ADVERTISEMENT

Time to take a look at Huff!

You can't say definitively how a team would do with virtually no experience seeing it.
Doc got MU bowl eligible in his 2nd year at MU. Minus Houston (who was on fire at the time) and Tulsa, the CUSA losses weren't absolute blowouts...AKA competitive.
Hell, MU finished 2nd in the east behind Southern Miss, a team they beat that year.

As for his success due to talent...

So basically, he won because he recruited better players than everyone else?
He actually did what he was supposed to do and recruit?

Wow, that's like...the problem we're having now.
Doc holiday was another in a 3 Coach hiring trend that has sucked. Look at some of the horrible losses that he had during his tenure. Western Ky beat us 60-6 at home. Akron yes Akron scored 65 points against us also at home. The home game against Cincinnati was an all time embarrassing loss. We got embarrassed by Va Tech during a year they picked us to go bowl eligible. We found out later half the Va Tech team didn’t want to go to a bowl game and they still blew us out. He lost to Charlotte, ODU. The difference between Holiday, Snyder and Huff was schedule and even with playing a pitiful schedule most years we still only won one championship in the worst conference in DI.

We have made 3 straight really bad head coaching hires. If we do fire huff which I highly doubt we will considering we gave mr mediocre 11 seasons I see nothing that says we will get rid of Huff after 3 seasons. But once we do part ways we need to make a great hire there is zero reason that Marshall cannot be one of the top G5 programs in college football.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Doc holiday was another in a 3 Coach hiring trend that has sucked. Look at some of the horrible losses that he had during his tenure. Western Ky beat us 60-6 at home. Akron yes Akron scored 65 points against us also at home. The home game against Cincinnati was an all time embarrassing loss. We got embarrassed by Va Tech during a year they picked us to go bowl eligible. We found out later half the Va Tech team didn’t want to go to a bowl game and they still blew us out. He lost to Charlotte, ODU. The difference between Holiday, Snyder and Huff was schedule and even with playing a pitiful schedule most years we still only won one championship in the worst conference in DI.

We have made 3 straight really bad head coaching hires. If we do fire huff which I highly doubt we will considering we gave mr mediocre 11 seasons I see nothing that says we will get rid of Huff after 3 seasons. But once we do part ways we need to make a great hire there is zero reason that Marshall cannot be one of the top G5 programs in college football.

That's funny, given your list of bad losses, all happened in a single season, 2016. I'm not defending that year, it was terrible.
The rest? Cincy was getting to their absolute best. VT was better than we were and needed to win their game. They had reason to.
Once more, fools like yourself really think conference championships matter in regards to a value of a team.
How many CUSA titles did USM, ODU, and MU win from the time MU joined, who then got asked to go to a better conference?
I'm not gonna waste more time trying to reason with your obvious inability to understand the landscape of college sports. It's the simpleton mindset who don't like reading books if there aren't pictures, same with people who really think conference titles matter most.

• Haha
Reactions: mlblack16.
That's funny, given your list of bad losses, all happened in a single season, 2016. I'm not defending that year, it was terrible.
The rest? Cincy was getting to their absolute best. VT was better than we were and needed to win their game. They had reason to.
Once more, fools like yourself really think conference championships matter in regards to a value of a team.
How many CUSA titles did USM, ODU, and MU win from the time MU joined, who then got asked to go to a better conference?
I'm not gonna waste more time trying to reason with your obvious inability to understand the landscape of college sports. It's the simpleton mindset who don't like reading books if there aren't pictures, same with people who really think conference titles matter most.
And the Herd Nation's annual Prick of The Year award goes to...

The majority of the fanbase wanted John Holliday gone for the lack of Conference titles, among many other reasons, but I guess everyone else is wrong and you're right?

I don't know why you're so bothered by that, but whatever.

A programs market is the most important thing in realignment. However, conference championship are valuable to the fans, history and tradition of a program. Football is played to win games, championships and bowl games. It's also important in building/maintaining a fan base that is engaged, so they will spend money and time on your program.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
And the Herd Nation's annual Prick of The Year award goes to...

The majority of the fanbase wanted John Holliday gone for the lack of Conference titles, among many other reasons, but I guess everyone else is wrong and you're right?

I don't know why you're so bothered by that, but whatever.

Of course the fan base wanted him gone. They think winning conference titles is the end all be all of your programs existence.
It's not. Does it help? Certainly. Can you still be relevant without winning one? Sure. Just ask Texas or Penn State. Good lord it's been a while since they won any.

If you aren't going to win conference titles, at least be competitive. Doc managed to do that. Minus 2016, MU never finished at the bottom of the division during his tenure. Not many G5 programs can say that.
You either go 12-1 or you go 1-11. MU managed to be balanced and while not what people expected, certainly was far from what people dramatically wanted to wish they were.

Right now, MU can't even compete and is going to finish at the bottom of their division. Imagine having to try to fire/hire someone every 3-4 yrs with the intent of conference championships but you aren't even getting the consolation prize of a decent season.

Reactions: mlblack16.
A programs market is the most important thing in realignment. However, conference championship are valuable to the fans, history and tradition of a program. Football is played to win games, championships and bowl games. It's also important in building/maintaining a fan base that is engaged, so they will spend money and time on your program.

I agree.
It helps if your team is competitive.
If you asked the fans, "Hey, so MU isn't winning the SBC this year. But they'll win 8-10 games and be in the hunt, would you still go to games?"
Most of the fans would say, "No. Fire the HC and find us someone who wants to win. It's mediocre to not win a conference title!"
"Well, we got a young, energetic head coach, but best we can do currently is a terrible offense and a last place finish in your division."
Our fanbase would have a meltdown...but this is exactly what they think they wanted.

Of course the fan base wanted him gone. They think winning conference titles is the end all be all of your programs existence.
It's not. Does it help? Certainly. Can you still be relevant without winning one? Sure. Just ask Texas or Penn State. Good lord it's been a while since they won any.

If you aren't going to win conference titles, at least be competitive. Doc managed to do that. Minus 2016, MU never finished at the bottom of the division during his tenure. Not many G5 programs can say that.
You either go 12-1 or you go 1-11. MU managed to be balanced and while not what people expected, certainly was far from what people dramatically wanted to wish they were.

Right now, MU can't even compete and is going to finish at the bottom of their division. Imagine having to try to fire/hire someone every 3-4 yrs with the intent of conference championships but you aren't even getting the consolation prize of a decent season.
Fair enough, and I'll admit at this point, Holliday at least had enough sense and connections to hire assistants that had a clue what they were doing, sans Rippon.

Reactions: Herdguy04
Fair enough, and I'll admit at this point, Holliday at least had enough sense and connections to hire assistants that had a clue what they were doing, sans Rippon.
Though Rippon didn’t work out here, at least before coming here he had a decent resume. He was a HC , spent about 10 yrs at Syracuse and was highly recommended by Steve Dunlap.
That was more on him than on Doc, imo

I know after reading your dumb ass post you don’t know a thing about football. Literally nothing. First of all the losses that I put above were not all in the same year super football genius, and that was just a few of the losses that were pitiful during Docs tenure, there are many more I could have included.

To add to your list of stupid sht you said conference titles don’t mean anything. Are you for real? I mean seriously that is dumb on a level of dumbness that even for this board is a new stupid take. To top off your ridiculous take on conference championships you compared Marshall winning titles in the pathetic CUSA to Penn state not winning many titles when they play in the Big 10. If Marshall played in a conference like the Big 10 and won 8 to 10 games a year, I would never bitch about us not winning a conference championship. You are comparing apples to rocks. We had all the advantages to dominate that conference just like when we were in the MAC and we won it once. Even the year we won it, we completely laid an egg and lost to Western Ky at home with the chance to maybe go to the Access Bowl.

Va Tech by the way super football genius was every bit as bad that year as this years Va tech team that we beat. They were trying to get bowl eligible and were 5-6 so they scheduled Marshall. By the way it wasn’t 2016. We found out after the game that several of their players didn’t even want to go to a bowl that year and they still blew us out.

You guys that worship Doc are bizarre, I’ve literally never seen a coach who accomplished so little yet even with that got 11 seasons get so much praise. Are you from Hurricane, are you related to him, are you one of the Hamrick athletic department lackeys. There has to be a reason for this cult like worship of a mediocre coach like Doc amongst some of you.

The truth is we followed up a terrible hire with Snyder, with a bad hire in Doc and now it looks like we have hit the trifecta and went backwards with a terrible hire on our 3rd attempt in Coach Huff. Although there is not a chance that Holiday would have beat Notre Dame.

But please football genius enlighten us more as to championships mean nothing and all the other drivel you have been spewing in this thread.

Doc is gone. BP is gone. JD is gone. Sonny is dead, RIP.

The discussion is about one man. Charles Huff. An abject failure.

This is a bad football team.

Fire Charles Huff.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
Doc is gone. BP is gone. JD is gone. Sonny is dead, RIP.

The discussion is about one man. Charles Huff. An abject failure.

This is a bad football team.

Fire Charles Huff.
You've been saying that all along .....it appears you were correct!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT