ADVERTISEMENT

Roku

Always The Herd

Silver Buffalo
Feb 3, 2007
Do any of you have the Roku that is sold at Sam's (and maybe Wal-Mart)? Do you like it? How do you use it with your TV? Can you use it with an antenna (not cable)?
~
Roku HDMI Streaming Stick
~

I've had it for a couple of years. Have watched a couple of Herd games this year using it and the picture was terrific. Always a lot of games available thru espn3 every Saturday.

You plug it into your tv through an HDMI cable. It doesn't use cable or broadcast; it only shows video from certain online streaming services. It works with Netflix and Amazion Video along with a bunch of other smaller streaming services. If you don't have any of those it probably isn't worth getting, though if you do and don't have a smart TV it probably is worth getting.

I have the Roku 3, it is better getting a device in which you can plug an Ethernet cable into as wireless is slower and has higher latency.

I have a Roku 3 and love it. We also have Apple TV but I prefer the roku (with mirroring on Apple TV being the exception).

I watch hbo go, showtime anytime, wwe network, and amazon prime. During basketball season I watched a ton of games on ESPN 3. Other apps like youtube and ustream or vimeo are good as well.

In my opinion I'd never buy another "smart tv," I'd just get a roku to use and save yourself money and a clunky smart tv interface. If you don't use any of the above apps/services though, it's not a must have.

So.....my current cable and internet provider is Suddenlink. Let's just say right now (for an example only) that I don't get ESPN in my list of Suddenlink channels. Would I be able to use the Roku and then be able to view ESPN?
~

Originally posted by Always The Herd:
So.....my current cable and internet provider is Suddenlink. Let's just say right now (for an example only) that I don't get ESPN in my list of Suddenlink channels. Would I be able to use the Roku and then be able to view ESPN?
~
No. You have to login (only once) with your isp/cable service user name/password for each app (ESPN, HBO, Showtime, etc).

I am confused.....which is not hard for me to do.......could you explain this
to me in more detail?
~

If you have an iphone, MAC, or other apple devices, consider the Apple TV.

If not, Roku seems to be the best. I really wish my apple tv had that neat headphone feature.

Originally posted by Always The Herd:
I am confused.....which is not hard for me to do.......could you explain this
to me in more detail?
~
You can't watch TV channels on it. Some TV channels have services where you can stream shows. Some of those are free and some cost money. ESPN's is free BUT is only offered if you have certain cable providers. If your provider doesn't carry ESPN they won't be one of the ones it works with.

The main use of a Roku is to watch Netflix/Hulu/Amazon on your TV.

All of these choices and options to consume various content through various products and providers. And to think we were told in another thread that this vary thing is being.... "stifled".
laugh.r191677.gif

I've used a Roku for roughly a year. We haven't had cable tv in almost as long. We have Netflix and Amazon prime. It also has a great YouTube app that will work in conjunction with your phone/iPad.

Two thumbs up for Roku.

We've been streaming Netflix thru Wii and PS4. Just this month, through Armstrong Cable, I received an email stating we're approaching 250gig limit and after that 250 it would be $10 per 50gig

Anyone else having these usage problems?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

250 gig is a pretty low limit. I likely burn through that every month, sometime a couple times over. Streaming video uses a lot of data.

I would say to see if you can switch plans, but $10 per 50 gig is actually pretty reasonable.

Go with the Roku 3....not the Roku stick.

With the latest software upgrade you can stream from your pad ( whatever is on the screen ) to your Roku and TV. Just mirror your pad to your Roku and you're good to go ( Note: this is still in the Beta version and has some kinks but it will get worked out )

Not only can you get every streaming app available ( Netfilx, Hulu, YouTube, whatever ) but the capability to stream whatever you see on your pad is a very big plus. I tried streaming the video from American Sports Network this weekend for the Herd game but it hiccupped...still, I feel confident that Roku will get this out of Beta and into the full feature set in the next couple of months.

I have had a Roku 3 for the last year and I couldn't be happier.

smokin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by herdfan06:
I have the Roku 3, it is better getting a device in which you can plug an Ethernet cable into as wireless is slower and has higher latency.
I have a Brighthouse Networks ( Fl provider ) 10 Mbps connection and mine works flawlessly. Never once have my Netflix or Amazon Prime had a hiccup.

Not. Once.
smokin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by HerdChemist89:
I have a Brighthouse Networks ( Fl provider ) 10 Mbps connection and mine works flawlessly. Never once have my Netflix or Amazon Prime had a hiccup.

Not. Once.
smokin.r191677.gif

Your internet provider does not have anything to do with the latency/potential interference of the wireless signal, outside of the router they provide (if they provide one at all).

Originally posted by HerdChemist89:

Not. Once.
smokin.r191677.gif

Your internet provider does not have anything to do with the latency/potential interference of the wireless signal, outside of the router they provide (if they provide one at all).

I know, maybe I should have been more specific. I have a Motorola Surfboard cable modem paired with a plain vanilla Netgear WNR 2000 $40.00 Walmart router.

Still, I have no latency problems with either Roku or my Galaxy Tab 4. Everything seems to stream just fine to those two devices. I also have a Visio 20" smart TV in the bedroom ( hate big TVs in the bedroom ) and it works fine with Netflix, Amazon, etc as well.

10Mbps download bandwidth is all I need. I live here with my GF a couple of nights a week and a dog. Fortunately for me, my curent plan is a legacy, as nowadays they will offer you either a 5 Mbps or a 30 Mbps bandwidth plan with nothing in between. New Brighthouse customers now pay more for the puny 5 Mbps plan than I pay for my 10 Mbps....

I never had issues with Time Warner, but hated them. So I switched to AT&T. For several months, there were hiccups during peak usage hours (prime time) trying to watch both Netflix and Amazon Prime with my Roku. Those issues seem to have been resolved. Streaming is pretty seamless these days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT