ADVERTISEMENT

***2020 SCHEDULING ANNOUNCEMENT COMING***

giphy.gif

Any info on whether or not we will return a game @ UMass? Or. is this a one and done?

Well looks like a Rice replacement, I'd say they both suck the same amount lol regardless we needed a game and got one. I'd say BYU doesn't want us right now, can't blame em.

Reactions: HERD_Rich
I am actually pretty happy with this...

1. We needed two games, any games, and we had three dates to work with.
2. Its a FBS team (albeit not a very good one) at home
3. The door is still open for CUSA to send Rice our way on 12/5, as they should

If we get a 10-game season played and then a CUSA championship game, given the circumstances of COVID-19, that is a successful year. Do any of us like the idea of trading Pitt and Boise State for UMass and Appalachian State - of course not. But at this point we need any game we can get and MH went and got one.

Fellas, I don't expect the idiots at the CUSA office in Dallas to help us with anything. Rice will whine that they have to make the dreaded trip to WV and CUSA will relent and say, "no worries, we won't make you go to that nasty place - Huntington, VA." lol!

They absolutely should have to... Or if they decide halfway through the year to not play at all, after jerking everybody around, that game should count as a 'W' for us as a forfeit.

I agree...also the conference should fine Rice a high dollar amount for doing this to the rest of the teams. MU has a shot at getting NY6 Bowl consideration and they aren't helping by sitting on their asses NOT playing teams.
You'd think an intellectual school such as Rice, would have figured out a reliable protocol or at the very least, followed CUSA's...yet here they are not doing a damn thing it seems. If they could communicate to Hamrick (whom, I believe does well with that) that they absolutely will play the game, then I'd be fine with their situation. But we haven't heard anything about it, and you know the hype machine Hamrick would have said something by now.

I actually thought UMASS wasn't playing this year, but noticed they did play at Georgia Southern a while back, and lost 41-0. Herd is the only other game on their schedule (so far), or at leas that I could find.

Chris got me all excited bringing up BYU, so I blame him.

I didn't know that either. You'd think the Independents would be in the Catbird Seat given their flexibility with scheduling especially for this year.

I agree...also the conference should fine Rice a high dollar amount for doing this to the rest of the teams. MU has a shot at getting NY6 Bowl consideration and they aren't helping by sitting on their asses NOT playing teams.
You'd think an intellectual school such as Rice, would have figured out a reliable protocol or at the very least, followed CUSA's...yet here they are not doing a damn thing it seems. If they could communicate to Hamrick (whom, I believe does well with that) that they absolutely will play the game, then I'd be fine with their situation. But we haven't heard anything about it, and you know the hype machine Hamrick would have said something by now.
Rice begins play on the 31st, I expect to see them here Dec 5 or 12

Garbage pickup imo and will taint a undefeated season if it happens, especially adding Rice if that’s the case. I never really believed even with a strong schedule we would have a legit shot at a New Year’s Eve bowl, but with this weak of a schedule I personally don’t think we’d be deserving (I understand covid and Boise and Pitt) but it’s hard for me to believe we can’t find someone more competitive. (It seems lots of teams are going to need to schedule more games if trying to bowl this year) Part of me thinks we’re avoiding teams who could knock us out of the top 25 as much as no one want to play us.

Last edited:
Garbage pickup imo and will taint undefeated season if it happens, especially adding Rice if that’s the case. I never really believed even with a strong schedule we would have a legit shot at a New Year’s Eve bowl, but with this weak of a schedule I personally don’t think we’d be deserving (I understand covid and Boise and Pitt) but it’s hard for me to believe we can’t find someone more competitive. (It seems lots of teams are going to need to schedule more games if trying to bowl this year) Part of me thinks we’re avoiding teams who could knock us out of the top 25 as much as no one want to play us.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we started the year with a 12 game schedule. We lost ECU, Boise, Pitt, Ohio, Rice, ODU. We were down 6 games before the first kickoff. MH managed to pick up EKU, App, Mass, after Sept. 1, giving us 9 games so far. With open dates on 11/28, 12/5, and possibly 12/12, we may get a couple more. Remarkable job by the AD.

Garbage pickup imo and will taint a undefeated season if it happens, especially adding Rice if that’s the case. I never really believed even with a strong schedule we would have a legit shot at a New Year’s Eve bowl, but with this weak of a schedule I personally don’t think we’d be deserving (I understand covid and Boise and Pitt) but it’s hard for me to believe we can’t find someone more competitive. (It seems lots of teams are going to need to schedule more games if trying to bowl this year) Part of me thinks we’re avoiding teams who could knock us out of the top 25 as much as no one want to play us.
Of course there is no stated number of games or wins to go bowling this year. Everyone is eligible.
As for NY6 bowl, no doubt an undefeated AAC team gets in over Marshall. With our weak schedule I think a 1 loss AAC team gets in over an undefeated Marshall. Sad but true

Fellas, I don't expect the idiots at the CUSA office in Dallas to help us with anything. Rice will whine that they have to make the dreaded trip to WV and CUSA will relent and say, "no worries, we won't make you go to that nasty place - Huntington, VA." lol!
Funny...I’m with you all the way

I know everyone was holding out for a much bigger name but wanted to posted the point some above mentioned. First, of Hamrick scheduled zero more football games but kept everyone safe like now he would still get a pat on the back for a good job. He adds a team(128, see ODU and Rice) and leaves room for some December Magic, especially considering national rise in cases and possibly more postponing/canceling . Oh let’s not forget we end up scheduling at 25 team as a replacement in Appy. Some people need to take the long view. We get another game/reps for our team,fans,economy,etc. maybe we get a game for the basketball program or more/votes and better relationships with ADs.

It’s tough to schedule anyone during a season. Just because we want to play someone doesn’t mean that someone else doesn’t want to play them or they don’t have some sort of gentleman’s agreement in place with someone else. We aren’t getting anyone with any sort of football credibility in Huntington this late in the game. Any kind of a game/opponent trumps none at this point.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we started the year with a 12 game schedule. We lost ECU, Boise, Pitt, Ohio, Rice, ODU. We were down 6 games before the first kickoff. MH managed to pick up EKU, App, Mass, after Sept. 1, giving us 9 games so far. With open dates on 11/28, 12/5, and possibly 12/12, we may get a couple more. Remarkable job by the AD.
Nah, they want big name teams because they believe MU has the same scheduling power as ohio state or Bama.
Or that scheduling OOC games with MU is going to be worth disrupting the conference heavy schedule during that time frame.
They too easily seem to forget its a two way street...the other team has to agree to show up or at the very least, play the game.

As far as I have heard, UMass didn't even seem like they wanted to play, only scheduling 1 game the entire season despite being an independent. I don't doubt Hamrick has tried to schedule with better teams, given the schedules he's put out for MU already, but UMass may have been the only one to agree to a game.

Last edited:
It’s tough to schedule anyone during a season. Just because we want to play someone doesn’t mean that someone else doesn’t want to play them or they don’t have some sort of gentleman’s agreement in place with someone else. We aren’t getting anyone with any sort of football credibility in Huntington this late in the game. Any kind of a game/opponent trumps none at this point.

Exactly.

Do I need to remind everyone what happened when MU did not play for the 3 week span?
Oh, they dropped out of the top 25 and got replaced by teams who hadn't played a single down of football.
At this point, just showing activity by playing, regardless of who, is certainly what is being seen and counts more.

Twolf, are you daring to suggest that our "exalted" Commish and her minions out in Frisco flunked bonehead geography?

With this being their second game, Herd certainly will be facing a well prepared, if not formidable, opponent on November 7th!

• Haha
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Its pretty easy to be myopic, especially when we are good, but you have to look at scheduling us from other teams perspective... Why would BYU take a game against us halfway through the season? They are trying to go undefeated and make a New Years Day game too, and they are already ranked ahead of us. There is no incentive for them to play us, none.

No P5 team is even on the table – Since they are playing conference only schedules (same for the MAC and Mountain West).

So basically MH and staff had to sift through the AAC, Sun Belt, Independents and a small pool of FCS teams to find any non-conference games. He got us an easy buy game with EKU at home, a ranked App State team in Huntington, and now UMass in Huntington. Is it perfect? – No... Is it better than playing six games? - Absolutely.

The New Years Bowl game is fun to think about, but its not going to happen. CUSA is so shitty that unless MH somehow scheduled three ranked opponents in the non-conference, and we beat them all, a one-loss AAC team would still finish ahead of us, and I don't see anybody in the AAC beating CIncy more than once. Realistically, even if we go undefeated I don't think we can crack the top 15 in the rankings being in CUSA. There will be enough 0 or 1-loss teams from P5 leagues and the AAC to keep us that far down the list.

We are having our best season in years and have a defined path to win the East, win CUSA, and choose our bowl destination. Enjoy it, at the end of the year we can look back at how COVID screwed us.

Its pretty easy to be myopic, especially when we are good, but you have to look at scheduling us from other teams perspective... Why would BYU take a game against us halfway through the season? They are trying to go undefeated and make a New Years Day game too, and they are already ranked ahead of us. There is no incentive for them to play us, none.

No P5 team is even on the table – Since they are playing conference only schedules (same for the MAC and Mountain West).

So basically MH and staff had to sift through the AAC, Sun Belt, Independents and a small pool of FCS teams to find any non-conference games. He got us an easy buy game with EKU at home, a ranked App State team in Huntington, and now UMass in Huntington. Is it perfect? – No... Is it better than playing six games? - Absolutely.

The New Years Bowl game is fun to think about, but its not going to happen. CUSA is so shitty that unless MH somehow scheduled three ranked opponents in the non-conference, and we beat them all, a one-loss AAC team would still finish ahead of us, and I don't see anybody in the AAC beating CIncy more than once. Realistically, even if we go undefeated I don't think we can crack the top 15 in the rankings being in CUSA. There will be enough 0 or 1-loss teams from P5 leagues and the AAC to keep us that far down the list.

We are having our best season in years and have a defined path to win the East, win CUSA, and choose our bowl destination. Enjoy it, at the end of the year we can look back at how COVID screwed us.
Scheduling that game with those Flaming Idiots from Liberty is looking better than ever, so help me God.

Twolf, are you daring to suggest that our "exalted" Commish and her minions out in Frisco flunked bonehead geography?

With this being their second game, Herd certainly will be facing a well prepared, if not formidable, opponent on November 7th!
Keep in mind that BYU and Marshall are NOT competing for the same NY6 spot. BYU is not eligible for the G5 spot. They would have to beat out a P5 team and go as an at large entry. Those are are REALLY big

ADVERTISEMENT