ADVERTISEMENT

5 worst losses of the 21st century....

I would have to go with a write-in vote for blowing the home game with WVU.

I'm guessing that had to be top five worst losses, and certainly one of the most painful of all time. Granted, they were huge underdogs, but when you have the game basically won, those tend to cut the deepest.
Meech - Absolutely. Ppl who were in attendance were devastated. I was watching on TV and could feel the mo switching.....dreaded feeling!!

Revised:
1. WVU 2011
2. New Hampshire
3. WKU

Cincy was just a complete ass-kicking. I don’t know if it belongs here, but it was over so quickly...

Reactions: Herdsavedme
Revised:
1. WVU 2011
2. New Hampshire
3. WKU

Cincy was just a complete ass-kicking. I don’t know if it belongs here, but it was over so quickly...
Easily the Bowl loss in Fort Worth to Cincinnati! The worse effort from a Herd team I had ever witnessed. That includes during the long losing streak during the 70’s and early 80’s....

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Easily the Bowl loss in Fort Worth to Cincinnati! The worse effort from a Herd team I had ever witnessed. That includes during the long losing streak during the 70’s and early 80’s....
Yep. Team didn’t care, cold as hell, not the way the Pruitt era should have ended...

A few on Pruett, a few on Snyder. Most on Doc - against weaker competition for the most part.

K-State - Skinner is driving for the winning score, inside the 15. Could have called a time out....or spiked it......but as I recall he threw a pick. Ballgame

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Huh? How is that relevant to the conversation at hand?
You were speaking of how Pruett quit on the team. Just saying that according to what Huff has been saying, seems like our last staff did as well during certain points of the season. Pruett wasn’t an angel but the man could coach circles around anyone we have had. I just hope Huff can get us over the average/ mediocre hump we’ve been stuck at for 15 years.

I sat in the stadium against New Hampshire until the lights were off, for real. I looked at the top of the bleachers and truly wondered what it would feel like if i hurled my body over the edge. Lucky for you guys, the tequila had my legs too tired to even walk up the bleachers to take a peak.

But, as bad as that day was, and as bad as 2014 was...nothing, and I mean NOTHING matches that loss in 2010 against that crap hole institution north of us.

Although, i still think the most program crippling loss since 1990 was the road loss at Bowling Green in 1998. That one day, prevented us from being what Boise is right now.

Aaron - wow. You’ve got me beat!! I vote you into the Pantheon of “die”hard Herd fans. Seriously!
My in-person worst loss to stomach was @ NC State in (I believe) ‘91. Scored late 4th to go up vs AP #12 Wolfpack. They score twice in the last 2 mins, including the best onside kick bounce in the history of college football, + a 4th & 10 incompletion that was followed by a 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi pass interference flag to extend their game winning drive and win by 1 or 2 pts. My cousin & I drove back to Winston; not a word was spoken!!

I remember where I was for that loss. That was brutal.

Your drive home was similar to my drive home from BG. No words were said. No bathroom stops were made. No fast food was obtained. The other two guys in my car, were not very happy, but they knew not to talk!

You were speaking of how Pruett quit on the team. Just saying that according to what Huff has been saying, seems like our last staff did as well during certain points of the season. Pruett wasn’t an angel but the man could coach circles around anyone we have had. I just hope Huff can get us over the average/ mediocre hump we’ve been stuck at for 15 years.
We have concrete evidence on BP quitting on his team. There is no concrete evidence of Doc doing that. Besides the conversation was about MU doing what it needed to do to keep BP. They had it was BP that didn’t hold up his end of the deal

We have concrete evidence on BP quitting on his team. There is no concrete evidence of Doc doing that. Besides the conversation was about MU doing what it needed to do to keep BP. They had it was BP that didn’t hold up his end of the deal
Don't need concrete evidence of Doc quitting on his team, just a good set of eyes.

Don't need concrete evidence of Doc quitting on his team, just a good set of eyes.

Doc just had too much of that Don Nehlen ultra conservative mindset ingrained in his coaching psyche/philosophy!! Could never overcome it during his MU tenure. Consequently, we got use to his punts from the opponent's 30, 35 yard line; his failure to "go for the Jugular" when he had opponents down and had the opportunity to put them away, and the like. Letting the opponents maintain the will to win, stay in the game, etc., ultimately was a key factor in Doc's demise at MU, IMO!

Reactions: ru4_mu2
Doc just had too much of that Don Nehlen ultra conservative mindset ingrained in his coaching psyche/philosophy!! Could never overcome it during his MU tenure. Consequently, we got use to his punts from the opponent's 30, 35 yard line; his failure to "go for the Jugular" when he had opponents down and had the opportunity to put them away, and the like. Letting the opponents maintain the will to win, stay in the game, etc., ultimately was a key factor in Doc's demise at MU, IMO!

Well, that and he couldn't coach worth a shit.

Chris - You are right! Maybe I had blotted that one out of my hard drive. During the Bernie Morris era, right?
Bernie was our starting QB that season but he sat out the New Hampshire debacle due to to injury, we played Brian Anderson as a Frosh in that tilt!

• Angry
I actually think the 2004 loss to Akron was one of the worse. Riding a 5 game win streak, on ESPN 2, playing for another conference East championship, and we blow a 21 point lead late in the 3rd quarter. Seemed to be the beginning of us losing the aurora around the program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT