ADVERTISEMENT

So No Drones Allowed

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
NEW ORLEANS — The Sun Belt Conference issued public reprimands of James Madison University and Marshall University due to violations of NCAA rules during their respective football games on Saturday, Sept. 23.

The violations resulted from the in-game use of communication equipment in the team area for James Madison and a drone flying over the field when squad members were present during team introductions for Marshall.

The Sun Belt Conference considers this matter concluded.

NEW ORLEANS — The Sun Belt Conference issued public reprimands of James Madison University and Marshall University due to violations of NCAA rules during their respective football games on Saturday, Sept. 23.

The violations resulted from the in-game use of communication equipment in the team area for James Madison and a drone flying over the field when squad members were present during team introductions for Marshall.

The Sun Belt Conference considers this matter concluded.

It was worth any league fine. One of the best videos I have seen.

I watched a game earlier this year and the referee stopped the game until a drone cleared the stadium.

That thing buzzed right over my head while tailgating. Couldn’t have been more than 8-9 off the ground. The video was cool though.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
The JMU incident was great. After a call that Cignetti disagreed with, he grabbed a cell phone from somebody on the sideline and tried showing the refs the instant replay on the television game feed in an angry manner. Of course, that’s highly illegal, and one of the officials swiped at the phone.

Random note: Cignetti’s daughter just married the brother of a former Marshall cheerleader.

The drone video was cool... Just needed to do the inside the stadium part about 3 minutes earlier before the teams were out of their locker rooms. Apparently we broke the rules because the drone was overhead while the teams were on the field... No harm, no foul.

Animated GIF

Thanks, SBC.

Someone at Marshall might want to seriously read the FAA regulations. In addition some states have adopted their own laws and regulations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Someone at Marshall might want to seriously read the FAA regulations. In addition some states have adopted their own laws and regulations.
The operator of the drone was licensed and MU didn't break any FAA rules... We broke an NCAA rule about not taking drone footage while players are on the field (they were just warming up, but they were on the field).

The operator of the drone was licensed and MU didn't break any FAA rules... We broke an NCAA rule about not taking drone footage while players are on the field (they were just warming up, but they were on the field).
Yehh flying over a crowded stadium? Might want to check into that. In NC you can't even fly it over it a school or take someone's picture without consentn now. That part is state law in NC. I know the game was in WV but, the FAA has rules about flying over people and crowded venues. They absolutely do. Especially stadiums the size of Marshall. There are specfic rules for stadium size, MLB Baseball, NFL, and D1 football games. Then, gathering of large crowds.

It doesn't matter if they have a license or not. Someobody is not using common sense. It is right there on the FAA web site.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbneutralfan
Yehh flying over a crowded stadium? Might want to check into that. In NC you can't even fly it over it a school or take someone's picture without consentn now.
Shucks, I was planning on flying my drone over the nudist beaches in North Carolina,

Yehh flying over a crowded stadium? Might want to check into that. In NC you can't even fly it over it a school or take someone's picture without consentn now. That part is state law in NC. I know the game was in WV but, the FAA has rules about flying over people and crowded venues. They absolutely do. Especially stadiums the size of Marshall. There are specfic rules for stadium size, MLB Baseball, NFL, and D1 football games. Then, gathering of large crowds.

It doesn't matter if they have a license or not. Someobody is not using common sense. It is right there on the FAA web site.
Yeah.... the FAA does provide waivers to properly licensed drone pilots. Not a factor in this situation. Merely the timing with athletes on the field.

Reactions: rvntx
Yeah.... the FAA does provide waivers to properly licensed drone pilots. Not a factor in this situation. Merely the timing with athletes on the field.
Flying over a stadium like Marshalls under 3000 agl with a UAS is a no.go. frankly, it is a violation of federal law. What would Marshall do if the bird lost control and went into the crowd? It is right in the FAA website. It is also using poor judgement.

Last edited:
Flying over a stadium like Marshalls under 3000 agl with a UAS is a no.go. frankly, it is a violation of federal law. What would Marshall do if the bird lost control and went into the crowd? It is right in the FAA website. It is also using poor judgement.

What if part if the stadium collapsed? Caught fire? Aliens landed? It didn't crash into the fans or stands. Love the call and it was worth the risk IMO.

Frankly, they had a waiver from the FAA... And Frankly, as per usual, you are making something a big deal that was literally a two sentence reprimand from the conference. The feds aren't raiding our communications office.

The drone flyover was three minutes later than it was supposed to be. VT and MU had players warming up. It's an NCAA violation, and was addressed as such.

We have teams of people that work on stuff like this, but I will be sure to pass your email along if they have any federal aviation law questions.

The drone video was cool... Just needed to do the inside the stadium part about 3 minutes earlier before the teams were out of their locker rooms. Apparently we broke the rules because the drone was overhead while the teams were on the field... No harm, no foul.
Yea, but I think the whole point of the video was to get the runout onto the field.

Shucks, I was planning on flying my drone over the nudist beaches in North Carolina,
You don't really want to do that. Those that frequent those beaches are not the ones you want at those beaches. Enjoy all the footage of middle aged men in permanent sweaters.

Frankly, they had a waiver from the FAA... And Frankly, as per usual, you are making something a big deal that was literally a two sentence reprimand from the conference. The feds aren't raiding our communications office.

The drone flyover was three minutes later than it was supposed to be. VT and MU had players warming up. It's an NCAA violation, and was addressed as such.

We have teams of people that work on stuff like this, but I will be sure to pass your email along if they have any federal aviation law questions.
Let's hope they did..The FAA doesn't care about their comms with other teams, that wasn't the point. If they did, good for them. Wasn't trying to ruffle feathers.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT