ADVERTISEMENT

1 freaking penalty

dherd

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 23, 2007
n.c. state was called for 1 freaking penalty the whole game.
then 2 after it was all over.
every penalty called against us cost us a touchdown, a first
down or killed a drive. one kept a state drive alive for a td.
pitiful job of officiating. I saw 10 holding/personal foul/ or
pass interference infractions that were not called.
Litton looked very good/defense looked very good/brady nearly broke
moss' receiving record. coaches had a great game plan and had the
team ready to play.

to bad we got nothing but bad calls all day long.

The ticky tack holding call on us when we returned the kick...was probably the game changer.
We would have trailed 27-30, with plenty of time left...would have changed the entire outlook of the game from that point on.

I'm fine with having lost to NC State if they were actually better than us. They weren't and their dependence on calls helped them edge out a win.
I hate when refs determine a game's outcome, but you get that with NC State.

We get NC State here on September 22, 2018. See what happens in that game (officiating wise).

The officials did ok. They definitely didn't cost us the game like they did in previous trips to Raleigh. We should've been called for more than 9 penalties. They missed our OLine holding most of the game...which I don't mind. They also gave us the Johnson TD. That was ruled incomplete. I believe it was a catch but they didn't have indisputable evidence that it was a catch to overturn the call.

The officials did ok. They definitely didn't cost us the game like they did in previous trips to Raleigh. We should've been called for more than 9 penalties. They missed our OLine holding most of the game...which I don't mind. They also gave us the Johnson TD. That was ruled incomplete. I believe it was a catch but they didn't have indisputable evidence that it was a catch to overturn the call.
They did have indisputable evidence or the call would not have been overturned. You could clearly see his toe touch down before his knee on the play.

They could call penalties on both teams every play if they wanted, but what seemed unfair was how the calls against us usually came on key plays that went in our favor, and there is also the fact that NC State only had 1 minor penalty called on them in the 1st 55 minutes of the game, while we had 9 with 3 have major impacts on the game. Even worse was that the officials were from CUSA, but then again, we do seem to be the red-headed step child in our own conference most of the time. Even when we were really good, the conference were pushing other schools as the face of the conference. Its sad but true.

They did have indisputable evidence or the call would not have been overturned. You could clearly see his toe touch down before his knee on the play.

They could call penalties on both teams every play if they wanted, but what seemed unfair was how the calls against us usually came on key plays that went in our favor, and there is also the fact that NC State only had 1 minor penalty called on them in the 1st 55 minutes of the game, while we had 9 with 3 have major impacts on the game. Even worse was that the officials were from CUSA, but then again, we do seem to be the red-headed step child in our own conference most of the time. Even when we were really good, the conference were pushing other schools as the face of the conference. Its sad but true.

Bull...there was no indisputable evidence. There was no way you could see if he had possession and a foot in at the same time. We have been one of the most penalized teams in the country for Doc's entire tenure. It shouldn't be a surprise when we have more penalties than the other team.

The officials didn't come close to costing us the game.

How did officiating cost Marshall a game in which they lost by 17? That doesn't seem too realistic to blame the refs for a game you lost by three possessions.

Also, nice touch for also blaming the refs for the future game with NC State in an entire other football season.

Last edited:
Bull...there was no indisputable evidence. There was no way you could see if he had possession and a foot in at the same time. We have been one of the most penalized teams in the country for Doc's entire tenure. It shouldn't be a surprise when we have more penalties than the other team.

On the replay you could clearly see his toe touch in the end zone first before his body hit out of bounds with possession. It was easy to understand the call by the officials live, but the replay showed that it was a clear catch.

Reactions: 19MU88 and ToesMU
On the replay you could clearly see his toe touch in the end zone first before his body hit out of bounds with possession. It was easy to understand the call by the officials live, but the replay showed that it was a clear catch.

Whatever you say. If you want to be one of those that whines every time we lose a game because of the officials, have at it. Fact is, the officials helped us as much as they hurt us.

Cousin I agree. My support goes back to 1961. From that time moving forward to the present there is one common theme among Marshall fans - the refs cost us the game! In the MAC (first time), then Southern Conference, then MAC (round two), and now CUSA. Good grief I guess the officials all must ask to work Marshall games to give some posters material.

anyone with a brain and any ability to use deductive reasoning watching the tape knew that was a catch. sorry you didn't.

Reactions: pdbailey
Whatever you say. If you want to be one of those that whines every time we lose a game because of the officials, have at it. Fact is, the officials helped us as much as they hurt us.

"as much"? you just might be stupid. extending two drives for 13 points for NC State, calling back a TD for MU? not calling any of the multiple holds by NC State? one penalty on nc state until about 4 minutes to go?

you are trying to hard to appear objective Gomer

We made mistakes. Our own players have acknowledged as much. We must play smarter. Remember, we have been among penalty leader in CUSA for a few years now. It's all about disciplined. I read today where Eli Brown admitted he used his hands to the face of the defender, He even said he had been warned previously about it.

"as much"? you just might be stupid. extending two drives for 13 points for NC State, calling back a TD for MU? not calling any of the multiple holds by NC State? one penalty on nc state until about 4 minutes to go?

you are trying to hard to appear objective Gomer

You must not know much about football. Have mercy even Keith Morehouse was talking about how we were getting away with holding. I'll be sure to let him know that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

You have to be pretty pathetic to blame the loss to NC State on the officials.

you might not be able to read. I never blamed the loss on officials, I just disagreed that they "helped us as much as they hurt us". I don't doubt we got away with holds AS DID STATE. Lastly, it was primarily the cohost going on and on about the holds we got away with and never really saying a lot about the penalty disparity. Dustin Fox to me, seemed to have a P5 bias as an OSU grad, he even stated "you don't expect to be in a dogfight with a nonP5 in the first quarter"...first quarter? really?

anyway, we have ourselves to blame for the loss. the big calls against us were huge in the outcome of the game. one PI, right or wrong, was very late. I do think the kick off hold was BS...that was huge and changed the game. Caused the loss? can't say but it did certainly change the game.

but you go with your theory....let's go with the score should have been 37-6 without the help of the officials for MU. hey, that's easy...I like misquoting or assigning false comments/theories to others..thanks for the posting tip!

By the way...not only was the replay of the Willie Johnson TD NOT indisputable but also, Marshall probably should've been called for holding on the exact same play (on Mollette)...AND the play before it (obvious hold by Jean-Felix). So not only do we know 100% for sure that Johnson had possession AND his foot down but it shouldn't have even gotten that far.

Seriously, it's just silly to blame the officials in this game.

you might not be able to read. I never blamed the loss on officials, I just disagreed that they "helped us as much as they hurt us". I don't doubt we got away with holds AS DID STATE. Lastly, it was primarily the cohost going on and on about the holds we got away with and never really saying a lot about the penalty disparity. Dustin Fox to me, seemed to have a P5 bias as an OSU grad, he even stated "you don't expect to be in a dogfight with a nonP5 in the first quarter"...first quarter? really?

anyway, we have ourselves to blame for the loss. the big calls against us were huge in the outcome of the game. one PI, right or wrong, was very late. I do think the kick off hold was BS...that was huge and changed the game. Caused the loss? can't say but it did certainly change the game.

but you go with your theory....let's go with the score should have been 37-6 without the help of the officials for MU. hey, that's easy...I like misquoting or assigning false comments/theories to others..thanks for the posting tip!

That's not my theory at all. My theory is that the score was probably right where it should've been. Everything was pretty even in the end as far as I'm concerned.

Also, you are not the one that started this thread. And you are not the only one that has replied. Other Marshall fans would love to think that the officials cost us. It's just not true. Being undisciplined and not making second half adjustments on offense is probably what cost us.

The ref calls impacted the game at key points.
As I said, the entire outlook and possible outcome changes with 2 calls...
The immediate 3 and out instead of PI call at the start of the 2nd half.
The kick return called back that would have either put us down 3 points at 27-30 or up 4 points at 27-23...since we stopped the former drive.
The mere fact we are discussing this, says they had a presence in the game...a bigger presence than they should.

All4TheHerd posted "The mere fact we are discussing this, says they (refs) had a presence in the game. . .a bigger presence than they (refs) should." OK All4TheHerd who is the "we are" that's discussing? You talking about the few on here or wanting to do the stadium cheer?

All4TheHerd posted "The mere fact we are discussing this, says they (refs) had a presence in the game. . .a bigger presence than they (refs) should." OK All4TheHerd who is the "we are" that's discussing? You talking about the few on here or wanting to do the stadium cheer?

Huh? I was talking about the refs.
But yeah, "We are...!!!!"
Lol

I saw on the ****ing replay and the commentators even said it would be overturned. I'm not ****ing whining either, I'm just saying they made some suspect calls against us as key moments in the game that took points off the board and kept drives going for NC State. There is also a fact that they only called 1 penalty on NC State in the 1st 55 minutes of the game, and while it did not cause us to lose, the calls certainly kept us from having the opportunity to be in the game at the end with the possibility of winning.

Reactions: 19MU88
By the way...not only was the replay of the Willie Johnson TD NOT indisputable but also, Marshall probably should've been called for holding on the exact same play (on Mollette)...AND the play before it (obvious hold by Jean-Felix). So not only do we know 100% for sure that Johnson had possession AND his foot down but it shouldn't have even gotten that far.

Seriously, it's just silly to blame the officials in this game.
Just admit your wrong. The video evidence proves it and the call would not have been overturned without proof. As for the no-call holding, they could call holding on just about every play if they wanted, and NC State got a lot of no-calls on plays where holding could be called as well.

Reactions: 19MU88
Careful 19mu88 with all that singling out and member bashing ur doing you might end up with a last warning........ they are watching alway watching......

I saw on the ****ing replay and the commentators even said it would be overturned. I'm not ****ing whining either, I'm just saying they made some suspect calls against us as key moments in the game that took points off the board and kept drives going for NC State. There is also a fact that they only called 1 penalty on NC State in the 1st 55 minutes of the game, and while it did not cause us to lose, the calls certainly kept us from having the opportunity to be in the game at the end with the possibility of winning.

But the DID NOT say it would be overturned. When it was overturned Keith Morehouse actually said "Wow." They showed it over and over and neither of the announcers (including the biggest Marshall fan on the planet) could tell for sure if Johnson had possession and a foot in bounds. If you could see through Ryan Yurachek and you know for sure then I'm seriously impressed.

I do agree with you. They made some calls that were ill-timed and really hurt us. I'm not arguing against that at all. My argument is that they made some suspect calls and missed some calls that hurt NC State as well.

Seriously, it would be nice if Marshall fans would practice some intellectual honesty sometimes. Why is there always an excuse for a loss? We lost. That sucks. Don't blame the officials.

I've never seen a Marshall fan actively root against Marshall as hard as maniac does.

And how am I rooting against Marshall? Yes, I totally wanted Marshall to lose. THAT must be why my wife was laughing at me when I was screaming at the TV. That must be why I continue to support a program that just finished a 3-9 season. That must be why I was one of the people that started the biggest student organization on campus that funnels thousands of dollars to the Big Green. Yes. That's what I do. I root against Marshall.

he is an idiot.

See my post above. Yes, I'm the idiot. The one that is willing to admit we just got beat by a better team. No, that can't be it. It had to have been the CUSA officials wanted us to lose to a ACC team.

That's ok man, keep blaming officials for Marshall losses to a good ACC school. That's a great way to show off the knowledge of the Marshall fanbase.

I can admit nc state was better. is your point fans should not question or discuss calls or their impact on a game?

I can admit nc state was better. is your point fans should not question or discuss calls or their impact on a game?

You'll have to point out to me where I said that. I do not believe I ever typed anything even close to that. I'm ok with discussing calls and how the impacted the game. Just be fair about it. The OP made the comment that every penalty they called cost us TDs. We don't know that. I know everybody here wants Marshall to win every game. I was pumped in the first half of the game on Saturday and pissed off when we lost. I LOVED that they didn't call the holds against us just before the Johnson TD. I LOVED that they gave us that TD but there are too many painting this false narrative that "Maybe if they hadn't called this or this we would've won." Admittedly there are maybe only one or two of those people on this thread. There have been others I've seen on Facebook & Twitter. I just think we have to be objective. I've done my share of complaining about officials in games...including the last couple times we played NC State. But in this game...we just have to acknowledge that, in no way shape or form, did the officials even come close to costing us the win. I just think it makes our fanbase look silly.

and like I said...you try too hard to be objective. it's really not that difficult.

and like I said...you try too hard to be objective. it's really not that difficult.

Says the guy that refuses to admit that officials hurt both teams. You want to complain about "extending 2 drives for 13 points" but don't want to say anything about Marshall getting their first TD after the officials missed two holds on Jean-Felix and Mollette.

You're right, it's not that difficult to be objective. I'm still trying to figure out why you and a couple others here can't do it.

we will let you know when you get there. in the mean time, stop trying so hard.

ob·jec·tive
əbˈjektiv/
adjective
  1. 1. (of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.

^^^That's not you^^^

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT