ADVERTISEMENT

The Most Memorable Basketball Games of All Time

HD article (Chuck, one of his best efforts, cuz it was all quotes from former players)

Here are their fondest individual memories of the Field House:
SONNY ALLEN: "The atmosphere and the fans," said Allen, who played from 1956-59 with such stars as Hal Greer and Leo Byrd. "Our fans understood basketball. I don't know that they do now, but when we were playing, they understood the game and appreciated good play.

"They knew when you were doing your job. They didn't make excuses and they didn't blame it on the officials. They were good fans."
RANDY NOLL: "My No. 1 memory is when we won the MMI (Marshall Memorial Invitational) and played St. John's," recalled the 6-foot-8 Noll, whose 33 points and 21 rebounds led Marshall to a 110-107 overtime win over eighth-ranked St. John's on Dec. 18, 1971.
"What was really good about that was not points or all that stuff, it was about me coming of age for Marshall because they were waiting for me. I became a known player in that game. I became a name."
KEN LABANOWSKI: "It's got to be the Louisville game," said the 6-foot-7 bruiser, referring to MU's controversial 85-69 loss on Feb. 1, 1978. "I think they were ranked in the top five, maybe the top three (No. 9, actually. You play in the Field House, anything can happen. It was my freshman year with Greg White.

"The game was pretty close all the way and all of a sudden, I think it was Ricky Gallon, came down and gave me a little elbow. I was at half-court and I paid him back for what he did.

"The next thing I knew all hell broke loose. Then, Greg was somewhere around there and he got sucker punched. That was a great night. That was a lot of fun."
GARY ORSINI: "It was after the (Milwaukee Classic) tournament," he said, recalling an 88-81 win over Ohio on Dec. 30, 1971. "We played OU. Coach (Carl Tacy) said, 'If you win this one, you get to go home for two days.'
"And that crowd in that game. ... it felt like your feet were two feet off the floor. I know Mike (D'Antoni) and I were at midcourt and I was trying to talk to him and he was trying to talk to me and we're yelling. We were six inches apart and we couldn't hear each other."

BARRY DRISCOLL: "I played a lot of basketball," said Driscoll, a member of the 1971-72 Herd. "But I never saw a better home-court advantage than the Field House."
TEX WILLIAMS: "My last game we were playing the Cincinnati Bearcats and I was a senior," said the native of Artie, W.Va., referring to a 69-57 loss to No. 3 Cincinnati on March 4, 1961. "They had announced that I was going to receive some kind of award.
"My father, who was a coal miner, had never seen me play down here. They somehow or another got my dad down. My dad never went anywhere. ... other than the woods to hunt or the coal mines to work. He saw me walk out on the floor and receive a trophy for the Most Valuable Player Award on the team.

Reactions: KyMUfan and herd66
Donnie Jones return was a epic moment in Marshall sports.. I’m pretty sure the upper bleachers were about full that game, good thing they didn’t tarp them to soon.

• Haha
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
All great memories posted so far. How about this one. The very day the MAC kicked us out, we played the favored Bowling Green team in the Field House. The TKE Frat showed up wearing green and white tee shirts proclaiming MAC SUCKS on them. The crowd was in a frenzy and the Herd won easily. The BG coach's statement afterwards was no one could have beaten Marshall tonight.

GO HERD!!

All great memories posted so far. How about this one. The very day the MAC kicked us out, we played the favored Bowling Green team in the Field House. The TKE Frat showed up wearing green and white tee shirts proclaiming MAC SUCKS on them. The crowd was in a frenzy and the Herd won easily. The BG coach's statement afterwards was no one could have beaten Marshall tonight.

GO HERD!!
  • January 28, 1963: Bowling Green 84, Marshall 75
  • February 16, 1963: Bowling Green 91, Marshall 76
  • February 1, 1964: Bowling Green 96, Marshall 87
  • February 20, 1965: Bowling Green 72, Marshall 62
  • February 19, 1966: Bowling Green 91, Marshall 77
  • February 11, 1967: Marshall 95, Bowling Green 88
  • February 10, 1968: Bowling Green 94, Marshall 92 (2OT)
  • February 15, 1969: Bowling Green 80, Marshall 77
What a decade of futility! We only won that one game. So, Feb 11 1967 we caught lightning in a bottle. I believe Bob Redd was on that team….

I believe Marquette had a kid by the name of Tony Trotter who was their big star.

• January 28, 1963: Bowling Green 84, Marshall 75
  • February 16, 1963: Bowling Green 91, Marshall 76
  • February 1, 1964: Bowling Green 96, Marshall 87
  • February 20, 1965: Bowling Green 72, Marshall 62
  • February 19, 1966: Bowling Green 91, Marshall 77
  • February 11, 1967: Marshall 95, Bowling Green 88
  • February 10, 1968: Bowling Green 94, Marshall 92 (2OT)
  • February 15, 1969: Bowling Green 80, Marshall 77
What a decade of futility! We only won that one game. So, Feb 11 1967 we caught lightning in a bottle. I believe Bob Redd was on that team….
BG was really good during that time period. I believe the ‘63 team was led by the great Nate Thurmond and and a terrific guard Howard “Butch” Komives. Later in the ‘60’s they had one of the nations leading scorers in forward Walt Piatkowski

Reactions: KyMUfan

GO HERD!!
That wasn’t the TKE fraternity, Piper. Just a group of college friends. I was one of them. We had the shirts printed at Stationer’s that at that time was located across from East Tower dorm.

Reactions: KyMUfan
I would think BG & Toledo battled in out back then for MAC supremacy….
Yes. BG early in the decade and Toledo mid to late 60’s. The Marshall NIT teams could never finish ahead of Toledo to get the NCAA bid. The early 60’s MU really struggled thru the final years of the Jule Rivlin coaching tenure. Ellis Johnson came in starting in ‘63-64 and Marshall continue to struggle until he recruited the Redd/Stone group. The ‘64-65 “Baby Bombers” only won four games and the freshman games were better attended than the varsity game that followed

Yes. BG early in the decade and Toledo mid to late 60’s. The Marshall NIT teams could never finish ahead of Toledo to get the NCAA bid. The early 60’s MU really struggled thru the final years of the Jule Rivlin coaching tenure. Ellis Johnson came in starting in ‘63-64 and Marshall continue to struggle until he recruited the Redd/Stone group. The ‘64-65 “Baby Bombers” only won four games and the freshman games were better attended than the varsity game that followed
If memory serves me correctly the freshmen were undefeated that year with Orville Stepp averaging 29 points and George Stone 20 points per game.

Who was the player for WVU that quit the team basically mid game against Marshall fallowing a fight? …. Austin? 1982-83 season? I can’t remember but didn’t he become popular for like East Tennessee state?

The kid's name from Marquette was Terry Trotter. I also remember Nov. 27, 1981 when we went to the very first game in the Cam against Army. The construction folks barely got everything finished before we played that first game. We arrived and had to dust off our seats from the construction. The very next game was Dec. 5 against WVU. Charles Jones' mother sang the national anthem and I can still remember the fans chanting "Go Home Mountaineers" to the tune of Lets go Mountaineers. We won 91-78.

Also, I have a picture of the very last second of our last regular season game at the Field House against UTC on Feb. 14, 1981.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
The multiple overtime game vs the Mocs in Asheville SoCon tournament hands down. I have a copy of the Hucks Herd album with highlights of that game on there and pull it out from time to time, love reliving that game.

Reactions: 19MU88
The multiple overtime game vs the Mocs in Asheville SoCon tournament hands down. I have a copy of the Hucks Herd album with highlights of that game on there and pull it out from time to time, love reliving that game.
I think I have that album never opened from plastic wrap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT