

1/4 of that...going to the stadium, would make it extremely nice.

Colorado St upping the G-5 stadium game.

New on-campus stadium
Like the idea/policy that stadium tailgating HAS TO CEASE 30 MINUTES PRIOR TO KICKOFF. Assume that this is the policy currently in effect in CSU's current stadium. Must be nice to have an Athletic Administration that realizes that the GAME ITSELF is the MAIN OBJECTIVE of an Athletic event and takes steps to GET THE FANS IN THE STANDS!! Wonder if the RAM fan base all bitch, moan and groan about having to stop their tailgating and SUPPORT THEIR TEAM? WONDER what the reaction would be among the green wearing fans in H-town if Mike Hamrick implemented such a plan?

Like the idea/policy that stadium tailgating HAS TO CEASE 30 MINUTES PRIOR TO KICKOFF. Assume that this is the policy currently in effect in CSU's current stadium. Must be nice to have an Athletic Administration that realizes that the GAME ITSELF is the MAIN OBJECTIVE of an Athletic event and takes steps to GET THE FANS IN THE STANDS!! Wonder if the RAM fan base all bitch, moan and groan about having to stop their tailgating and SUPPORT THEIR TEAM? WONDER what the reaction would be among the green wearing fans in H-town if Mike Hamrick implemented such a plan?

One reaction would be to laugh, as a lot of our tailgating is done on private property.

As for MU property, who cares. Beat the dead horse some more. I personally prefer less of a nanny state. Perhaps we should build a party deck to entice more people into the game, as well as better the game day experience.

One reaction would be to laugh, as a lot of our tailgating is done on private property.

As for MU property, who cares. Beat the dead horse some more. I personally prefer less of a nanny state. Perhaps we should build a party deck to entice more people into the game, as well as better the game day experience.

Thanks for saving me from having to type all that.

I hope before I expire....The JOAN will be called......Marshall Stadium (built by THE SWEENEY) and it will look like Colorado State's...double decked....:( meaning our attendance will increase by about 25,000 fans! I see GREAT things for The Tri-State area.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Probably complete and total bitching in an astronomical scale...

American sports vs. the world...We like to think the tailgate and drinking and eating is the most important part of the event...it's not just in Colorado...look at Ole Miss...who had to figure out a way to make going to the games more bearable when their team was repeatedly raped by their own conference. People plan WEEKS in advance to go to a single game...for tailgating. It's actually more what the school is known for than the football itself...and that's...kinda sad (but you can't blame them...even Eli Manning couldn't save Ole Miss in several ways).

I hardly think Marshall would ever want to try something like that...not just for the obvious fact that it'd be an abject failure, but also for the fact that...how are you ever going to regulate it?

If we had started no stadium reentry during the early 90s it would never be an issue now. Imagine if we had ended leaving at half then and sold beer. We would have been way ahead of the curve and no one would threaten not ever going to games and stuff like that. Personally I think most folks are bluffing.

If we had started no stadium reentry during the early 90s it would never be an issue now. Imagine if we had ended leaving at half then and sold beer. We would have been way ahead of the curve and no one would threaten not ever going to games and stuff like that. Personally I think most folks are bluffing.

How does no reentry solve the problem of those who leave and don't come back? If the answer is because people want to drink beer, then just sell beer at a reasonable price. Not sure why every time alcohol comes up it has to be tied to no reentry.

Reactions: pj(HN)
How does no reentry solve the problem of those who leave and don't come back? If the answer is because people want to drink beer, then just sell beer at a reasonable price. Not sure why every time alcohol comes up it has to be tied to no reentry.

Hell, Raoul Duke, what do you want to entice people into the stadium? How about a FOOTBALL GAME involving our team which has HIGH EXPECTATIONS, including goals of high national ranking, bowl invitations, etc. Crap, if we have so damn many drunks and/or addicts among our fan base, maybe that helps explain the sad state that both Huntington and WV find themselves in. If someone can't lay off the sauce for 3 to 3 and a half hours during the game, they are in a pretty sad state. You know, I'll bet quite a few of those who get on these sites and moan about our pathetic attendance are the same folks who are still outside the stadium while the game is going on, or never go into the stadium at all. If MU ever does provide alcohol sales in the stadium, then along with that the administration should shut down tailgating on University sites close to kickoff. Not nanny state, just common sense in trying to build up the fan support in the stadium.

Reactions: tradebait
I never leave the stadium until the clock says 00:00. That's why I tailgate before the game. I can understand a spring game but leaving a real game makes no sense. Money is too hard to come by to waste like that.

Reactions: pj(HN)
I'd love to see MU do something to enclose the bottom of our stadium like they've planned to do here. It would give the old stadium a very new look, provide more room for ammenities inside the stadium, and allow for a warmer environment (literally in the winter, and figuratively as well). Only problem would be the decreased air flow on those hot fall days. There is plenty of room to do it, just by enclosing the current framework and eliminating the interior fencing.

Hell, Raoul Duke, what do you want to entice people into the stadium? How about a FOOTBALL GAME involving our team which has HIGH EXPECTATIONS, including goals of high national ranking, bowl invitations, etc. Crap, if we have so damn many drunks and/or addicts among our fan base, maybe that helps explain the sad state that both Huntington and WV find themselves in. If someone can't lay off the sauce for 3 to 3 and a half hours during the game, they are in a pretty sad state. You know, I'll bet quite a few of those who get on these sites and moan about our pathetic attendance are the same folks who are still outside the stadium while the game is going on, or never go into the stadium at all. If MU ever does provide alcohol sales in the stadium, then along with that the administration should shut down tailgating on University sites close to kickoff. Not nanny state, just common sense in trying to build up the fan support in the stadium.

There's football on TV, in the warmth of your home, on a 60 inch HD screen.

It is the same problem facing 90% of college teams, and almost every pro sports team.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
There's football on !
There's football on TV, in the warmth of your home, on a 60 inch HD screen.

It is the same problem facing 90% of college teams, and almost every pro sports team.

If that is the case, Duke, then having alcohol in or around the stadium premises is NOT going to be the deciding factor in getting these types out to the game. They will just stay in their warm homes, drinking their own booze in front of their own 60 inch HD screens!!

If that is the case, Duke, then having alcohol in or around the stadium premises is NOT going to be the deciding factor in getting these types out to the game. They will just stay in their warm homes, drinking their own booze in front of their own 60 inch HD screens!!

It's not just selling beer.

The whole idea is more tech as well as a "party" atmosphere. Better food options are needed, too....baseball can't get by anymore on the traditional beer and a hotdog. The game itself is no longer a destination, it has to be an event.

I don't claim to know the exact recipe for the answer, but again this is something facing most of sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT