ADVERTISEMENT

Video Board Thoughts

MU PIKE

Silver Buffalo
Mar 14, 2007
So with the first game in the books I would love to hear your impressions of the scoreboard and how it was used.

Board was great. Sound was not good. It sounded like on of the speakers blew early.

They could have used it to start the We Are Marshall cheer but didn’t.

Purely rating the video quality of the board - it was a huge upgrade.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Is there a policy or rule that prevents replay of calls under review? Seems to me the board is silent on many controversial plays.

PA system is terrible. Board is and will be a nice upgrade. Fireworks were nice addition. Band is bigger and better sound.
Better overall music selection.
Good stuff.

Reactions: alphasig1053
I thought the board was great, but ultimately annoying because ever time I looked at it, it was freezing and glitching. I want a board to watch replays or glance at it for live action on the goal line. If I can’t do that due to the constant glitches, then just get rid of it and use the money on speakers.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
Somebody said it wouldn't technically be completed this season. It definitely looks like there are temporary add one to the top and sides, or at least the top area. Not sure why they can't complete this year unless those final components wouldn't be available in time.

Even some of the rides and attractions at Disneyland didn’t work right the day it opened. Might take a while to work out all the bugs.
If they had not screwed around and not "finished" the video board until the last minute, there would have been plenty of time to work out any glitches.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
So with the first game in the books I would love to hear your impressions of the scoreboard and how it was used.
I think it looked pretty awesome. Especially once it got dark. That being said I have some gripes.

1. Why not put stats on the right side of the board instead of having ads up the entire time? Every once in a while just flash them up for a couple minutes so we know what's going on.

2. The scoreboard operators were terrible. The down and distance would sometimes be an entire play behind and several times they didn't even restart the game clock. For some reason we continue to be one of the only teams in the country that refuse to show the replays. I can't even recall any stats being put up during halftime.

3. Not sure what all the glitching and lagging in the video was all about.

PA system is terrible. Board is and will be a nice upgrade. Fireworks were nice addition. Band is bigger and better sound.
Better overall music selection.
Good stuff.
The bad was bigger? It looked pretty small to me. Several people in our section were commenting about it. Sounded pretty good though despite the small size.

I thought the board was great, but ultimately annoying because ever time I looked at it, it was freezing and glitching. I want a board to watch replays or glance at it for live action on the goal line. If I can’t do that due to the constant glitches, then just get rid of it and use the money on speakers.
I noticed the same thing - frequently freezing. For the money spent you’d think the technology would work properly.

The bad was bigger? It looked pretty small to me. Several people in our section were commenting about it. Sounded pretty good though despite the small size.
While the band is not as big as we would like, it was 65 -70 members bigger this year. It is in an uptick.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I think it looked pretty awesome. Especially once it got dark. That being said I have some gripes.

1. Why not put stats on the right side of the board instead of having ads up the entire time? Every once in a while just flash them up for a couple minutes so we know what's going on.

2. The scoreboard operators were terrible. The down and distance would sometimes be an entire play behind and several times they didn't even restart the game clock. For some reason we continue to be one of the only teams in the country that refuse to show the replays. I can't even recall any stats being put up during halftime.

3. Not sure what all the glitching and lagging in the video was all about.
Only a Marshall fan would complain about a new scoreboard.

• Haha
Big learning curve trying to figure out the bells and whistles of the board. Hopefully like the football team, it will improve as the season goes forward.

I know OVP has plenty of money… but that would hurt a budget to fund 2 video boards in a few months… I’m surprised that doesn’t happen more often, actually.
I wonder if there's any type of property insurance policy for something like that? As you said, you'd think that sort of thing would happen more often.

Reactions: Jartard
I wonder if there's any type of property insurance policy for something like that? As you said, you'd think that sort of thing would happen more often.
Lightning and insurance are an unpredictable combination. A bolt once hit a tree next to my parents home. It traveled down the tree, put a quarter size hole in the wall of the house, then knocked an expensive art statue off the fireplace mantle and broke it. The insurance company paid for the damage to the house, but they refused to pay for the broken statue.

Lightning and insurance are an unpredictable combination. A bolt once hit a tree next to my parents home. It traveled down the tree, put a quarter size hole in the wall of the house, then knocked an expensive art statue off the fireplace mantle and broke it. The insurance company paid for the damage to the house, but they refused to pay for the broken statue.
1- didn't realize your Camden Park clown statue was so valuable 2- perhaps the statue would have needed a separate policy?

Through State Farm, I've had an insurance policy on my wife's wedding ring and mine, which is listed as some type of personal property policy for I think $8/mo.

• Haha
Reactions: FreddyReef
1- didn't realize your Camden Park clown statue was so valuable 2- perhaps the statue would have needed a separate policy?
Yeah, the insurance company said it should have been insured under a separate policy. It wasn’t my statue, it was my parents home. My dad had picked up this small armored knight while traveling in Europe.

Hope this isn't some kind of omen. Wonder if the scoreboard will be working when the HERD goes to Raleigh next month. Can't help but think of some of the same weird Sh*t that has happened to the HERD during games in Raleigh. Then too, there was the "weirdness" during a HERD game at Chapel Hill, NC, years ago that also involved the weather, lightning, delay of the game, etc., when ultimately the HERD lost with some controversy involving the delay, officiating, etc., IIRC. Hopefully, no repeat of similar goings on will occur come early October in Raleigh!!

It was the lights going out. Only to come back on after they forced the Herd to play their series with half the lights on.
Marshall went straight down the dark field and scored.

The weirdness of that game was Hines returning a punt for TD, but ruled to have stepped out of bounds when he didn't. And Derricott got an interception, jumped straight up and was flagged immediately for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Total joke of officiating but I give UNC some credit... they had some dudes with Ronald Curry, Alge Crumpler and Julius Peppers, and they played fairly well. We just couldn't finish drives.

Reactions: herdfan93
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT