ADVERTISEMENT

“We got them all back, don’t lose anybody”

MStap

Silver Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2009
Sounds like coach thinks everyone is coming back. Does this help with the rumors of Elmore leaving?

Loyalty brings Elmore back, loyalty to win consecutive conference titles and to make another run at the brackets. Smart business says go. He made a national name, I mean the country had a feel for who John Elmore was, but now they really know. My only reservation would be going out on the loss to Morganhole. He didn't play very well against them in (2015) and on Sunday night either. NBA teams will quickly find out he can't handle constant pressure. Either way, loyalty and business, I could see how it would be a very difficult decision.

Elmore posted another tweet at some point yesterday intimating it was time for the team to get back to work and get better for next season. At least that's the way I took it.

I think the WVU game showed a couple of weaknesses in his game. That and the fire to take this program to new heights may keep him around. jmo.

If you go back and watch the Wichita State game, Elmore had the ball in his hands the majority of the time we were on offense, with the rest of the team just kind of standing around. Hell, on some possessions, he was dribbling around and through our players just the same as the Shockers.

WVU committed the resources to not allowing him to do that, which is why you saw other players (like Penava) bringing the ball up the court. It threw our game off enough that we couldn't do what we do, and it made us easy to beat. You can't put that all on Elmore, because he was the focus of WVU's attacks.

If Marshall wants to go dancing when its not just lucky to be there, we need to have a much more complete team.

If you go back and watch the Wichita State game, Elmore had the ball in his hands the majority of the time we were on offense, with the rest of the team just kind of standing around. Hell, on some possessions, he was dribbling around and through our players just the same as the Shockers.

WVU committed the resources to not allowing him to do that, which is why you saw other players (like Penava) bringing the ball up the court. It threw our game off enough that we couldn't do what we do, and it made us easy to beat. You can't put that all on Elmore, because he was the focus of WVU's attacks.

If Marshall wants to go dancing when its not just lucky to be there, we need to have a much more complete team.
They played that 1-2-2 extended defense that gives us a similar look to what MTSU gave us the last few years that gave us trouble. It’s hard to penetrate that look (because where are you going to go? Dribble right into a shot blocker), but what it really does is take away our quick ball movement. Our style of play is NBA-like, which is suited to face man defenses, draw help defenders, and kick to the open man. We had a lot of success with that early on when wvu was playing full court man, but when they switched to the zone, it slowed us down like MTSU did. Xavier too, at the beginning of the year, gave us that look and it took us a half to find a groove in attacking it.

A lot of analysis can be made concerning Sunday's game, but to me it is very simple. Carter is better than Elmore at this point in their careers. One dominated in this game, the other disappeared due mostly to the dominance of the other on Defense. Secondly, and much less important, was the loss of Williams; they had guys to cover (depth) for their loss in that mishap, we did not. Game, set, match. Congrats to WVU, which is hard for me to say.

easy to turn down. who would want to go there to play basketball? Elmore is looking to go to the next level el and is in an NBA style offense which he would not be getting at OSU..

Agreed jrod. I was surprised when T Thompson xferred to Wake. But, he is working on a graduate degree so good for him. Jon, I just don't see him giving up the spotlight w/the Herd to go do a one & done w/anybody else. He has a chance to go out as the all-time scoring leader, assist leader. Already broke Skip's record for most points in a season. JMO

They played that 1-2-2 extended defense that gives us a similar look to what MTSU gave us the last few years that gave us trouble. It’s hard to penetrate that look (because where are you going to go? Dribble right into a shot blocker), but what it really does is take away our quick ball movement. Our style of play is NBA-like, which is suited to face man defenses, draw help defenders, and kick to the open man. We had a lot of success with that early on when wvu was playing full court man, but when they switched to the zone, it slowed us down like MTSU did. Xavier too, at the beginning of the year, gave us that look and it took us a half to find a groove in attacking it.

I'm too much of an x' s and o's idiot to know but did we find more success with it against mtsu and xavier? Or is WVU that much better at the 1-2-2 defense? Wouldn't be surprised to see other CUSA teams use it if we can't beat it.

I'm too much of an x' s and o's idiot to know but did we find more success with it against mtsu and xavier? Or is WVU that much better at the 1-2-2 defense? Wouldn't be surprised to see other CUSA teams use it if we can't beat it.
It’s all about the man at the top of that zone. wvu had that 6’8 Harris, who’s a long 6’8 and very athletic. MTSU put 6’8 Upshaw or Williams up there and they gave us a lot of trouble as well. When teams do that, it takes away the quick side to side ball movement because those long arms are always in the way. It also takes away our high PnR game.

MTSU didn’t have anyone like Upshaw & Williams this year, which is why we matched up with them much better and beat them twice. I don’t remember what Xavier had, but I don’t think they had that long & athletic player at the top of theirs. We found a lot of success in the second half against it by Penava screening the ball handler free and rolling like we do against man. That’s hard to do vs wvu with Konate back there and when MTSU had Williams or Upshaw playing back, it was hard for 6’5 Ryan Taylor to get much too.

Because at some point in your life you need to show loyalty because what comes around goes around. Because Marshall got you and your family out of a financial bind with VMI?
I was unaware of the help provided to the family financially, in regards to VMI. The Elmore’s are a good family and their son Jon will do the right thing...and that would be stay and finish his senior year.

Reactions: i am herdman
I was unaware of the help provided to the family financially, in regards to VMI. The Elmore’s are a good family and their son Jon will do the right thing...and that would be stay and finish his senior year.
I don't think direct financial aid was given. But, Marshall is playing a football game with VMI now where VMI gets $350,000 to play in Huntington.:) I hope he stays and I think he will.

I don't think direct financial aid was given. But, Marshall is playing a football game with VMI now where VMI gets $350,000 to play in Huntington.:) I hope he stays and I think he will.
That deal was signed before Jon came to Marshall. It was just never announced until a few months ago. Hamrick provided the date on the contract.

That deal was signed before Jon came to Marshall. It was just never announced until a few months ago. Hamrick provided the date on the contract.

Sorry, if anyone believes that, I have some beach front property in Wayne to sell cheap. Great views!

Last edited:
I am sure it was. No coincidence there. I am sure of it. We have always wanted to play VMI again, I am sure.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight! Fans have been clamoring for it incessantly, it seems. Post game comments on the radio call in show right after our victory in the New Mexico Bowl wanting to know when the Keydets will be back on the schedule!! Seems like it has come up just about at every tailgate I've been to at the Joan in the last 3 or 4 seasons!!

Elmore posted another tweet at some point yesterday intimating it was time for the team to get back to work and get better for next season. At least that's the way I took it.

I think the WVU game showed a couple of weaknesses in his game. That and the fire to take this program to new heights may keep him around. jmo.
Yeah, he needs to hit the weight room with the S&C Coach so all the hand-checking and pushes he took won't bother him next time. You could really say that for the entire team.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
No, we didn't pay the Elmore family anything except scholarships as that would be a gigantic NCAA violation, and get our program shutdown unlike schools like Louisville that did far worse. We signed the agreement to play VMI, which resulted in them dropping the money grab against the Elmore family.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Yeah, he needs to hit the weight room with the S&C Coach so all the hand-checking and pushes he took won't bother him next time. You could really say that for the entire team.

How many strength and conditioning coaches are there Marshall? Do all the sports use the same ones?

How many strength and conditioning coaches are there Marshall? Do all the sports use the same ones?
I believe football is the only one that have an exclusive and a couple assistants.
Our basketball strength guy also does Volleyball and I believe another minor sport, not positive.
I'm sure soccer and baseball share as well.

Loyalty brings Elmore back, loyalty to win consecutive conference titles and to make another run at the brackets. Smart business says go. He made a national name, I mean the country had a feel for who John Elmore was, but now they really know. My only reservation would be going out on the loss to Morganhole. He didn't play very well against them in (2015) and on Sunday night either. NBA teams will quickly find out he can't handle constant pressure. Either way, loyalty and business, I could see how it would be a very difficult decision.
i honestly think that playing WVU's Defense was the best thing that ever happened to him. to move up, you gotta do more than make 500 foot threes. He got humbled and I think that will be great for Marshall BB and for the fine young man.

The pros will make it easy for Burks. Like the rest he is not ready for the pros YET

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
easy to turn down. who would want to go there to play basketball? Elmore is looking to go to the next level el and is in an NBA style offense which he would not be getting at OSU..
Elmore leaves he is a traitor especially after what Marshall did for him. I don't think he is a traitor. His dad was a jerk

ADVERTISEMENT