ADVERTISEMENT

New message board

Mike Gwinn

I'd rather be fishing.
Feb 26, 2002
Beckley, WV
Barring any new hang ups, board migration will begin late Monday night. By the time you wake up Tuesday morning you should see a new look HerdNation.

Migration begins around midnight tonight. Boards will be read only for about 3 or 4 hours. After that, I'll have to do some housekeeping in the morning and we'll be ready to go. Here are a list of some of the benefits and features of the new boards...

1. They are a responsive design; meaning, they were designed for desktop, tablets and mobile - all in one design and all at the same URL. No need to go to a different address to get the proper version for your device

2. They have a modern, secure and actively maintained framework built for speed & stability

3. There will be no limit on Thread History, so you can reference old topics or replies at any time

4. There is Private Messaging, Social Profiles and Rich(er) Content - embeddable video, embeddable Tweets, etc

5. You now can set up alerts and follow users so you don't miss replies to topics you're participating in or miss great posts from your favorite users. In yourNews Feed you'll be able to see all of the topics, users, and content that you wish to follow.

6. Dynamic quoting system so what you select within a thread can be quoted without copying and pasting any code. You select what you want to quote and click Reply over that selection, and it will be put automatically in your reply. You can quote multiple posts and automatic quoting is set up so that you can always follow the conversation with a user forgetting to quote.

7. Improved navigation and search: quickly jump to the first unread post in a thread or to the top and bottom of each thread. Advanced search features include by keyword, date or thread title.

We are going back to vBulletin?
wink.r191677.gif

Don't necessarily like it. New posts and their activity level are not discernible. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

1. They are a responsive design; meaning, they were designed for desktop, tablets and mobile - all in one design and all at the same URL. No need to go to a different address to get the proper version for your device

Before, I was able to select if I wanted to see the regular or mobile version on my phone. Now, I'm just stuck with this version?

In this version, how do you see who made the last post in a thread without having to actually click on the thread and scroll all the way to the bottom?

Also, before, while reading any thread, I had a drop down list which enabled me to immediately go to one of the other boards. Now, I'm going to have to hit the "back" button a few times or go to the menu location, then hit message boards, then hit the one I want?

Those are just the immediate inconvenient changes I found within 60 seconds. Does rivals actually test this stuff out with actual users before rolling it out? Change will always cause a learning curve and some inconvenience at the beginning, but these changes just seem to limit the choices for the user and make them do more work.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Before, I was able to select if I wanted to see the regular or mobile version on my phone. Now, I'm just stuck with this version?

In this version, how do you see who made the last post in a thread without having to actually click on the thread and scroll all the way to the bottom?

Also, before, while reading any thread, I had a drop down list which enabled me to immediately go to one of the other boards. Now, I'm going to have to hit the "back" button a few times or go to the menu location, then hit message boards, then hit the one I want?

Those are just the immediate inconvenient changes I found within 60 seconds. Does rivals actually test this stuff out with actual users before rolling it out? Change will always cause a learning curve and some inconvenience at the beginning, but these changes just seem to limit the choices for the user and make them do more work.
I am not on mobile, so there may still be some differences but.....

Last posts (by whom and time posted) can still be seen from the message board home screen in the right hand column (Last Message). The drop down seems to have been replaced by the "Quick Navigation" panel, which will allow you to navigate from message board to message board.

Does rivals actually test this stuff out with actual users before rolling it out?
I figured this statement would get thrown around after the upgrade. I'd like to point out that functional differences do not indicate a lack of testing. Perhaps a lack of communication (requirements gathering) with actual users, but not a lack of testing.

When we find functionality that is obviously broken, then we can start talking about testing.

Hang in there guys... I'm still setting some things up on the back end. You may have noticed now you have a few thread title prefixes you can use. Still getting mods set up and few other things. Also, check the How Do I threads above as I get them posted.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Last posts (by whom and time posted) can still be seen from the message board home screen in the right hand column (Last Message). The drop down seems to have been replaced by the "Quick Navigation" panel, which will allow you to navigate from message board to message board

It's different on mobile. And now you don't have a choice of which version you want to see on mobile.

The message board home screen doesn't show who posted the last message. Even if it showed who posted the last message on that board, I was referencing the ability to see who posted last in each individual thread like could previously be done.

The "quick navigation" panel on the mobile is simply called "menu." You click on that, then "forums," then which forum you want. It, at best, is at least one more step than the previous version and also doesn't show who posted last.

I would embed screenshots in this message to show you, but in order to do that, I would have to upload each picture to an image sharing site and then come back over here to paste the link . . . instead of just embedding the image saved on my phone/computer.

I would embed screenshots in this message to show you, but in order to do that, I would have to upload each picture to an image sharing site and then come back over here to paste the link . . . instead of just embedding the image saved on my phone/computer.

Being able to upload a pic straight to the board is a feature they're working on. Right now they're choosing not to host that incredible amount of pics at this point. Site publishers are on their back about it though.

What URL are you using, Rifle? Standard herdnation.com?

The page should render on mobile devices just as is does on a desktop.

Should being the operative word.

Yeah, I'm just using the regular address. Before, I could access the regular desktop version on my phone with that address and the mobile site with the mobile address. Now, when I just use the regular address, it takes me to the desktop version of the front/main page, but when I click on a forum, it takes me to the mobile site . . . or whatever it is now.

And the link you gave me shows me who started each thread, but not who the last post was made by in each thread. So, if I'm following multiple threads, I'll either have to remember the time each last post was made or the post count to see if it has any additions. The "watch" function is just another step I would have to take for each thread I'm interested in reading since I can't see who the last post was made by now. That means less time for me to look at the bikinis waking by.

where's the message board?
why in hell do we keep screwing things up in the name of progress?
I am lost!!!!

Reactions: Mike Gwinn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT