ADVERTISEMENT

Taking a Look at One of the Most Deconstructed Golf Swings

-Olen-

Gold Buffalo
Gold Member
Oct 12, 2002
I am a bit of a golf-swing geek (but not wonky enough to make some money as a swing coach). The linked article is an interesting look at Tiger Woods various golf swings over the decades, including his junior/amateur years, his hyper-successful years around 2001, and his most recent efforts with Sean Folely.

According to the article, Woods is looking back at his swing during his jr./am. years to re-invent his golf swing and rekindle that magic that he had for so many years. Overall, I think that is the best approach for Woods, as his swing was more natural and simple, using his body as it was at that time - moderate height and slender build. Having a slender build, Woods could (and did) use a narrow stance that allowed him that wide shoulder turn helping him generate significant power without having to strain his back and knees (as opposed to the drop-squat-straighten swing he used with Folely). The challenge for Woods now, somewhat obvious, is he has packed on quite a bit of muscle, which can limit how narrow that stance can be and (esp. with his shoulder muscles) limit the amount of turn he can generate now.

If Woods can translate the swing that was recorded yesterday onto the course, I think he can regain the form that put him in contention at the majors three out of every four. The quieter leg action should make his ball-striking more consistent, and get rid of the push-block and hard-hook misses that he seemed to suffer with (esp. under pressure) the last couple of years.

And it would be great for golf if we could get Tiger, Phil (and maybe even Leonard and Duval) playing well again to go with the newly minted major winners and the younger set threatening to break through.

Old Is New Again for Woods

Age is undefeated, even in golf. Particularly when injuries are involved.

Originally posted by CockyHerd:

Age is undefeated, even in golf. Particularly when injuries are involved.
That's the winner, right there. I'm a pretty decent golfer myself, playing anywhere from a 5 to 8 handicap, but being 54 years old, nagging elbow pains, shoulder aches, tired legs, etc simply take its toll on your ability to perform at an even keel. Sure, I'm capable of shooting a 72, but I'm also capable of shooting a 92 if I'm feeling like I'm 78 years old during any given round. (Not to mention, fvcked up on booze)

Originally posted by MichiganHerd:

I'm capable of shooting a 72, but I'm also capable of shooting a 92
i'm thinking they're talking about 18 hole rounds, not 9.

The swing that changed Woods' life was the one his ex wife took at his head.

As far as players, if you're looking for Americans to make a move this year, you better put your money on Speith, Fowler, Bubba, and Dustin Johnson (If he can stay off the coke).

Duval (Outside the Top 500) and Leonard (#307) are done. Phil is definitely on the backside of his career. His short game is finally beginning to fade and I believe his illness is giving him more trouble than he let's on.

Someone is definitely going to have to step up to challenge Rory.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT