ADVERTISEMENT

Now can they stop saying they're self supporting???

For the exception of a few rare extremely-wealthy private schools who get in the mix, there are two kinds of football schools: giant land-grant schools with stacks of blank checks from their respective state legislatures, and everybody else.

Marshall fans need to realize that WVU isn't self-supporting, has never been self-supporting, will never be self-supporting, and it'll never matter. Sure its unfair, but if you find yourself debating a WVU fan about the comparative legitimacy of Marshall athletics, stop. You're just wasting your time. Very few of their fans have any understanding of the reality of how college athletics are funded, and none of the rest are interested in learning.

This article is pointing out the reality - that the schools with the blank checks are separating from those without them, and the price of playing ball is just going to escalate on their level. Virginia is moving to stop their smaller schools from unfairly burdening their students with massive fees for the sake of trying to throw water on some shoulderpads and seeing if a P5 magically grows out of it (Old Dominion).

The smart schools on our level are the ones who will stop using terms like "arms race," and start throwing around terms like "sensible expenditure."

LOL. The state built and paid for their IPF , we built and paid for our own IAF. The state built their football stadium, and their basketball coliseum. Thats self supporting? LOL? Honestly do you think you can reason with people that burn couches in a drunken range, beat up pregnant mothers in parking lots and hire coaches that dress like good fellas that smell like breweries?

LOL, NO!!! You can't reason logically with that level of IQ? It's all accounting and how they want to make it look.

CT to reply in 3.....2......1.......

Interesting that MAC schools are very heavily subsidized. We aren't as bad as I thought. The WVU fans will point that out but again, the huge disparity in overall funding and the dreaded pop tax, should shut them up.

I wish we didn't have to rely on state funds as much but clearly, only a handful of schools are truly self supporting athletically. Overall I contend our fans support the program well.

Oregon has it made. Nice surplus, plus having the head of Nike as a grad and your primary donor. Sweet deal for the Ducks.

Last edited:
CT to reply in 3.....2......1.......

"Let me start by saying I have a degree from Marshall and love all things Marshall. blah blah blah blah rant about how Marshall is on par with Glenville and should drop football."

-CTMountaineer

"Self supporting" is THE Big Lie. Spamspew has changed over the years, but the Big Lie remains constant. (And, BTW, while the USAT figures are accurate on a cash basis, they leave out the hidden subsidies of state-built and maintained facilities, and the charging off of athletic related expenses to the general budget, and the $20M "loan" taken from the state to pay off the Leastleftovers, which will never be repaid, all of which make the subsidy far greater.)

The Big Lie is so stupid that only a moron could believe it. For decades, Hoppy and Crap-ridi and Vingleberry and Hick-man, and the others in the Spamspew amen chorus have fad this crowd this Big Lie.

And, as I have said, if they would just admit the truth, NO ONE WOULD CARE. 50 Marshall fans would laugh, 50 anti-sports left wingnuts and 50 anti-tax right wingnuts, would howl, and NOBODY ELSE WOULD CARE.

Why lose all crediability by saying thing that are so patently false.

BTW, notice that NONE of our local Spamtards will point to any thing that contradicts USAT. Just spew. Because no contradictory material exists.

Unless you want to say Eddie Pastalong and Ollie (everything I touch turns to s***) Luck have committed perjury.

Sounds like your are jealous MU is and always will be considered the bastard child to the State Government

Jealous of what? That WVU is the laughing stock of college football fans? WVU is a running joke every fall on ESPN and other outlets as your fans continue to embarrass the school and state with their tirades and antics. Are you proud of that?

What stood out to me more is that ODU, a team that some on here wanted to call FCS because they had a team very similar to what we had in 2012, has $11m more in athletic revenue than we do.

Reactions: Herd020
Psychological projection or projection bias is a psychological defense mechanism where a person subconsciously denies his or her own attributes, thoughts, and emotions, which are then ascribed to the outside world, usually to other people.

"Self supporting" is THE Big Lie. Spamspew has changed over the years, but the Big Lie remains constant. (And, BTW, while the USAT figures are accurate on a cash basis, they leave out the hidden subsidies of state-built and maintained facilities, and the charging off of athletic related expenses to the general budget, and the $20M "loan" taken from the state to pay off the Leastleftovers, which will never be repaid, all of which make the subsidy far greater.)

The Big Lie is so stupid that only a moron could believe it. For decades, Hoppy and Crap-ridi and Vingleberry and Hick-man, and the others in the Spamspew amen chorus have fad this crowd this Big Lie.

And, as I have said, if they would just admit the truth, NO ONE WOULD CARE. 50 Marshall fans would laugh, 50 anti-sports left wingnuts and 50 anti-tax right wingnuts, would howl, and NOBODY ELSE WOULD CARE.

Why lose all crediability by saying thing that are so patently false.

BTW, notice that NONE of our local Spamtards will point to any thing that contradicts USAT. Just spew. Because no contradictory material exists.

Unless you want to say Eddie Pastalong and Ollie (everything I touch turns to s***) Luck have committed perjury.

I love it how you Herdiots give us "self supporting" grief when it was Marshall who was an OT loss to Western Kentucky away from a multi million dollar bowl payday.

I love it how you Herdiots give us "self supporting" grief when it was Marshall who was an OT loss to Western Kentucky away from a multi million dollar bowl payday.

I love how you wannabe wvu graduates give us "OT grief" when it was wvu who were 5 points shy of beating a 4-7 Pitt team in 2007 away from a BCS National Championship.

Reactions: Herd020
ADVERTISEMENT