ADVERTISEMENT

Sunbelt WR rankings

We need to address WR after the spring. Surely some guys from other schools might want to look for a better opportunity at MU once the spring reveals some things.

Reactions: 31Herd55
I know the coaches really like Harrison... We need to see what the Robinson kid we got from Florida State last year can do. He wasn't an ESPN top 300 prospect coming out of high school for nothing.

We should be ok at wide receiver as we have veterans coming back and a good running game to compliment them.
I like Charles Montgomery, but not one single WR has shown they can be a true #1 WR. If you don't have that dude on the outside that commands the attention of the defense at all times then you're going to struggle to move the ball efficiently. You can't just have a bunch of possession guys running short routes and expect to be very successful.

I like Charles Montgomery, but not one single WR has shown they can be a true #1 WR. If you don't have that dude on the outside that commands the attention of the defense at all times then you're going to struggle to move the ball efficiently. You can't just have a bunch of possession guys running short routes and expect to be very successful.
I believe the offensive line will be better this year and that will help along with a good running QB . Also , dont forget McMillan who has good speed and he could surprisee.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I believe the offensive line will be better this year and that will help along with a good running QB . Also , dont forget McMillan who has good speed and he could surprisee.
I'm still waiting on Caleb Coombs to live up to his 4-star hype.

Reactions: Jartard
The New England Patriots did.

I imagine the coaching staff understands just how dire our WR situation is. I look forward to what they do to address it after spring ball.

We need to address WR after the spring. Surely some guys from other schools might want to look for a better opportunity at MU once the spring reveals some things.
Why would they??? We don’t have much of a passing scheme, no good QB, and a questionable QB coach. We are known as a run first team that passes out of desperation.

Why would they??? We don’t have much of a passing scheme, no good QB, and a questionable QB coach. We are known as a run first team that passes out of desperation.
Nonsense. We have a good QB who showed it as a freshman last year and young backups who are going to be good. Sure we run first with one of the best backs in the country in Ali and a Qb that can run also.

Didn’t see much WR flash at practice today. A few decent contested catches, but little separation.

EJ Horton is entering the portal, so that doesn't seem to help matters.

EDIT: Looks like he was arrested back in March for domestic assault. I was unaware of that.

Last edited:
Assuming the playbook looks similar to last year, we really need three different kinds of receivers in order to be more explosive...

1. The little quick, jittery, guy -- On the outside that can catch WR screens and make something happen. Let's face it, we are going to keep using the WR screen as our most prominent pass play so we need a guy that can consistently make positive yards. (This will by Montgomery's spot)

2. The possession guy -- In the slot, comfortable running 5-10 yard routes either over the middle or to the sideline. Can occasionally take advantage of a matchup with an LB or SS and get downfield, but most of his work is within 10-12 yards of the line of scrimmage. Ala Tommy Shuler. (This will be Jayden Harrison's spot)

3. The home run hitter -- Big, tall, fast guy on the outside that can beat his man of the snap and get behind the secondary. He may only give you 2-3 catches a game, but they are chunk plays that force the defense to move guys out of the box and thus free up the running game. (McMillan? Keaton? Robinson? Odoms?)

We also need to find a pass catching TE... Our offense would improve drastically if the TE didn't stay on the line and block so much. Having a big, physical TE that can work down the seem, or box out a linebacker and make a tough catch. would be a big step forward especially in the red zone.

I think Horton transferred because he knew the above positions were filled.
I believe they're:

1- Montgomery
2- Demarcus Harris - 6'1" 183lb Portal from UK
3- Coombs - I expect a big R-So. season from him.
TE- Luke Soto - Portal from UTEP

A bunch of stir of the guys not being faster off the line. We have some great coaches with our guys this year. Dobson, new TE coach.. I have alot of big hopes for the Herd this year.

Reactions: 31Herd55
The New England Patriots did.
We don't have Tom Brady at QB either. We've been playing possession football for the last several years. How's that worked out.

Nonsense. We have a good QB who showed it as a freshman last year and young backups who are going to be good. Sure we run first with one of the best backs in the country in Ali and a Qb that can run also.
Fancher is not a good QB.

Not saying this is the case, but could it be that some of the guys transferring out are getting pushed from the younger guys?

Glass half full thinking I know.
What other guys? Gammage left because he was promised 50k and Horton is gone because he got arrested for allegedly hitting his girlfriend.

Assuming the playbook looks similar to last year, we really need three different kinds of receivers in order to be more explosive...

1. The little quick, jittery, guy -- On the outside that can catch WR screens and make something happen. Let's face it, we are going to keep using the WR screen as our most prominent pass play so we need a guy that can consistently make positive yards. (This will by Montgomery's spot)

2. The possession guy -- In the slot, comfortable running 5-10 yard routes either over the middle or to the sideline. Can occasionally take advantage of a matchup with an LB or SS and get downfield, but most of his work is within 10-12 yards of the line of scrimmage. Ala Tommy Shuler. (This will be Jayden Harrison's spot)

3. The home run hitter -- Big, tall, fast guy on the outside that can beat his man of the snap and get behind the secondary. He may only give you 2-3 catches a game, but they are chunk plays that force the defense to move guys out of the box and thus free up the running game. (McMillan? Keaton? Robinson? Odoms?)

We also need to find a pass catching TE... Our offense would improve drastically if the TE didn't stay on the line and block so much. Having a big, physical TE that can work down the seem, or box out a linebacker and make a tough catch. would be a big step forward especially in the red zone.
We've had pass catching TEs the last couple years, but we are choosing to use them as blockers. Devin Miller and Toby Payne are both more than capable receiving TEs.

I think Horton transferred because he knew the above positions were filled.
I believe they're:

1- Montgomery
2- Demarcus Harris - 6'1" 183lb Portal from UK
3- Coombs - I expect a big R-So. season from him.
TE- Luke Soto - Portal from UTEP

A bunch of stir of the guys not being faster off the line. We have some great coaches with our guys this year. Dobson, new TE coach.. I have alot of big hopes for the Herd this year.
Horton would still be on the roster had he not been arrested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jartard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT