ADVERTISEMENT

400 MILLIONAIRES & BILLIONAIRES TELL CONGRESS DO NOT INCREASE THE DEBT

dherd

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 23, 2007
More than 400 American millionaires and billionaires are sending a letter to Congress this week urging Republican lawmakers not to cut their taxes.

The wealthy Americans — including doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs and chief executives — say the GOP is making a mistake by reducing taxes on the richest families at a time when the nation's debt is high and inequality is back at the worst level since the 1920s.

The letter calls on Congress not to pass any tax bill that “further exacerbates inequality” and adds to the debt. Instead of petitioning tax cuts for the wealthy, the letter tells Congress to raise taxes on rich people like them. It is being released publicly this week, as Republicans debate legislation that would add $1.5 trillion to the debt to pay for widespread tax cuts for businesses and individuals.https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ss-dont-cut-our-taxes/?utm_term=.360332ba60dd

The other 10 million millionaires should be paying more also.
Honest question. Lets say you have a good year and make 1 million dollars. How much should the government take. And explain why

Last edited:
Here comes the:

38069-Breakdance-Spin-Gif.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderCat98
I’ve asked this question continually with little responses with a serious answer. How does higher taxes raise the incomes of those in the lower brackets?

Chances are these “millionaires” have no idea either. They just want to be on record that they “care”. Total hypocrisy.

Another thing. Will there ever be a time when Dtard doesn’t post a link of news that isn’t a couple of days old?

I’ve asked this question continually with little responses with a serious answer. How does higher taxes raise the incomes of those in the lower brackets?

Chances are these “millionaires” have no idea either. They just want to be on record that they “care”. Total hypocrisy.

Another thing. Will there ever be a time when Dtard doesn’t post a link of news that isn’t a couple of days old?
Thats an easier answer. Govt trickle down

Bullshit there is no way they are paying 49% when the top rate is only 40%. Unless you are including state and local taxes

You said the government, and as far as I can tell there are state and local governments in addition to the federal govt.

You said the government, and as far as I can tell there are state and local governments in addition to the federal govt.

We were discussing the federal government. I assumed you were intelligent enough to understand that. Obviously I was wrong. Now I’m going to ask again what FEDERAL income taxes rate do you feel millionaires should pay.

We were discussing the federal government. I assumed you were intelligent enough to understand that. Obviously I was wrong. Now I’m going to ask again what FEDERAL income taxes rate do you feel millionaires should pay.

68% top marginal

amazing how greed is all for giving a majority of his earnings to the government after all but going out of business. pos hypocrite.

amazing how greed is all for giving a majority of his earnings to the government after all but going out of business. pos hypocrite.

Not nearly as bad as a mouthbreather who supports harming the sick, the elderly, and children in order to give billionaires tax breaks. Moron.

It's a big step for greed. He admits that you should only keep 32% of the money you work for.

It's an even bigger step for a moron like you to admit to the ignorance that a top marginal tax rate applies to every penny you make.
I have come to realize on this board hardly anyone understands the current tax brackets and how they work.

I prefer to focus on the ignorance that suggests millionaires and billionaires don't pay a majority of the federal income tax receipts now, while a majority of Americans pay little to no Fed Income tax at all.

It's an even bigger step for a moron like you to admit to the ignorance that a top marginal tax rate applies to every penny you make.
No shit Sherlock. you just think that the cardiologist that just did a triple bypass and saved someone's live only deserves 32 cents of every dollar they make over one million. Now what do you think the govt should get for people making 100k 500k and 750k

No shit Sherlock. you just think that the cardiologist that just did a triple bypass and saved someone's live only deserves 32 cents of every dollar they make over one million. Now what do you think the govt should get for people making 100k 500k and 750k

It's not a matter of deserve, moron, it's a matter of whether or not we pay the nation's bills, or not. You moron cons need to figure that out. We can't pay the bills under the current tax rates and you morons want to lower the income of the federal government, or you want to attempt to cure the problem by making the poor, elderly, and children pay the cost. You're still swallowing the trickle down puke. Your doctor doesn't deserve lower taxes any more than a ditch digger deserves more pay.

It's not a matter of deserve, moron, it's a matter of whether or not we pay the nation's bills, or not. You moron cons need to figure that out. We can't pay the bills under the current tax rates and you morons want to lower the income of the federal government, or you want to attempt to cure the problem by making the poor, elderly, and children pay the cost. You're still swallowing the trickle down puke. Your doctor doesn't deserve lower taxes any more than a ditch digger deserves more pay.
Why do only the "rich" have to pay the bills. Everyone needs to have skin in the game period end of discussion. And it's time to lower the bills. We have to get rid of some of the excessive spending. And yes I know the GOP budget adds trillions to that.

Why do only the "rich" have to pay the bills. Everyone needs to have skin in the game period end of discussion. And it's time to lower the bills. We have to get rid of some of the excessive spending. And yes I know the GOP budget adds trillions to that.

Because the wealthy have all the money. You want everyone to have skin in the game, fine, raise the minimum wage to where they can afford skin in the game. End of discussion. Lower the bills?...start with the military, corporate subsidies, make it criminal to have offshore accounts, eliminate political retirement benefits, reduce political flight time, etc. And if you know before hand that Republicans are going to whine about debt and then turn around and increase it by giving tax breaks to the wealthy soon as they have the congressional numbers tell us why again you vote them into office.

Because the wealthy have all the money. You want everyone to have skin in the game, fine, raise the minimum wage to where they can afford skin in the game. End of discussion. Lower the bills?...start with the military, corporate subsidies, make it criminal to have offshore accounts, eliminate political retirement benefits, reduce political flight time, etc. And if you know before hand that Republicans are going to whine about debt and then turn around and increase it by giving tax breaks to the wealthy soon as they have the congressional numbers tell us why again you vote them into office.

Let's see I have a family member where she works(did't finish college or anything but had the opportunity), has a bum husband that sits around and does nothing. A bum son that sit around a does nothing and it is not even trying to better himself. The daughter marries a loser who was run off and he was doing nothing and she got knocked up.

They get back their 10 grand a year or whatever in EIC. BUm money all the time, but spend money on stupid shit and drink, party, and smoke cigs and dope.

But, i am supposed to feel sorry for them.

Let's see I have a family member where she works(did't finish college or anything but had the opportunity), has a bum husband that sits around and does nothing. A bum son that sit around a does nothing and it is not even trying to better himself. The daughter marries a loser who was run off and he was doing nothing and she got knocked up.

They get back their 10 grand a year or whatever in EIC. BUm money all the time, but spend money on stupid shit and drink, party, and smoke cigs and dope.

But, i am supposed to feel sorry for them.

That doesn't represent the majority of americans. So don't go there.

49%
Because there are people making less than $100,000 who pay 49%.

You'll have to give me a specific state or situation that this occurs, because it seems counterintuitive to my personal experience. The most severe case of the effective tax rate (the actual taxes you pay) that I can think of is a person who files single and who is also self employed (has to pay employer and employee FICA at 15.3% total) and takes a standard deduction rather than itemizing. Let's use a WV resident as an example.

Files Single-self employed
*Gross Income: 100,000
Personal Exemption: $4050
Standard Deduction: $6350

So after personal and standard deduction a person making $100,000 per year will pay taxes on $89, 600. So if you apply the federal tax rate to this for 2017 the actual federal taxes paid will be $18,139. The federal taxes actually paid is equivalent to a little over 18%. Where people confuse the tax bracket is believing that the top effective rate for their income is what they pay on all of their wages. They don't. After deductions (and I took the absolute minimum) the person pays a graduated rate. Here's how it works...

Federal Filing Single
10%............$0 to $9,325
15%"...........$9,325 to $37,950
25%............$37,950 to $91,900

So again, on my above scenario a person grossing $100,000 after deductions will pay federal taxes of around $18,138 or a little over 18%.

Now let's look at WV state taxes...

WV State Tax
Fling Single
Personal Exemption: $2000
Standard Deduction: $0
Taxable income: $98,000

WV State taxes are graduated as well. Here's what it looks like...

For earnings between $0.00 and $10,000.00, you'll pay 3%
For earnings between $10,000.00 and $25,000.00, you'll pay 4% plus $300.00
For earnings between $25,000.00 and $40,000.00, you'll pay 4.5% plus $900.00
For earnings between $40,000.00 and $60,000.00, you'll pay 6% plus $1,575.00
For earnings over $60,000.00, you'll pay 6.5% plus $2,775.00

So a person who makes $100,000 will pay taxes on $98,000 after personal exemption. Applying above table they will pay taxes to the state of WV in the amount of $5245. This is a little less than 5.3% of $100,000.

So...lets add it up...

Federal Taxes: $18,138
State Taxes: $5245
FICA: $15,300

Total Taxes: $38,683

That's an effective rate of between 38% to 39% for the absolute worst case scenario. If that same person wasn't self employed FICA would be cut in half (they would only have to pay half or 7.65%) and their total tax liability would be only $31,033 or just at 31%. That's a far cry from 49%.

And that was a worst case scenario. Let's look at a more traditional family of a husband, wife, and two kids that gross $100,000 and takes the standard deduction. After the standard deduction ($6350) and the personal exemptions (4 X $4050= $16,200), the family would pay income taxes on $77,450. If you apply the federal tax table for married filing jointly (different than above), the amount of taxes paid are $10,849. That effective rate is just shy of 11%.

On WV state taxes this family would have to pay state income taxes on $92,000 after the personal exemption (4 X $2000). Applying the WV tax rate for married filing jointly, the WV state taxes would be $4855. FICA would be the same. So let's add it up...

Federal Taxes: $10, 849
State Taxes: $4855
FICA: $7650

Total Taxes: $23,354 or an effective tax rate of 23.4%

So...worst case scenario 38%. Typical family scenario (with least amount of deductions because I assumed standard over itemized) at an effective rate of a little over 23%.

Again...the 49% scenario seems counterintuitive so you'll have to give a specific situation. Even with city/local taxes I can't imagine reaching that number on $100,000 per year.

This politifact is rated "half true" because it doesn't consider all of the information. From the article you link..

"Baldwin said middle-class Americans "pay a higher tax rate than millionaires and billionaires."
Some do and some don’t.
For a statement that is partially accurate, but leaves out important details, our rating is half true."

I understand your point. But for fairness and accuracy it needs pointed out that when you throw out things like 49% tax it needs to be clarified. No one is paying 49% of their income in taxes making $100,000. The article you linked stated the tax rate applies to only taxable income. That doesn't consider deductions and exemptions. Like my example points out, a typical two child family with the absolute minimum standard deduction and personaL exemption only pays income on $77,000 of the &100,000 gross. Then when you consider both federal and state have marginal tax rates, the effective tax rate is all that matters. And it isn't close to 49%.

So if you are going to make a vaLid and fair comparison, use the effective tax rate. If that shows that millionaires are paying less you have a valid point. There's a lot you can hang your hat on without throwing out deceptive numbers.

"Baldwin said middle-class Americans "pay a higher tax rate than millionaires and billionaires."

^^^that is what was rated as half true

This part is fact..."But looking at the 90th percentile in each group, the below-$100,000 group paid a rate of 49 percent, more than the 37 percent in the millionaire group."

And it's a fact that some middle class earners pay a higher percentage of their income than millionaires.

^^^that is what was rated as half true

This part is fact..."But looking at the 90th percentile in each group, the below-$100,000 group paid a rate of 49 percent, more than the 37 percent in the millionaire group."

And it's a fact that some middle class earners pay a higher percentage of their income than millionaires.
Only because their income come s from investment/capital gains. It’s not taxed the same as ordinary income not should it be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT