ADVERTISEMENT

19-5

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
Not sure how this basketball season is going to end but it sure is nice to be having such a good year. Here's to hoping we get hot in March and go dancing. For the record, DD deserves credit for a strong bounce back season

Not sure how this basketball season is going to end but it sure is nice to be having such a good year. Here's to hoping we get hot in March and go dancing. For the record, DD deserves credit for a strong bounce back season
Great season, and im not complaining about winning, but man the SBC is so bad

Reactions: marshall_U
The record looks nice, but keep in mind the non-conference schedule was barely above high school level.
This is why it's so hard to gauge just how good this team really is. The OoC was a joke and the SBC has no real test in it. It is championship or failure.

Reactions: RhinoD
USM is ahead by 2 games.
But congrats, people coming together to praise acoach with the weakest schedule in the last decade for...winning said schedule

They may be ahead now but that's not guaranteed but you know what is? The 22 point beat down we gave them. BTW I'm very very glad our coach isn't losing "said schedule".

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
so in the past 65 years we have been to the NCAA a grand total of 6 times. does that mean that we suck unless we win the conference title? In a one bid conference that is always a challenge. Should we win a conference title more often? Sure, we certainly should have a few more banners hanging up, but that doesn't negate we have fielded some pretty good teams and some really good players over the years.

so in the past 65 years we have been to the NCAA a grand total of 6 times. does that mean that we suck unless we win the conference title? In a one bid conference that is always a challenge. Should we win a conference title more often? Sure, we certainly should have a few more banners hanging up, but that doesn't negate we have fielded some pretty good teams and some really good players over the years.
MARSHALL was a basketball school when DD was staring (1965-69).

Today, it's a FOOTBALL school with entertaining basketball during the cold, Winter months.

1 ain't enough bud.

Given that on this level MU is on, coaching actually matters more than having really good players.
Some people are fine with mediocrity because they are bigger fans of the coach than they are the program. If Dan wasn't a throwback to the "glory days" and his last name wasn't D'Antoni he would have been gone already. Especially after last season.

His late season choke job cost this program a lot of exposure and money by choking against ODU and then going one and out in the conference tournament. Couple that with skirting any money games vs power conference opponents.

Some people are fine with mediocrity because they are bigger fans of the coach than they are the program. If Dan wasn't a throwback to the "glory days" and his last name wasn't D'Antoni he would have been gone already. Especially after last season.

His late season choke job cost this program a lot of exposure and money by choking against ODU and then going one and out in the conference tournament. Couple that with skirting any money games vs power conference opponents.

Another dumb post. People can be fans of both and not want someone fired after a 24-8 non mediocre season.

I am curious: When football plays a “money” game, we can get several hundred thousand to a million or more. When basketball does the same, what is the range of $ payouts?

Another dumb post. People can be fans of both and not want someone fired after a 24-8 non mediocre season.
24-8 in this vomit conference, with no significant wins and a joke cupcake OOC schedule is the very definition of mediocre. Actually barely that. This was another failed year. DD could not win one of the bottom conferences.

You accept mediocrity.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Another dumb post. It's not one season. He's been here going on 10 years and this is mostly what we get out of Dan. No wins over the power conference teams, no regular season titles, and only one championship. You can call me and everyone else dumb, but you're a cultist. Dan or any coach for that matter could lose every game every season and you'd still want them to keep their jobs. You've said Herrion didn't deserve to be fired, defended Marcum which is beyond belief and even rationalized Snyder.

……that hardly seems like enough to make or break the program?
No, but that money helps and if we're as hard up and some want to make us out to be you would think we'd want to play those games. Also the exposure playing those teams gives us. Just look at the mileage we got of playing and beating Notre Dame. Sure we didn't capitalize on it with how we finished the season, but it was there for us. People are talking about getting in the NIT on at at-large and yet our OoC resume is pathetic.

This year was championship or bust and we busted.

24-8 in this vomit conference, with no significant wins and a joke cupcake OOC schedule is the very definition of mediocre. Actually barely that. This was another failed year. DD could not win one of the bottom conferences.

You accept mediocrity.
Dan could play all D-II and NAIA schools and Aaron would think it was awesome.

Marshall fans ripping on Marshall teams is comical. Actually my bad. It’s not comical. It’s embarrassing.
Not nearly as embarrassing as calling Marshall fans red neck SOBs and telling them he hoped they never attend another Marshall football game while defending the below mediocrity results of Mark Snyder. And not nearly as comical as you continuing to rip fans for the last 15 years and then being rewarded a moderator position on this board.

Marshall fans ripping on Marshall teams is comical. Actually my bad. It’s not comical. It’s embarrassing.

It's fair to have some sets of standards for a program and still consider yourself a supporter.

That is kind of what fan support should be.

I'm sure UT fans ripped the team after being scored on so much by South Carolina, they ran out of fireworks.
I couldn't imagine Clemson or Texas A&M fans...

The problem here is, the fans don't hold the programs to the same expectations as they should across the board.
The question I have is, what are your expectations for Marshall programs?

I am sure you expect undefeated seasons and CFP or NCAA titles...as well all, deep down, do.

But if a team is just merely existing, that shouldn't be enough. I doubt anyone on here would say anyone has more fandom than you and we'd all agree on that. You just can't let the idea of holding a program/coach accountable be seen as a threat to said loyalty. It's not. It's what would make the program better.
As I said, I think you see MU sports as merely existing and your support covers that. Anything that could harm it, is seen as a threat and that's not true.

I feel many fans on here are sort of shell shocked at the idea that a coach is simply not good, despite what he did one season and now it's, kind of on the fans who need to make the changes and start expressing that the standards aren't being met.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
It's fair to have some sets of standards for a program and still consider yourself a supporter.

That is kind of what fan support should be.

I'm sure UT fans ripped the team after being scored on so much by South Carolina, they ran out of fireworks.
I couldn't imagine Clemson or Texas A&M fans...

The problem here is, the fans don't hold the programs to the same expectations as they should across the board.
The question I have is, what are your expectations for Marshall programs?

I am sure you expect undefeated seasons and CFP or NCAA titles...as well all, deep down, do.

But if a team is just merely existing, that shouldn't be enough. I doubt anyone on here would say anyone has more fandom than you and we'd all agree on that. You just can't let the idea of holding a program/coach accountable be seen as a threat to said loyalty. It's not. It's what would make the program better.
As I said, I think you see MU sports as merely existing and your support covers that. Anything that could harm it, is seen as a threat and that's not true.

I feel many fans on here are sort of shell shocked at the idea that a coach is simply not good, despite what he did one season and now it's, kind of on the fans who need to make the changes and start expressing that the standards aren't being met.
That’s a really good post! And very well said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT