ADVERTISEMENT

Religion: ain't it grand

Rates of religiosity are plummeting, but I still can't wrap my mind around how otherwise intelligent people believe in mythology and superstition. Especially given all the information available at our fingertips. Childhood indoctrination is a very powerful thing.

Yes, advanced like Stalin's Russia, Mao's China, and Hitler's Germany. #atheismkills

Enjoy these last few decades of living off the civilizing fumes of Western Christianity before we return back to our barbarian ways...

I'm f**ked in the head because some Indians killed some buffalo? Strong leap.

The idea of animal sacrifice certainly isn't new to religion. I know that the Mayas sacrificed animals to appease the Gods over 2000 years ago and on occasion humans. Later the Aztecs were big into human sacrifice. I'm not as knowledgable as some on religion so maybe Keep can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't animal sacrifice practiced in Judaism? Also I thought I read somewhere along the line that that the New Testament mentioned Doves being sacrificed by by Joseph and Mary at the birth of Jesus. And isn't the whole "lamb of God" thing a symbolic term representing the sacrifice on the cross of Jesus?

No point here and I'm not coming down on either side of the issue other than to say animal sacrifice has been around since man has equated blood to life.

The idea of animal sacrifice certainly isn't new to religion. I know that the Mayas sacrificed animals to appease the Gods over 2000 years ago and on occasion humans. Later the Aztecs were big into human sacrifice. I'm not as knowledgable as some on religion so maybe Keep can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't animal sacrifice practiced in Judaism? Also I thought I read somewhere along the line that that the New Testament mentioned Doves being sacrificed by by Joseph and Mary at the birth of Jesus. And isn't the whole "lamb of God" thing a symbolic term representing the sacrifice on the cross of Jesus?

No point here and I'm not coming down on either side of the issue other than to say animal sacrifice has been around since man has equated blood to life.

Yes, the sacrificial system of the Temple in Judaism includes myriads of animal sacrifice, yet with one key difference (and this is not just me making excuses to appease 21st Century stomachs). The purpose of the sacrificing of the lamb on the Day of Atonement, as an example, was not to temporarily "appease" a wrathful God (see 1 Sam 15:22), but to remind the Israelites (and us when we go back and read about it today) of the consequences of sin and transgressing the law of God, that payment had to be made for it, and that ultimately would come in the form of the aforementioned "lamb of God" who sacrificed Himself for His sheep through both His life (Philippians 2:5-11) and death (2 Cor 5:18-21).

Now the Jews today do not sacrifice because there is no Temple.

BC...I hate these kind of arguments because I support people's right to believe as they choose. But it's been much less than 2000 years since christianity "advanced". For example, when the Spanish conquistadors came to the Americas in the 1500s they were appalled at the barbarity of the Aztecs and Incas practice of human ritual sacrificing. But they were guilty of committing just as egregious acts of barbarisms against the people they were "converting" then the acts being committed by them.

Although I don't agree with the baiting nature of rifles OP, his premise about religion includes christianity up until very recently. But I'm sure that christians can easily defend that by saying that these are acts of men and these acts are not condoned by christianity.

BC...I hate these kind of arguments because I support people's right to believe as they choose. But it's been much less than 2000 years since christianity "advanced". For example, when the Spanish conquistadors came to the Americas in the 1500s they were appalled at the barbarity of the Aztecs and Incas practice of human ritual sacrificing. But they were guilty of committing just as egregious acts of barbarisms against the people they were "converting" then the acts being committed by them.

Although I don't agree with the baiting nature of rifles OP, his premise about religion includes christianity up until very recently. But I'm sure that christians can easily defend that by saying that these are acts of men and these acts are not condoned by christianity.

Well there is a difference right?

What the Spaniards did violated the Sixth and Eighth Commandments.

That really is not a part of the argument of lawfully carrying out a religious act.

Were they doing that as an act of religion or the fact they were an occupying force trying to take over territory in the name of a King or Nation?

Both actually. I have no doubt that greed and monetary gain were the main goal, but they certainly justified their treatment of the Native Americans with Christianity. Priest and religious people accompanied the conquistadors for the sole purpose of converting natives. Your point is well taken and I've argued that greed and the desire to get rich was the main objective, but we cannot discount how the moral authority to do this was based on their religious beliefs.

Christians still haven't advanced nearly enough. Sure, they're more advanced than Muslims, but Muslims were more advanced than Muslims in fifty years ago. And let's not used the word "advanced" in the same sentence with any religion. Your religion was written by goat-herders thousands of years ago. Religion is literally the least advanced part of modern civilization.

Christians still haven't advanced nearly enough. Sure, they're more advanced than Muslims, but Muslims were more advanced than Muslims in fifty years ago. And let's not used the word "advanced" in the same sentence with any religion. Your religion was written by goat-herders thousands of years ago. Religion is literally the least advanced part of modern civilization.

Do you mean "advanced" like Stalin or "advanced" like Mao?

Rifle/murox...what does your non-belief in God contribute to society that Chrisians don't?

Rifle/murox...what does your non-belief in God contribute to society that Chrisians don't?

The same thing that your non-belief in Buddhism and Islam contributes. But we're not supporting oppressive policies because some fictional superhero's book says to. Or demanding others adhere to our dark age thinking.

It would be good to lead a Christian life, but I still don't have nearly enough evidence to believe in the ultimate premise of it.

Why do we have to have this seemingly false promise of eternal life in heaven or a false threat of devils and hellfire just to sell us on living by the rules?

It would be good to lead a Christian life, but I still don't have nearly enough evidence to believe in the ultimate premise of it.

Why do we have to have this seemingly false promise of eternal life in heaven or a false threat of devils and hellfire just to sell us on living by the rules?

The entire premise is asinine. A perfect, omniscient god created a flawed, imperfect being in his own image. After creating the flawed being, he condemns it to an ETERNITY of suffering and misery if his creation doesn't unconditionally love and worship him. Oh, and he relies on the telephone game to get the word out that he exists. No other evidence whatsoever.

I think it has a great set of values and rules to live by. If you can follow that way of life, I think it could be pretty rewarding. Not after you die, but while you live.

And once you start living that great life all the time, you'll have it so good that you won't want it to end. Thus, the promise of the afterlife.

Although it won't be delivered, those who fully believe it will die in true bliss. The fallacy of their beliefs will never be revealed since they will simply pass on to a heavenly oblivion.

Should I be jealous of those who can fully buy in? I can't. I know the ruse. Does everyone else know it too and they're just faking? People are bigtime fakers. That's a big reason I'm a reclusive hermit. Can't play the faker game.

I remember when the old man passed away. To my knowledge, he had never stepped foot in a Church before, other than for a few select weddings, and even then, he showed up with whiskey on his breath. I remember the pastor at his funeral, talking about how the old man had found 'God' right before he passed, and that how he knew the old man was going to heaven. Really? How can they stand there at the pulpit and keep a straight face at some of these funerals? Even the Clintons aren't that good at lying. If this is true though, then this is the way to do it. Live a wonderful life full of sin, and then find God right before they pull the tubes out. No sense getting up on Sunday morning for that, when you can fore go all of your sins right before that last breath.

The same thing that your non-belief in Buddhism and Islam contributes. But we're not supporting oppressive policies because some fictional superhero's book says to. Or demanding others adhere to our dark age thinking.

I don't demand anybody do anything. What about your ardent support for the murdering of millions of innocent babies that otherwise could have possibly turned into the next great scientist? Out of all those millions of babies, one of them may have found a cure for AIDS or cancer, yet you support their slaughter like a barbarian. Your support for abortion directly affects science negatively far more than anybody's belief in God.

Live a wonderful life full of sin, and then find God right before they pull the tubes out.

All that gets you is a little bit of relief at the very end. Doesn't fix all those awful years. Sin really is bad and leads to a life of anger and aggravation. That's why it would be nice to lead a Christian life, but just in the name of trying to enjoy what time we have instead of being scared into it for some grand reward beyond what we've got.

The reward must be here and now. This is it.

I don't demand anybody do anything. What about your ardent support for the murdering of millions of innocent babies that otherwise could have possibly turned into the next great scientist? Out of all those millions of babies, one of them may have found a cure for AIDS or cancer, yet you support their slaughter like a barbarian. Your support for abortion directly affects science negatively far more than anybody's belief in God.

I agree. Don't tell us how good you are and then support modern day genocide all in the name of the right to choose. Call it for what it is: A mulligan on birth control.

Hello since you decided to bad mouth Christianity I thought I might remind you of a few things it has done.

1) Hospitals, which essentially began during the Middle Ages.

(2) Universities, which also began during the Middle Ages. In addition, most of the world’s greatest universities were started for Christian purposes.

(3) Literacy and education for the masses.

(4) Capitalism and free enterprise.

(5) Representative government, particularly as it has been seen in the American experiment.

(6) The separation of political powers.

(7) Civil liberties.

(8) The abolition of slavery, both in antiquity and in more modern times.

(9) Modern science.

(10) The discovery of the New World by Columbus.

(11) The elevation of women.

(12) Benevolence and charity; the good Samaritan ethic.

(13) Higher standards of justice.

(14) The elevation of common man.

I traveled to Haiti a year ago. I didn't see any atheists there helping the people there rebuild their nation. I did see lots of Christians.

I remember when the old man passed away. To my knowledge, he had never stepped foot in a Church before, other than for a few select weddings, and even then, he showed up with whiskey on his breath. I remember the pastor at his funeral, talking about how the old man had found 'God' right before he passed, and that how he knew the old man was going to heaven. Really? How can they stand there at the pulpit and keep a straight face at some of these funerals? Even the Clintons aren't that good at lying. If this is true though, then this is the way to do it. Live a wonderful life full of sin, and then find God right before they pull the tubes out. No sense getting up on Sunday morning for that, when you can fore go all of your sins right before that last breath.

Just another example of christians' perverted thought process. Jeffrey Dahmer can still go to heaven. But there are starving children in Africa who will burn for eternity in a lake of fire for having the misfortune of never hearing of Christianity. It's outrageous that people believe that could happen.

I traveled to Haiti a year ago. I didn't see any atheists there helping the people there rebuild their nation. I did see lots of Christians.

There is so much to rip apart with your message and BC's. But, this is just too good.

Know why you didn't notice any atheists? It's for the same reason homophobes think all gays are flamboyant and wear mesh sleeveless shirts with leather boyshorts all day.

You didn't notice any atheists because they weren't doing the good deed in exchange for a chance to turn it into missionary work. The atheists weren't stripping away the good deed in exchange for the opportunity to champion their religion.

You may not, but you're aware that MANY Christian organizations demand others fall in line with Biblical scripture, right? I mean, there are consenting adults in America who can't marry because of the christian lobby.

Your abortion claim is comical. I support abortion because I support freedom and the individual over everything. If I don't have control over my own body, then what rights do I have?

Just another example of christians' perverted thought process. Jeffrey Dahmer can still go to heaven. But there are starving children in Africa who will burn for eternity in a lake of fire for having the misfortune of never hearing of Christianity. It's outrageous that people believe that could happen.

What group of people in Africa have never heard of God?

You may not, but you're aware that MANY Christian organizations demand others fall in line with Biblical scripture, right? I mean, there are consenting adults in America who can't marry because of the christian lobby.

Your abortion claim is comical. I support abortion because I support freedom and the individual over everything. If I don't have control over my own body, then what rights do I have?

If I say I am going to kill myself should someone try to stop me?

You're right. It's getting increasingly rare because so many Christians are manipulating third-world children with missionary work.

Yes, we will build you guys a school. Yes, we will help you get water easier. But, only if we can build you a church and come back every year to make sure you sold-out your old religion and now follow Christianity.

You're right. It's getting increasingly rare because so many Christians are manipulating third-world children with missionary work.

Yes, we will build you guys a school. Yes, we will help you get water easier. But, only if we can build you a church and come back every year to make sure you sold-out your old religion and now follow Christianity.

Well go build those things yourself if you care so much. No strings attached.

The reason for your support of abortion is irrelevent, although you don't truly support individuals if you support murdering them. You're being selective in your support.

The topic at hand is slowing the progress of science, right? Abortion is directly responsible for millions and millions of people who were never born. Surely a few thousand or so would have grown to be scientists. My belief in God does nothing to stifle science whatsoever.

Yeah, the real stifle's gonna come when the government pays off whoever develops the cure for cancer, to destroy any evidence of it or be killed.

You don't think there are isolated indigenous people of Africa who have never heard of the Christian god? Hell, there are tribal cultures in the Amazon who have never had contact with the outside world.

If even one person in the history of the world was sent to an eternity of suffering for never hearing of your god, he would be an unjust, perverted god.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT