ADVERTISEMENT

3-0

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
When the season began I expected a good season. I felt we could go 10-2 maybe 9-3. However, with the change in schedule etc, I now believe we are going to run the table. Grant Wells is what this team has been missing since Cato left. I really think we win C-USA and go 9-0. I do not think we get the NYD6 bid that will go to UC in all likelihood. However, a decent bowl game should await us. If we win out and end up 10-0 we have a shot for the Top 15.

When the season began I expected a good season. I felt we could go 10-2 maybe 9-3. However, with the change in schedule etc, I now believe we are going to run the table. Grant Wells is what this team has been missing since Cato left. I really think we win C-USA and go 9-0. I do not think we get the NYD6 bid that will go to UC in all likelihood. However, a decent bowl game should await us. If we win out and end up 10-0 we have a shot for the Top 15.
The AAC is tough. If any team makes it out of there undefeated it will be almost impossible to leap them...but it’s also a league capable of cannibalizing it’s own. That’s our best case scenario coupled with App State running the table and winning the Fun Belt. We’d be undefeated with a win over another conference champion.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
The AAC is tough. If any team makes it out of there undefeated it will be almost impossible to leap them...but it’s also a league capable of cannibalizing it’s own. That’s our best case scenario coupled with App State running the table and winning the Fun Belt. We’d be undefeated with a win over another conference champion.
I agree however I think a one loss AAC school would rank higher than us

Thats the problem the entire P5 is going to have, instead of 3 OOC games with 2 being tune up games/easy wins, they'll have to contend with their entire conference schedule, with a much higher likelihood they lose.

I think MU could sneak into the NY6 if they went undefeated and the AAC has a 2 loss team. I doubt the MWC is going to be strong enough on its own for someone like Boise who routinely plays a good OOC opponent, to get in undefeated on an 8 game schedule.
MU absolutely needs to play that ECU game and schedule either Rice or someone else to get us to 10 games played.

Reactions: cottrell75
We won't get a coveted bowl slot. We'll got what we get every year; a NFS C-USA 4th tier bowl. But the good news is we won't be going to Nassau.

Last I checked, Marshall would get South Carolina in Brimingham.
I also saw Louisana as another potential matchup.

Yep, GHMY, those are the 2 ESPN projections. Louisiana would be the opponent in a New Orleans Bowl. CBSsports.com has the Herd playing Air Force in the New Mexico Bowl.

We need so much help to even sniff the New Years bowl game its probably not worth getting our hopes up... A one-loss AAC team would be ahead of us if its Cincy or UCF. An undefeated (or maybe even one loss) MWC team would be ahead of us, especially if its the ESPN darlings in Boise. Currently Louisiana is ahead of us, although I think they will lose at least one. If Army's only loss at the end of the year is to Cincy, they may jump a 9-0 MU team, etc.

Our strength of schedule is so bad this year with the Boise and Pitt games being cancelled that even at 9-0 I don't think there is much of a chance to get the New Years bowl.

The good news, an undefeated CUSA title would be a massive step in the right direction, and allow MU to pick its bowl destination/opponent. That's all we can control.

Army is not a G5 team and can NOT get that spot. You must be a G5 champion to get it

As an independent Army, and BYU don’t get evaluated for the G5 NY6 spot. They can only get a spot in one of those bowls as an At-Large. They follow the same rules as Notre Dame normally has to.
Correct. The NY6 spot is for a G5 champion only. No BYU, Army, Notre Dame, UMASS, Liberty or any other Independent

We need so much help to even sniff the New Years bowl game its probably not worth getting our hopes up... A one-loss AAC team would be ahead of us if its Cincy or UCF. An undefeated (or maybe even one loss) MWC team would be ahead of us, especially if its the ESPN darlings in Boise. Currently Louisiana is ahead of us, although I think they will lose at least one. If Army's only loss at the end of the year is to Cincy, they may jump a 9-0 MU team, etc.

Our strength of schedule is so bad this year with the Boise and Pitt games being cancelled that even at 9-0 I don't think there is much of a chance to get the New Years bowl.

The good news, an undefeated CUSA title would be a massive step in the right direction, and allow MU to pick its bowl destination/opponent. That's all we can control.

I don't think the AAC has a clear cut winner. Cincy has the best chance, but even their schedule is going to be tough.
One thing MU does have over MWC is a solid win against a ranked OOC opponent. Also, since the MWC is starting so late, will ESPN even have an interest over Louisiana or Marshall? Two teams who've been around since the start and have had some good games?
Also, if MU beats LT this weekend, I expect LT to win out except against UAB.
If MU gets UAB in the title game, it'll help our cause since UAB is also getting votes.

I don't think the AAC has a clear cut winner. Cincy has the best chance, but even their schedule is going to be tough.

Winner of Cincy/UCF has the inside track to possibly go undefeated. And even if they dont, either of those teams with one loss will still be ranked ahead of MU undefeated... In order for MU to jump the entire AAC we would need them to not have a single team be undefeated and Cincy/UCF to both lose twice... We could jump a 2-loss AAC champ, but probably not a 1-loss AAC champ.

Reactions: marshallsig
Winner of Cincy/UCF has the inside track to possibly go undefeated. And even if they dont, either of those teams with one loss will still be ranked ahead of MU undefeated... In order for MU to jump the entire AAC we would need them to not have a single team be undefeated and Cincy/UCF to both lose twice... We could jump a 2-loss AAC champ, but probably not a 1-loss AAC champ.
UCF has a loss already

Reactions: cottrell75
Coastal Carolina is getting exposure...and if they can beat Louisiana on Wednesday, look out.

Herd needs Louisiana to beat Coastal. Later this season IIRC Louisiana plays at UAB. A Blazer win there followed by a subsequent loss to MU in the CUSA title game also helps. Herd needs Appy to win out and snag another Sun Belt title. As for the AAC, MU needs Houston-SMU-UCF-Tulsa-Memphis and Cincy to take turns beating each other up in the coming weeks. Marshall's margin of error is razor thin when it comes to getting a real "plum" in bowl selection. Everything needs to perfectly align for the Herd to have any chance!

Herd needs Louisiana to beat Coastal. Later this season IIRC Louisiana plays at UAB. A Blazer win there followed by a subsequent loss to MU in the CUSA title game also helps. Herd needs Appy to win out and snag another Sun Belt title. As for the AAC, MU needs Houston-SMU-UCF-Tulsa-Memphis and Cincy to take turns beating each other up in the coming weeks. Marshall's margin of error is razor thin when it comes to getting a real "plum" in bowl selection. Everything needs to perfectly align for the Herd to have any chance!
Thats a lot of scenarios

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT