ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Returnee news

It’s not NIL since as far as I know he’s not in the portal. Everything I’ve heard is he is weighing playing another year versus starting medical school.

The only possible NIL angle is maybe if someone threw him a deal he might put off med school. I think he plays for Marshall or just doesn’t play.

That’s why NIL and free transfers is killing college football.

48 months ago there was little to nothing to talk about out side of football season. Now there is actual news every day of the year and it’s not pictures of kids in jail.

Everyone talks college football news literally every day. Not who is going to win etc. but actual news.

So I hade to ask. Exactly how is that killing college football????

It’s not.

It’s bigger and better than ever and this time around…. It’s bigger and better for literally everyone involved. Not just coaches schools and fans. But everyone.

People saying otherwise really need to re evaluate things.

48 months ago there was little to nothing to talk about out side of football season. Now there is actual news every day of the year and it’s not pictures of kids in jail.

Everyone talks college football news literally every day. Not who is going to win etc. but actual news.

It’s not.

It’s bigger and better than ever and this time around…. It’s bigger and better for literally everyone involved. Not just coaches schools and fans. But everyone.

Yeah people talk about all the roster and NIL crap because it freaking sucks.

I’m sorry that I don’t get as much joy out of watching a team with 1/2 players I hadn’t heard of 6 months before, and with no players that I can say with very much confidence will be on the field for us next season.

Makes crap like this year even more disappointing. 1-2 in our big 3 home games. Losing our next 3 FBS games after maybe the biggest win in school history.

Yeah we finished the year strong, but none of that momentum will carry into next season because we’ll have 50 new players on the roster again.

If you don’t win a title, who cares. We’ll just start all over again next season. Will we be any good? Who knows? How can I be excited for next season when I’m literally clueless, about what kind of team we might field.

You can spin it anyway you want, but personalities matter. I contend we’ll never have another player come through as beloved as a Pennington, Leftwich, Curry. Because no one will be here long enough to endear themselves to the fan base.

My 8 year old son doesn’t particularly care about our record, but he likes having favorite players to pull for. Why am I going to encourage him to get attached to anybody that may leave as soon as they get started ?

If you don’t win a title, who cares. We’ll just start all over again next season. Will we be any good? Who knows? How can I be excited for next season when I’m literally clueless, about what kind of team we might field.

My 8 year old son doesn’t particularly care about our record, but he likes having favorite players to pull for. Why am I going to encourage him to get attached to anybody that may leave as soon as they get started ?
These two statements are spot on.

Teams are bringing in 45-50 new players a year in some cases... 50-60 percent of the roster... Arkansas State did it last year, I read somewhere they had 48 new faces (either freshmen or transfers) out of 90 total kids. The good news is, if you have a terrible year or two, you can turn things around quickly – See Tulane the last 2-3 years. The bad news is, if you have a good year or two, not only your coach but a bunch of your players you've been pulling for may move on to greener pastures at bigger programs, for more money – See Coastal Carolina.

Kids are not going to experience football the same way we did, and that's a shame. We got to watch Chad, Byron, Cato, etc for 4 years and see them grow into great players. In this day and age, 4 year guys are going to be exceedingly rare. The best players will "transfer up" and guys that don't see the field will "transfer down."

It’s not.

Creating buzz does not equal being good for the sport. It's real fun to see your best players leave because someone can pay them more and you're absolutely powerless to stop it.

IT'S A FREAKING BLAST!

Reactions: HERD_Rich
These two statements are spot on.

Teams are bringing in 45-50 new players a year in some cases... 50-60 percent of the roster... Arkansas State did it last year, I read somewhere they had 48 new faces (either freshmen or transfers) out of 90 total kids. The good news is, if you have a terrible year or two, you can turn things around quickly – See Tulane the last 2-3 years. The bad news is, if you have a good year or two, not only your coach but a bunch of your players you've been pulling for may move on to greener pastures at bigger programs, for more money – See Coastal Carolina.

Kids are not going to experience football the same way we did, and that's a shame. We got to watch Chad, Byron, Cato, etc for 4 years and see them grow into great players. In this day and age, 4 year guys are going to be exceedingly rare. The best players will "transfer up" and guys that don't see the field will "transfer down."
You can't win consistently though. It's not even just players getting paid to leave. You have a ton of players that don't realize their worth in the sport just jumping in and ending up with no teams. Turning your 1/2-1/3 of your roster over every season is not sustainable. Especially if you have a coaching staff that has limited coaching abilities.

The problem is that it isn't even close to an even trade off getting the guys that transfer down in place of the guys that transfer up. Yes we'll get a couple good FCS players, but for the most part the P5 players that are leaving in search of PT are not very good players. When we get those types they have done very little for us.

IIRC, 15 hours ago they changed the transfer rules.

FmOgn4bXwAYcZGF

sorry if the photo is HUGE.

I have absolutely no knowledge about it, but would bet a bit that Tulane's success is directly related to NIL, more than any other possible aspect of their program. They have supporters with very deep pockets.

I’m sorry that I don’t get as much joy out of watching a team with 1/2 players I hadn’t heard of 6 months before, and with no players that I can say with very much confidence will be on the field for us next season.
Pfffft. Being a Kentucky basketball fan, I've been dealing with this shit for years. Hate to say it, but you won't get used to it.

Reactions: HerdFan73
IIRC, 15 hours ago they changed the transfer rules.

FmOgn4bXwAYcZGF

sorry if the photo is HUGE.
Thanks for the update, this looks like it is for cases when a player is transferring a second time as an undergraduate though (not sure how many cases there are for players transferring multiple times as an undergraduate though).

Did see in the link above increase coaching numbers for basketball.

The NCAA is moving any from standardized testing score for initial eligibility.

Thanks for the update, this looks like it is for cases when a player is transferring a second time as an undergraduate though (not sure how many cases there are for players transferring multiple times as an undergraduate though).

Did see in the link above increase coaching numbers for basketball.

The NCAA is moving any from standardized testing score for initial eligibility.
That’s because colleges are moving away from standardized test scores

Maybe he doesn’t realize NFL players are under contracts (you know, like scholarships are contracts) and can’t just move every year to wherever new they want to play.

Reactions: HerdFan73
Maybe he doesn’t realize NFL players are under contracts (you know, like scholarships are contracts) and can’t just move every year to wherever new they want to play.
Not to mention each NFL team is a multi-million dollar entity with an average operating income of $109M that operates under a salary cap. Also within the league in which they belong teams CANNOT TAMPER.

Reactions: Elkview
name one nfl team that had 50+ turnover in the roster in one year
Valid point, but the correct question would be how many NFL teams had near 60% roster turnover as they only carry 54 players on an active roster. Still the answer is the one you were chasing. NONE. Even if they did it would be 100% because the team decided to flip the roster.

I bet you would be surprised at how many teams in the NFL had at, or near 50 percent turnover.

Also, we were the exception last year with teams having near 50 percent turnover.

Also, it should not be odd to have near 50 percent turnover after a coach gets done with his first year and was able to retain a good bit of the players from the previous regime.

It’s not NIL since as far as I know he’s not in the portal. Everything I’ve heard is he is weighing playing another year versus starting medical school.

The only possible NIL angle is maybe if someone threw him a deal he might put off med school. I think he plays for Marshall or just doesn’t play.
Why can’t he do both? Go to MU med school and play?? Back in the day UK has a LB that did that practiced 1. Day a week and played the games. Kovich( sp?)

I bet you would be surprised at how many teams in the NFL had at, or near 50 percent turnover.

Also, we were the exception last year with teams having near 50 percent turnover.

Also, it should not be odd to have near 50 percent turnover after a coach gets done with his first year and was able to retain a good bit of the players from the previous regime.
List them. And I’m not talking about practice squad. I want full travel squad roster turnover due to free agency since that what you compared transfer portal to

Last edited:
I think the NCAA needs to allow official practices to occur throughout the summer as a means to get new players in and familiar with the playbook.

It's still not enough time, but at least it will be something to help out with this mess NCAA created.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
ADVERTISEMENT