ADVERTISEMENT

The Wire

HRHF

Platinum Buffalo
Jan 9, 2006
So I kind of had to force myself to keep watching this show. The first season didn't do much for me at all. Season two was marginally better. It started taking off a little in season three, but the fourth season is off the charts good. I've got one episode to go in season four, but it's been great. I'm starting to understand why this has been called the greatest show of all time.

It's maybe the most intricately constructed series I've personally watched. And its scope is nuts. You're not just following a team of cops. You're not just following the criminals. You're also following the politicians. I'm not sure if it's the best show ever, period. But it's probably the best cop show ever. Season One of True Detective was great, but it's really apples and oranges. That was more like a very long movie than an actual TV SERIES.

Is it on Netflix? I watched season 1 on DVD and loved it but never went to season 2 or beyond.

The inner city schools season is scary accurate with just enough embellishment to be entertaining . Those kid actors were amazing.

My wife was a program director for a non profit focused on inner city high schools - very similar to those in B'more. - and she confirmed the accuracy of that season.

The season you're referring to is the one I've been going through. It's great.

Just wait till you get to Season 5, you will be mad when you get to the end and left in disbelief that HBO cut the series.

And what's crazy is a lot of the actors are people that came straight from the streets of Baltimore

Originally posted by Herd Fever:
Just wait till you get to Season 5, you will be mad when you get to the end and left in disbelief that HBO cut the series.

And what's crazy is a lot of the actors are people that came straight from the streets of Baltimore
I've never been to Baltimore, but I feel like I have. It seems to capture the vibe of its setting more so than any other show I've ever watched.

This post was edited on 11/25 1:09 PM by HRHF

It's pretty spot on because it's based off true stories and real life drug dealers from Baltimore. Melvin Williams plays the church deacon and he was a big time drug dealer in Baltimore in the 70s and 80s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT