ADVERTISEMENT

2022 W-L regular season predictions

Noticed that Gardner Webb plays at Coastal, MU and Liberty, all this year. They finished Last in the Big South last year.

Norfolk State plays at MU and JMU this year, had two FBS games last year as well. They were third in the MEAC.

Neither FCS should be competitive.

I think we end up 8 - 4 in the regular season; with big disappointment in the defense at ND and home against LA, Coastal and Appy;
good QBs who I"m afraid will shred our DBs. So we may be 2 - 2 against SBC at home, winning one I think we will lose.

Then, as much as I hate it, I could also see us losing to a very improved BGSU at their place, like we did last time. And given another potential surprise at Troy, we win one of two of these Should Win away games.

Last edited:
Noticed that Gardner Webb plays at Coastal, MU and Liberty, all this year. They finished Last in the Big South last year.

Norfolk State plays at MU and JMU this year, had two FBS games last year as well. They were third in the MEAC.

I think we end up 8 - 4 in the regular season; with big disappointment in the defense at ND and home against LA, Coastal and Appy;
good QBs who I"m afraid will shred our DBs. So we may be 2 - 2 against SBC at home, winning one I think we will lose.

Then, as much as I hate it, I could also see us losing to a very improved BGSU at their place, like we did last time. And given another potential surprise at Troy, we win one of two of these Should Win away games.

Does this mean the "Fire Huff" posts will be justified?
Half the people can't wait to do it.

• Haha
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
12-0 with the program’s new signature win in South Bend!!

.. side note I think Colombi and OL need to step up for it to be a good year, the performance of those two units can send us into two wildly different outcomes.
Agree. QB and OL will be keys.

Reactions: Jartard
Not from me. I firmly believe in him and his philosophy. He's the ball coach. Let him develop his team.
The sad reality is he most likely will never get to develop this team. 10+ wins and it wouldn't be surprised at all if he leaves. I'd be shocked if he's here past the 2023 season.

Reactions: ohio herd
11-1 but if a miracle could happen @ ND that could propel us to a 12-0 and a BCS Shot possibility!
1. BCS doesn't exist. It's thr Access Bowl or hell freezes over and we get in the playoff.

2. That 2nd FCS game will be an albatross around our neck. It had to happen in order for us to leave CUSA, but unless we beat ND and then smash everyone on the schedule by 3 or more TDs the voters will use it against us. Both FCS wins would have to be by 50 or more.

For us to get the access bowl in 2022 we'll have to leave room for zero doubt. It would also help if when we get Appy, CC, and ULL they're ranked.

I have no idea with 50 new players including QBs how you all can have ANY idea one way or the other how this will go.

Last edited:
The sad reality is he most likely will never get to develop this team. 10+ wins and it wouldn't be surprised at all if he leaves. I'd be shocked if he's here past the 2023 season.

So pick one...

You've complained he's not a good coach before this season has begun...

Yet you also expect him to be gone after 10+ wins basically after this season.

Do you expect him to make all those changes you endlessly ranted on yet also think he'll only be hired when winning 10+ games?

I think 8-4 is probably the median outcome... If Columbi balls out and the O-line are solid, we could win 9 or 10 (the defense should be very good with all the guys we have back)... If Columbi is average and the O-line subpar, it may be a fight to get bowl eligible.

Glass half full outlook:
Norfolk State -- W
Notre Dame -- L (I think we can at least be competitive)
Bowling Green -- W
Gardner Webb -- W
Troy -- W
Louisiana -- W (this may be the 'make or break' game of our season)
JMU -- W (they will be a good rivalry game, but not yet)
Coastal -- L
Old Dominion -- W
App State -- W
Georgia Southern -- W
Georgia State -- W

We win the East and Louisiana gets a rematch in the SBC title game.

Glass half empty outlook:
Norfolk State -- W
Notre Dame -- L
Bowling Green -- W
Gardner Webb -- W
Troy -- L
Louisiana -- L
JMU -- W
Coastal -- L
Old Dominion -- W
App State -- L
Georgia Southern -- W
Georgia State -- L

Finish 6-6 and have to wait and hope we get into a bowl game since two wins would be FCS teams. Play a random MAC school in Mobile on a Tuesday afternoon.

Norfolk State (IAA) W
Notre Dame L
BGSU L
Gardner Webb (I-AA) W
Troy L
Louisiana L
Coastal Carolina L
ODU W
Appalachian State L
GA Southern W
GA State W

5-7 3-7 vs I-A 0 wins vs. I-A teams with winning records, no bowl.

Curious to see how BGSU does at UCLA...

7-5 is my guess, but that may be too many wins. BG game will kind of define what type of team they're going to have. Lose that one, and it may result in a very long season.

So pick one...

You've complained he's not a good coach before this season has begun...

Yet you also expect him to be gone after 10+ wins basically after this season.

Do you expect him to make all those changes you endlessly ranted on yet also think he'll only be hired when winning 10+ games?
You really struggle at reading. I didn't say I predicted a 10+ win season. I was replying to the post about him developing the team. I do not believe that Huff is going to be here for the long haul to develop this program. Huff has already entertained leaving. He's looking to move up. I don't see him here past 2023. He's either going to boom or bust. One way or another I wouldn't be shocked if we're hiring a new HC for 2024.

And yes. Given the nature of college football and Huff being a hot name when he came in here it's not going to take all that much for him to get more offers. Duke was offering him the job before his first season was over. This has always been a try out for Huff.

Personally I really don't have a prediction on how this season is going to go. We are talented enough to get 8 wins or more, but we have enough question marks that a disappointing season is just as likely.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Norfolk State (IAA) W
Notre Dame L
BGSU L
Gardner Webb (I-AA) W
Troy L
Louisiana L
Coastal Carolina L
ODU W
Appalachian State L
GA Southern W
GA State W

5-7 3-7 vs I-A 0 wins vs. I-A teams with winning records, no bowl.
Ouch. Not too optimistic huh?

Not much reason to be.
I get the sentiment, especially with a QB we haven't seen take a live snap... But there are reasons to be optimistic. Starting with a pre-season All-American at RB and a defense that returns most of its impact players from last year (Beauplan, Neal, Gilmore, Cumberlander, Burton, Leggs, Abraham, etc).

Could MU finish 5-7? -- Certainly... Would that be a huge disappointment -- Absolutely.

Ouch. Not too optimistic huh?
1988, Sam is still mad Doc isn’t here. Anything he says about the current football program must be looked at through a very hypocritical lense. Everything that he believed about our conference, our schedule, our wins, our close losses during Docs tenure all did a complete 180 last year due to the fact he is still upset that holiday wasn’t given a 12th season.

1988, Sam is still mad Doc isn’t here. Anything he says about the current football program must be looked at through a very hypocritical lense. Everything that he believed about our conference, our schedule, our wins, our close losses during Docs tenure all did a complete 180 last year due to the fact he is still upset that holiday wasn’t given a 12th season.
Maybe Marshall FB isn't for him

You really struggle at reading. I didn't say I predicted a 10+ win season. I was replying to the post about him developing the team. I do not believe that Huff is going to be here for the long haul to develop this program. Huff has already entertained leaving. He's looking to move up. I don't see him here past 2023. He's either going to boom or bust. One way or another I wouldn't be shocked if we're hiring a new HC for 2024.

And yes. Given the nature of college football and Huff being a hot name when he came in here it's not going to take all that much for him to get more offers. Duke was offering him the job before his first season was over. This has always been a try out for Huff.

Personally I really don't have a prediction on how this season is going to go. We are talented enough to get 8 wins or more, but we have enough question marks that a disappointing season is just as likely.

I agree with you on this. Your wording is a bit off on the previous post but you and I see how this'll play out pretty much the same.

What I'm saying is the fans really don't seem to get that Huff doesn't need conference titles or even double digit win seasons to leave.
He really just needs to show he can get the team out of the tunnel without falling over.

That, for them and maybe you, is a tough pill to swallow.
Its also going to be an ongoing gamble with MU and a string of bad hires is enough to make the overly dramatic fans cry and whine and say, "oh life is over" and giving up on the team 3 games into the season.

I agree with you on this. Your wording is a bit off on the previous post but you and I see how this'll play out pretty much the same.

What I'm saying is the fans really don't seem to get that Huff doesn't need conference titles or even double digit win seasons to leave.
He really just needs to show he can get the team out of the tunnel without falling over.

That, for them and maybe you, is a tough pill to swallow.
Its also going to be an ongoing gamble with MU and a string of bad hires is enough to make the overly dramatic fans cry and whine and say, "oh life is over" and giving up on the team 3 games into the season.
It's not a hard pill to swallow for me at all. I have said from day 1 when he was hired that he will be really good and be hired away by the completion of year 3 or be terrible and fired. He just doesn't strike me as an average middle of the road guy. He's going to swing for the fences and either make contact or go down swinging.

His goal is to move on and keep moving. Marshall's long term success will heavily depend on AD Spears and who he brings in after Huff.

To your point on not needing a 10 win season or title to leave. You're not wrong. That was proven last season with Duke. However most people are envisioning Huff being that good and then developing the program. If he does in fact reach that 10 win mark then in all likelihood he is gone. That is what I was speaking to when I made that post about 10 wins. If we somehow beat ND his agent will be sifting through job offers until Huff chooses the one he wants.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
It's not a hard pill to swallow for me at all. I have said from day 1 when he was hired that he will be really good and be hired away by the completion of year 3 or be terrible and fired. He just doesn't strike me as an average middle of the road guy. He's going to swing for the fences and either make contact or go down swinging.

His goal is to move on and keep moving. Marshall's long term success will heavily depend on AD Spears and who he brings in after Huff.

To your point on not needing a 10 win season or title to leave. You're not wrong. That was proven last season with Duke. However most people are envisioning Huff being that good and then developing the program. If he does in fact reach that 10 win mark then in all likelihood he is gone. That is what I was speaking to when I made that post about 10 wins. If we somehow beat ND his agent will be sifting through job offers until Huff chooses the one he wants.

I don't doubt Huff won't swing for the fences. He's young, energetic, and is active in connecting with fans and players.
But as you said, 7 wins was enough for him to get some interest from the P5, not giving him the raosed bar of performance. It's one of those things where the guy will try his best but he also doesn't have to in order to get out of town.

There was already blowback from the offseason so if he improves by 1 win and has some good looking wins, he is gone.

The gamble is what MU can't afford to lose on. Snyder showed what happened if MU has a bad hire.

The main problem for Marshall University is not really HC’ing…it is WVU and I think the change has come that has allowed a new vision to come with a PRESIDENT AND AD hires. Huff is the man for his time. Why…..this is payback by Coach Saban who knows talent because of rejection by WVU that cause him to go to Kent. Which propelled him to excel! Marshall Vs ND will be a War ND will be fighting for it‘s life against a Thundering Hire! 24-21 Marshall miracle’s do happen!

I believe we had a much better team last year than our record indicated. We were in every game early and just became exhausted late. Coach Huff spotted that weakness and addressed in with recruiting and transfers. With an experienced QB, great running game (OL will be adequate) and balanced defense we are much better than last year. I believe Coach Huff and his staff are aware of this and is keeping a low profile. With that in mind I see us dominate with a 12-1 record. If we have injuries still no worse than 10-3. I’m always optimistic about The Herd but I feel really good about Coach Huff and his approach to winning.

When will discussion of the CURRENT coach, his disappointing and underperforming first season and what looks to be a disaster of a second (if you have a quarterback controversy, you don’t have a quarterback) finally be in order? When CH is 0-5 vs I-A teams this October? When he completes the season with a losing record, misses a bowl and enters 23 with a shot at Snyder’s record of length of service before beating a team with a winning record? When?

Let’s discuss CH, the CURRENT coach.

The main problem for Marshall University is not really HC’ing…it is WVU and I think the change has come that has allowed a new vision to come with a PRESIDENT AND AD hires. Huff is the man for his time. Why…..this is payback by Coach Saban who knows talent because of rejection by WVU that cause him to go to Kent. Which propelled him to excel! Marshall Vs ND will be a War ND will be fighting for it‘s life against a Thundering Hire! 24-21 Marshall miracle’s do happen!

The bots are evolving...impressive...most impressive.

When will discussion of the CURRENT coach, his disappointing and underperforming first season and what looks to be a disaster of a second (if you have a quarterback controversy, you don’t have a quarterback) finally be in order? When CH is 0-5 vs I-A teams this October? When he completes the season with a losing record, misses a bowl and enters 23 with a shot at Snyder’s record of length of service before beating a team with a winning record? When?

Let’s discuss CH, the CURRENT coach.

So you expected Huff to win 10 games in his first season?
Dude already has a winning season in his first try, so your prediction is pretty useless.

So you expected Huff to win 10 games in his first season?
Dude already has a winning season in his first try, so your prediction is pretty useless.
7-6, 6-6 vs I-A, zero wins versus teams with a winning record.

That is, unless you accept mediocrity, disappointing. That team should have won more games, including beating a team or two with a winning record.

This year’s team is far less talented. 5-7, 3-7 in I-A is a very valid prediction. This is not a good football team.

7-6, 6-6 vs I-A, zero wins versus teams with a winning record.

That is, unless you accept mediocrity, disappointing. That team should have won more games, including beating a team or two with a winning record.

This year’s team is far less talented. 5-7, 3-7 in I-A is a very valid prediction. This is not a good football team.

You're turning into the very people you were critical of just 2 years ago.

You're more fun when you're less crazy.

Let's say Sammy is correct in his 5-7 prediction...Huff might get a chance to develop "his own team".

Based on last season, I'm concerned that Huff may be a more articulate and entertaining Doc.
Really good HC's who take over a program win one or two games more than what would be a expected based upon the talent.
Huff won two or three games less.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT