ADVERTISEMENT

We all know about the defense this year but

We’ve only had a really good offense for 4-5 of the last 18 seasons. In 2014 we were 3rd in scoring offense. Since then (now 8 seasons) we have only cracked the top 50 once, that was last year when we were #30. It takes about 30 a game to be top 50 most years.
Yeah, I think people have forgotten how many points are scored around the country every Saturday. You have to be 30+ a game just to be in the conversation for a decent offense.

I hope we have the right qb next year that is an accurate passer with a quick mind. Is it to big of dream?
I think the coaches and fans know what we have in Fancher... Nice kid, good athlete, not a very good passer. Realistically, an ideal backup QB. Can come in and manage a game enough to win it (no turnovers, run when necessary, avoid negative plays, etc).

The question for Spring is what do we have in -- Pennington, Harrison and Parachek.

Can one of those three do enough to unseat Fancher? Will Fancher make strides throwing the ball with a full offseason of number one reps? Can Trickett and our offensive coaches help him enough to go from a game manager to "the guy"?.. We shall see.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Will Fancher make strides throwing the ball with a full offseason of number one reps?

Ordinarily I would see Fancher's performance and assume this is totally possible, but someone on here knew and watched him as a high school QB and said his inconsistent passing is par for the course with him.

Unfortunately, I think he's someone who will every now and then have a particularly good night with accuracy, but then have too many games like our bowl game in which he is just lobbing the ball around without enough focus to place it where receivers can actually catch it.

Reactions: RhinoD
Ordinarily I would see Fancher's performance and assume this is totally possible, but someone on here knew and watched him as a high school QB and said his inconsistent passing is par for the course with him.

Unfortunately, I think he's someone who will every now and then have a particularly good night with accuracy, but then have too many games like our bowl game in which he is just lobbing the ball around without enough focus to place it where receivers can actually catch it.

I don’t know, I wish I could say the same watching Fancher play. I just don’t see it. Wells was light years ahead in terms of pure passing ability. And even he wasn’t where most fans thought he should be.

I believe the game has changed in the last 10 years or so when it comes to developing college QBs.

Most of these kids who become D1 QBs, have already spent years working with coaches and trainers and camps before they ever even get to college. I think mechanically, at least, most of these guys you’ve kind of got what you got when they step foot on campus. Can they keep improving? Sure. Will adjusting to the speed of the game and learning the offense and gaining confidence and polish make them better? Of course. But I don’t think you’re going to see many miraculous transformations.

If a guy has spent two years at a school, in the system with the resources they have. If that guy runs a play, makes the right read, has time and just can’t hit the broad side of a barn the majority of plays, I don’t see that changing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT